Hardik Pandya v Irfan Pathan - which player had more success in international cricket?

35 minutes ago, Trichromatic said:

who do you think has been more successful?

HP even at his peak isn't a patch on IF - Irfan was the key reason why we'd win the 2004 ODI series in Pak, also one of the major reasons for the win in test series there! HP with his "karke aaya" attitude feels like an entitled arsehole in comparison :whack3:

7 minutes ago, R!TTER said:

HP even at his peak isn't a patch on IF - Irfan was the key reason why we'd win the 2004 ODI series in Pak, also one of the major reasons for the win in test series there! HP with his "karke aaya" attitude feels like an entitled arsehole in comparison :whack3:

Pandya won ODI series v Aus for India and a test v Eng.

20 minutes ago, sarchasm said:

Yes, but Pandya was no less impressive in CT17 final. And he was the MotM against ENG the following year. Pathan turned to POO in terms of bowling output, his forte. We'll find out how Pandya goes in what's left of his career.

That was in a T20 game although he did do well at Trent Bridge with a 50 and a 5-fer. 

Can say when pandya's career ends. 

Pathan kept declining year after year but still had match winning performances 

Pandya career has kind of hit a block with injury but once his bowling is back it will be on rise and i dnt see him declining like Pathan.. Also i have a feeling he ll end up becoming the captain.

Pathan's bowling was more strong and Pandya's batting , to make a strong career in batting Pandya needs to bat up. Any player needs full opportunity , Pathan as a bowler always had full quota n batting became more effective once he was send up the order.

If i make an ATG indian ODI side pathan will always be in consideration, he was an extremely valuable cricketer

I think overall Irfan had a higher ceiling.  He didn't do justice to his talent & he was also handled poorly.  That being said Peak Irfan still wipes the floor with Hardik.

Hardik's career is far from over & has good few years left as well but he seems to plagued by fitness issues as well.  So let's see where he ends up. 

Edited by Lone Wolf

Anyone has idea why Pathan changed his action, Cant recall as I was kid at that time. Here we were watching him picking up hattrick in 2006 and he was dropped and had to watch him coming up with different action in 2007. What made him to do so?

Edited by Bigg Brother
1 hour ago, Bigg Brother said:

Anyone has idea why Pathan changed his action, Can recall as I was kid at that time. Here we were watching him picking up hattrick in 2006 and he was dropped and had to watch him coming up with different action in 2007. What made him to do so?

2005 home series against pakistan was 1st time - from side on he shited to open chested. He had an injury while bowling in 2004 test against aus in banglore i think where he bowled at good speed.

At that time all indian seamers struggled with lack of knowledge n too much advice. U shud stick to ur coaches n if needed some help from an international player but be careful that he doesnt change ur basic game. It happened a lot, balaji changed it....nehra lost his wrist position for a while, ishant lost it, sreesanth other arm kept falling, zak had his issues

3 hours ago, Bigg Brother said:

Anyone has idea why Pathan changed his action, Can recall as I was kid at that time. Here we were watching him picking up hattrick in 2006 and he was dropped and had to watch him coming up with different action in 2007. What made him to do so?

It was the WI series in 2006 that precipitated his end as ODI bowler of excellence. Gayle & Sarwan neutralized him & he was never the same bowler again. It was hard to imagine Irfan sitting out of first XI in WC 2007 but it happened & that WI series was the start of decline.

In test, Irfan was always a minnow basher. He feasted on Bangladesh & Zim mostly. Zak's revival in late 2006 spelled doomed for Irfan from both formats.

About changing action, he was trying too much & from the outside it seemed he was getting too much inputs/coaching. He got confused between becoming a swing bowler or a pace bowler. Then apparently there was a case him swinging the ball from the hand & not late swing unlike Sreesanth during that time & he tried to rectify all that & got worse in process.He should have focused on becoming someone like Vaas or Bracken but he wanted to be the next Wasim & that was the end of the story.

In so far as this topic is concerned, I think Irfan was a very overrated cricketer & so is Hardik at the moment. So there is a direct similarity there.

Edited by SK_IH

Irfan pathan was our opening bowler. Pandya is at best 2nd change bowler. Who can forget that hatrick. Three dream deliveries.  More skillful With batting Pathan is technically very good. Even as 19 year old he defied ATG  Australian team bowling for close to 5 hours.. IRfan pathan was more versatile.  Pandya scores in only one area which is power hitting. 

Pathan is an overall better cricketer, his bowling was of a high quality, whereas as Pandya looks like he's more interested in things outside of cricket. His fitness is in shambles and for a professional athlete, if he is more interested in hair cuts, shades, karke aaaya and all, over his physical fitness, he's is a big ZERO in my books. It's like singers not taking care of their voices which are a gift of God and indulging in Drugs & unwanted activities. 

Pandya is going to be a bigger under achiever than Pathan due to his fitness.