Olympic medalists from Indian states

Trichromatic

28 minutes ago, Trichromatic said:

Those medal count includes hockey medals.

Gujarat became a state in 1960. Earlier it was part of Bombay State ... Ind has been participating in Olympics since 1900. 

On a side note, I do not know why Indians worry about Olympics. Sports is one of the last thing India should be worried about considering it needs to work on its infrastructure - waste management, polluted rivers, and so on. I see that a state like UP has 11 medals but totally garbaged River Ganga. 

In Gujarat, people enjoy a higher level of comfort than many of the other states. Which is more beneficial for 208 of 208 weeks than 2 weeks of 208 weeks every 4 years. 

Edited by zen

9 minutes ago, zen said:

Gujarat became a state in 1960. Earlier it was part of Bombay State ... Ind has been participating in Olympics since 1900. 

I do not know why Indians worry about Olympics. Sports is one of the last thing India should be worried about considering it needs to work on its infrastructure - waste management, polluted rivers, and so on. I see that a state like UP has 11 medals but totally garbaged River Ganga. 

In Gujarat, people enjoy a higher level of comfort than many of the other states. Which is more beneficial for 208 of 208 weeks than 2 weeks of 208 weeks every 4 years. 

you don’t have to even argue here, it’s dumb topic anyways. NE is poorly governed and has had internal turmoil and they have produced Olympic champions doesn’t mean that the takeaway is  that internal turmoil produces athletes lol.

1 minute ago, maniac said:

you don’t have to even argue here, it’s dumb topic anyways. NE is poorly governed and has had internal turmoil and they have produced Olympic champions doesn’t mean that the takeaway is  that internal turmoil produces athletes lol.

Agree ... When I see such Indian posts on twitter, YT, etc., it only makes me wonder if many folks from India pollute everywhere whether it offline  - physical pollution (streets, rivers, etc.) or online - mental pollution (twitter and stuff) :((

A few years ago, I was enthusiastic about changing India. I wanted to do something for the people ... But I encountered a learned man who said that you are among a very small percentage of people. Most of the people in India are not like you. They will not change 

Some people are getting bitter because their beloved state's contribution has been dwarfed by other states. 

Wasn't aware that Punjab has been so dominant and Maharashtra's contribution is even more shocking. 

Just lol @ Gujrat, Rajasthan, Kerala ( Big Strong Beef Eaters ) 

Don't give a crap about Olympics but Eye opening stats.

4 hours ago, zen said:

From what I recall, Gujarat is more into team sports such as Cricket & Hockey 

Not hockey, can't recall any Gujju player since I started following the sport, even the 70s and 80s teams (last era to win WC, Oly) didn't have any representation from Guj. 

Impressive in cricket though!!!

Edited by Gollum

Historically Punjab, UP, TN, Odisha, MP, Karnataka have given us the best hockey players. Karnataka, Odisha mostly in the last 30 years when we haven't done well at Olympics level. Bengal too has given us a couple of all time Indian squad contenders, Keshav Chandra Dutt and the Anglo-Indian star Leslie Claudius.  

Maharashtra is a surprise, maybe because of Bombay.

Most hockey Olympians settled down in Bengal because Calcutta was had one of the first successfully run and popular professional club/league system for hockey in the world. I remember a Telegraph article from 15-20 years back which mentioned that Bengal houses max Olympic medalists in India with photos of many Sikh hockey stars from our golden era, all of whom had settled down in the state capital. 

Edited by Gollum

Misleading map purposely posted by OP...

15 member hockey team , say all from punjab win a medal 100 years back vs 1 individual wins a medal from another state - does it mean punjab is 15 times, lol no..it's just equal medal count which is what is shown when world medal-count is compared.

Edited by randomGuy

4 hours ago, rageaddict said:

Some people are getting bitter because their beloved state's contribution has been dwarfed by other states. 

Wasn't aware that Punjab has been so dominant and Maharashtra's contribution is even more shocking. 

Just lol @ Gujrat, Rajasthan, Kerala ( Big Strong Beef Eaters ) 

Don't give a crap about Olympics but Eye opening stats.

Andho me kana raja. Internationally India stands nowhere in Olympic sports.

7 hours ago, maniac said:

tbf ne states have a higher hdi and per cpaita income compared to the heartland indian states.