Are you satisfied with team India's Olympics performance

sarcastic

Olympics  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Are you satisfied with the performance of team India in Olympics

• Yes, definitely they did better than I hoped for.
    • Overall very good performance but some results such as Hockey etc. could have gone better
    • Good but a long way to go to make me really feel happy about India at Olympics
    • It is alright and "No big deal" performance. Countries that are nearly a fraction big as us are doing much better.

With Neeraj Chopra bagging gold in Javelin throw, India has already capped off indisputable best ever olympic season. So, as an Indian fan, are you satisfied with Indian athlete's performances. 

There are few disappointments here are there such as the feeling that the hockey teams could have done better (i.e. Men's playing the final and Women's team winning the bronze medal match) etc. 

But India is certainly in the right direction and if this progress continues, we can definitely expect that they will aim for a top 20 table finish by 2036-40. 

But we as a nation should not be satisfied with this and aim to replicate the success of other nations who have been consistently doing well in Olympics.

35 minutes ago, sarcastic said:

There are few disappointments here are there such as the feeling that the hockey teams could have done better (i.e. Men's playing the final and Women's team winning the bronze medal match) etc. 

Both our men’s and women’s Hockey teams did extremely well, and gave it their best, nobody can have any complaints. In fact, If the officiating was a bit more unbiased/competent, the men’s team could have easily won Gold/Silver and the women could have easily won at least bronze. Keep in mind that the men’s team qualified for the semis for the first time in 41 years, And this was the first ever semi qualification for the women’s team. Therefore Make no mistake, this was a phenomenal achievement by both, and every Indian should revel in these performances and be proud of them. Kudos to the players, the government of Odhisa and the coaches, for making this possible

Edited by QuarantineTormentino

35 minutes ago, sarcastic said:

But we as a nation should not be satisfied with this and aim to replicate the success of other nations who have been consistently doing well in Olympics.

Sorry, but I don’t agree with this part. We should be very satisfied with this. You do realise that this our best ever medal haul? We won medals in a variety of events, and finished 4th in many others. We had two Indians win by Fall in Freestyle wrestling, A 200th ranked golfer finishing agonisingly 4th competing against top rankers, and a relay team breaking the ASIAN record. Sure, you can argue that we didn’t perform to our potential in sports like shooting and archery, and also you’re absolutely right that we should aim to replicate the success of other nations and aim for double digits tally with more golds, but we should as a nation be chuffed to bits with the overall performance of our Athletes in this Olympics

amazing amazing olympics.

i know some people might be ruing some finishes but thats part and parcel of sports and olympics. for every medal you take, there will be lots you miss out just by a whisker. our close finishes/chokes hurt cause we don't have so many medals but as the tally increases in the coming years we won't mind them so much (and there will be more chokes/4th place finishes in the coming years simply because there will be more playing).

imagine germany - they can crib about their hockey team losing bronze or vetter choking. they don't cause they win medals in other events. even the usa has had nearly 30 4th place finishes this time. 4th place finishes WILL happen. You can't convert all your opportunities into medals.

And those who say we should replicate other nations - those nations are first world countries with per capita income/HDI far ahead of India. As India grows the medal tally will keep on increasing.

Shooting - Disappointed (expected 2 medals)

Archery - Disappointed (expected 1 medal)

Boxing - Little Disappointed (expected 2 medals - won 1, 2 QFs is okay though)

Weightlifting  - met expectations

Badminton - met the expectations

Wrestling - met the expectations (thought one of Bajrang or Vinesh will win gold but its okay)

Table Tennis - Had no expectations 

Hockey and Athletics -  exceeded expectations.

21 minutes ago, nevada said:

From being ridiculed as the biggest contingent without medal prospects to this, where we are winning medals in every Olympics. This is quite a journey. Sure, who doesn't much more but one step at a time. 

yup yup.

i whatsapped my mom after we lost at golf. and she said that progress was being made. in her childhood - headlines would be - 1 crore people and not a single medal.

Shooting disappointed big time..  Rest of the results I'll take it with both hands. 

Perhaps only thing that stings is Aditi not winning a medal at Golf.  Would have been huge if she had pulled it off. Hopefully Paris 2024. 

Edited by Lone Wolf

If you had told me at the start of the Games that we would win 7 medals, including javelin gold, men's hockey bronze, I would have been thrilled. 

Ok, long way to go but this was a good performance by the Indian contingent. Onwards and upwards. 

Shooting was expecting atleast 2 medals and was hoping one would be gold so disappointed on that front, Bajrang should have got gold he is the best but happy with bronze. Archery I don't know what went wrong, all 3 was both brilliant and mediocre within a span of min. 

Absolutely loved women hockey, Aditi Ashok and while no one is talking about Muhammed Anas Yahiya, Noah Nirmal Tom, Arokia Rajiv and Amoj Jacob our 4 x 400 mens set a new asian record.  

Over all i feel extremely positive , i dont see any reason why we cant double our tally in paris.

7 hours ago, sarcastic said:

Not with that level of biased umpiring, no way. Some things are just impossible to overcome. 

Really happy with the way we ended and overall out best Olympics, very exciting as well. 

Who would have thought that we'd have athletes competing in equestrian, rowing, golf,fencing ,it's just great that we are competing in a more diverse field now.

Only disappointment was that we didn't reach the double digits figure ,shooting and boxing were disappointing tbh 

Forget the medals tally for once, the very fact we had our athletes competing for medals or knockout rounds almost every single day in these two weeks was what made this the best Olympics experience ever. What amazing diversity of athletes - fencing, Golf, Equestrian, Sailing and rowing, even swimming - unknown names stepping up and doing well

Breadth is there, depth will come from next time and we WILL win more and more medals from here on.

Edited by ShoonyaSifar

3 minutes ago, ShoonyaSifar said:

Forget the medals tally for once, the very fact we had our athletes competing for medals or knockout rounds almost every single day in these two weeks was what made this the best Olympics experience ever. What amazing diversity of athletes - fencing, Golf, Equestrian, Sailing and rowing, even swimming - unknown names stepping up and doing well

Breadth is there, depth will come from next time and we WILL win more and more medals from here on.

Brilliant post, every day we had something or other to look forward you, couldnt agree more

20 minutes ago, Yoda-esque said:

Still not sure whether they did well because of or inspite of the system.

I think things are definitely better than the kalmadi days and the focus we are putting in today will yield results in about ten years time

a bit of both. we are still a poor country.

i think what has happened is that the initial stages for sportspeople are difficult but if you have quality and come through, the system is world class.

51 minutes ago, ShoonyaSifar said:

once, the very fact we had our athletes competing for medals or knockout rounds almost every single day in these two weeks was what made this the best Olympics experience ever.

This hits the nail on the head. Every single day we were glued to the forum checking events where in indians will be.. this belief even if we faltered made this a good olympics..hell yesterday when neeraj was on i forgot about cricket completely and I am sure most did.. 

First of all it's the Indian contingent, it's not exactly one team! Second team India is a marketing term for/from cricket - I'd expect that to not be used here :no:

To the relevant question - they just about exceeded expectations, though I frankly I don't follow the Olympics! I do have a few events especially in track & field, like 100/200/400 meter races or relays that I've always been interested in, well because I was a runner myself (just don't ask me the fastest 100ft I've run) :p:

Its been a mixed bag 

The bad

Shooting and womens wrestling mens boxing have been failures. We were expecting min 3 to 5 medals from these. The male boxers especially look very fatigued and under cooked. Has been a prep failure. This is like a sectoral failure. Shooting is worrying given that 2 Olympics in a row its been 0 medals.

The good

Diversity of sports with wins. Javelin Badminton weightlifting hockey wrsetling boxing. Near misses in golf (4th) and discus (6th)

4 medals in mens and 3 in women. Both genders delivering.

2 medals north east 1 south 4 haryana-punjab (if you consider mist hockey players from punjab or haryana) belt. West centre and east need to buck up. 

If you look at this diversity from a pov of a portfolio manager the risk management is very good. Not all eggs in the same basket.

I feel in weightlifting and badminton which are dependent on single atheltes good chance we wont get medals. Hockey the Europeans will be out in force in france 2024.

The shooting womens wrestling and mens boxing has to deliver 3 to 5 medals for india to cross 7 medals.