Umran Malik - 150 kph Indian pace sensation

Texan

4 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

Yes but they came into the limelight due to IPL. Without it, Nattu would be slogging in ranji without a call up. There are several ranji players who never represented India in any formats. IPL has changed that.

I keep forgetting him. I can only hope the selectors don't forget him

like Sakaria would never have played for india if not for IPL  

26 minutes ago, ShoonyaSifar said:

Aah. Saini in 2019 bowled at least a dozen deliveries over 150! Even Prasidh touched 150 in 2019. Plus we had Shami and Aaron bowling 150! Check this link https://www.iplt20.com/stats/2019/fastest-balls

Siraj and Mavi touched 150 in 2018

Then on the same link if you look at previous seasons, both Umesh and Aaron have touched 150/149.5+ multiple times.

Umran is getting more attention because he is only 21 and has come out of nowhere whereas the others had played some FC cricket before touching 150.

Umran has played only 2 games & he has bowled 150+ kph 6-7 times.  That's freakish for sure. 

Last season in UAE Ferguson bowled around 15-16 balls over that range & it was the most I guess in 6-7 games.  Even Nortje was behind him there who played 4-5 more games than Lockie. 

Fastest ball belonged to Nortje then.  This time Umran. 

Edited by Lone Wolf
24 minutes ago, Lone Wolf said:

Umran has played only 2 games & he has bowled 150+ kph 6-7 times.  That's freakish for sure. 

Last season in UAE Ferguson bowled around 15-16 balls over that range & it was the most I guess in 6-7 games.  Even Nortje was behind him there who played 4-5 more games than Lockie. 

Fastest ball belonged to Nortje then.  This time Umran. 

Absolutely. A 21 year old bowling 150 kmph deserves all the attention. Unless SRH decide to retain him, he is going to see a mega bidding war in the next auction.

Nagerkotti could have had a similar story but for the injury

Edited by ShoonyaSifar
I feel you are wrong at accessing situation here. I think what you see in IPL is best a foreign player can deliver. There could be a small burst of nationalism and situation in world cup where players do 110% and don’t care about injury if they think trophy is in sight but thats about it. You can go and check bowling average , average speed and so on for these bowlers.

So assumption that Rabada will bring more fire in internationals is absolutely wrong. Only time you can say major difference is if a bowler is nursing a injury during IPL

it’s novice and crazy to think the foreign bowlers will put everything in it for IPL.. this is quite subjective but it’s my belief that foreign bowlers do not bowl outright fast in IPL consistently & only have small samples to show for..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just now, ShoonyaSifar said:

Absolutely. A 21 year old bowling 150 kmph deserves all the attention. Unless SRH decide to SRH retain, he is going to see a mega bidding war in the next auction.

Nagerkotti could have had a similar story but for the injury

even Mavi if he again starts bowling to his potential. Mavi had bowled the 5th and 6th quickest balls of IPL 2018.  hope he gets motivated seeing Umran bowling fast. right now only bowling within himself.

1 minute ago, nsareen said:

it’s novice and crazy to think the foreign bowlers will put everything in it for IPL.. this is quite subjective but it’s my belief that foreign bowlers do not bowl outright fast in IPL consistently & only have small samples to show for..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rabada bowled full tilt in 2019 resulted in back injury. Nortje and Lockie did the same last year.  even this year they are two of the quickest.

What a lovely story.

As the cricket pundits were excited with this new talent, sitting far away in Jammu, Randhir Singh Manhas was happy to see his ward come a long way. A coach at the Jammu and Kashmir Sports Council, Manhas saw Malik for the first time when he was 17. The rookie fast bowler had come to the Maulana Azad Stadium in Jammu - where the Sports Council runs a cricket coaching centre - to train under Manhas.

The coach also remembers how former India stumper Ajay Ratra was impressed with Malik, when he saw the latter at the nets. “Ratra was the coach of Assam and ahead of a Ranji Trophy game, Umran was one of the net bowlers. Watching him bowl with such a speed, Ratra inquired why the selectors were not playing him for Jammu and Kashmir…”

But things slowly changed when former India all-rounder Irfan Pathan took charge as the mentor of the Jammu and Kashmir team. “Irfan being a top-level fast bowler, he saw potential in Umran and they started mentoring the young cricketers and that boosted his confidence,” Manhas said.

The Irfan hand

Pathan remembers the first time he saw Malik in a camp in Jammu. “What struck me was his pace, but back then, he would jump out a lot. So, we had to work a bit on his bowling action. That helped him gain control and it benefitted his bowling,” Pathan said.

Three people who have helped shape Umran. 

https://sportstar.thehindu.com/cricket/ipl/umran-malik-sunrisers-hyderabad-150-kph-ipl-2021-debut-srh-vs-kkr-irfan-pathan-jammu-and-kashmir/article36816346.ece

1 hour ago, neel roy said:

Pet chalane ke liye he has to play ipl.. they are from a lower middle class background.. hopefully next year he breaks all Records and gets a bumper deal takng care of his financial needs once and for ever.. 

Yea I understand. Totally get it man. Sucks though for us. Such a talent. 

Let's see what he prioritises. Remember once you establish yourself in tests, you get a lot of notoriety. Lots of advertsiment money. Nice contract. Let's see what he does though. 

If he wants to focus on short format then so be it. 

49 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

Yes but they came into the limelight due to IPL. Without it, Nattu would be slogging in ranji without a call up. There are several ranji players who never represented India in any formats. IPL has changed that.

On the flipside, they don't consider performance in Ranji as anything. IPL is the selection criteria for Tests as well. Explains why Siraj didn't make his test debut in 2018. Umran going unsold in auction means IPL scouts are not perfect. There are some bowlers who specialize in one format. IPL reduced the chances of these bowlers making big.

1 hour ago, nsareen said:

but it’s my belief that foreign bowlers do not bowl outright fast in IPL consistently & only have small samples to show for..

We know what speeds foreign pacers bowl at in international matches.

It is roughly the same as in the IPL.

If anything, Rabada and Nortje have bowled their quickest spells and quickest balls in the IPL.

Rabada usually bowls 137 k to 148 k in international T20s. And 130 k to 147 k in tests. ....  But in one season of the IPL, he bowled quite a few 150 k+ balls, which is not his usual speed.

1 hour ago, MultiB48 said:

We have given up on koti ,compare that to Milne and nz,even Ferguson made it quite late.

not given up they are very young but ppl just expected too much, if u go back ull see ppl making national squad n having them 15 or even 11

Its just few setback n they have so much time in their career. Its simple go back to domestic , show form n fitness n iron out problems

Ppl wud have given up on cummins as well had he been an indian player. Stop counting out such young players is all i can say 

16 hours ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

not given up they are very young but ppl just expected too much, if u go back ull see ppl making national squad n having them 15 or even 11

Its just few setback n they have so much time in their career. Its simple go back to domestic , show form n fitness n iron out problems

Ppl wud have given up on cummins as well had he been an indian player. Stop counting out such young players is all i can say 

Tbh it was only because of the speeds which mavi and nagarkoti bowled at got both some much hype, 2018 was the period our pacers were winning us games and naturally seeing two young lads bowling quick in the u19 world cup got us all a bit rallied up, skill wise neither was special, tyagi thou was a standout with his skill set.

4 minutes ago, Mesky99 said:

Tbh it was only because of the speeds which mavi and nagarkoti bowled at got both some much hype, 2018 was the period our pacers were winning us games and naturally seeing two young lads bowling quick in the u19 world cup got us all a bit rallied up, skill wise neither was special, tyagi thou was a standout with his skill set.

cant disagree more , both have great skills 

20 hours ago, ShoonyaSifar said:

Aah. Saini in 2019 bowled at least a dozen deliveries over 150! Even Prasidh touched 150 in 2019. Plus we had Shami and Aaron bowling 150! Check this link https://www.iplt20.com/stats/2019/fastest-balls

Siraj and Mavi touched 150 in 2018

Then on the same link if you look at previous seasons, both Umesh and Aaron have touched 150/149.5+ multiple times.

Umran is getting more attention because he is only 21 and has come out of nowhere whereas the others had played some FC cricket before touching 150.

Our first pace hope from the younger generation was actually basil thampi in IPL 2017, he bowled pretty quickly for Gujarat lions and got picked for the India t20 squad, a lot has changed then and the likes of siraj, prasidh, saini, avesh all arrived at the same time. Nathu Singh to I think played a few games for Gujarat lions and bowled 140kph plus. I remember watching Syed mushtaq Ali 2018 a lot of young pacers transformed from bowling 135kph to 142kph.