Intermittent fasting, time restricted eating For Ketosis(fat burning), Autophagy, growth harmones, gut lining repair

randomGuy

My BMI is 21 (bang in the middle of 'normal') , even I feel positive change through intermittent fasting ....16:8 is one of the common methods (16 hr fast, 8 hrs eating window)... although there are many different ways according to what suites you..

^^I will try to keep this knowledge and wisdom for life ...

Edited by randomGuy

You need to forget this word BMI, it's most useless health index. Some people have higher bone density, and bigger frame. Go with body fat percentage.

I have done IF, 8 day water fast, Keto. I would not recommend any of these if you are anxiety prone, which I am and it gets soooooo much worse that you can have panic attacks for no reason. I warn you, you will be cold even in summers and will want to grab a jacket. Worst of all is your breath, keto breath is no joke. Forget about your partner kissing you lol. Also I am a person who gets a lot of cramps even on a normal diet and it gets wayyyy worse when fasting so up your salt intake by a lot. Your sexual libido will also take a hit as body wants to conserve energy, it's in survival mode.

Other side effects are you will look old for a bit, new weight loss always make people look sickly and gauntly, but body makes adjustments and you look normal soon. Your mood will be grumpy, easy to loose temper.  

Cholesterol will be high in blood test reports as on a prolonged diet, body is running on stored body fat. So don't be alarmed.

6 hours ago, Vancouver said:

You need to forget this word BMI, it's most useless health index. Some people have higher bone density, and bigger frame. Go with body fat percentage.

I have done IF, 8 day water fast, Keto. I would not recommend any of these if you are anxiety prone, which I am and it gets soooooo much worse that you can have panic attacks for no reason. I warn you, you will be cold even in summers and will want to grab a jacket. Worst of all is your breath, keto breath is no joke. Forget about your partner kissing you lol. Also I am a person who gets a lot of cramps even on a normal diet and it gets wayyyy worse when fasting so up your salt intake by a lot. Your sexual libido will also take a hit as body wants to conserve energy, it's in survival mode.

Other side effects are you will look old for a bit, new weight loss always make people look sickly and gauntly, but body makes adjustments and you look normal soon. Your mood will be grumpy, easy to loose temper.  

Cholesterol will be high in blood test reports as on a prolonged diet, body is running on stored body fat. So don't be alarmed.

Thanks for sharing the knowledge and experience. My main takeaway was, practice IF as much as it is comfortable enough and to not be rigid, take a break also if body is signalling so...I am practicing IF with 13-18 hours fast. If I want to eat I will break the fast in as Less as 13 hrs...1 experience of mine is (I am a vegetarian) , NOT to cut down on curd and hot milk intake to feel fulfilled as I am eating less frequent.

I dream of doing longer fasts but not compatible with my life right now.... sometime on vacation/job-break when I am chilling at home if I get a chance to do 2-3-4 days fast, I would want to do...

I have an interesting experience with fasting.

I suffered with Acidity for a month and had been on antacids.  "Tried" a 3 day water fast. From 4th day, the acidity went away. Fasting is a dammned good health practice. No one promotes it as there is no money in it. 

In my personal opinion, 1 day per week water fast is much more practical than IF. 

18 minutes ago, kepler37b said:

I suffered with Acidity for a month and had been on antacids.  "Tried" a 3 day water fast. From 4th day, the acidity went away. Fasting is a dammned good health practice. No one promotes it as there is no money in it. 

In my personal opinion, 1 day per week water fast is much more practical than IF. 

Thanks for sharing bro.

i've been on keto for five years and on OMAD for three years so far. As a result, I fast for 20+ hours each day. It's usually 20 hours as I have lunch at 12pm and a cream coffee at 4pm. Sometimes when I skip the coffee it ends up being a 23 hour fast.

Intermittent fasting has shown amazing results in my case. Not the least of which is consistent energy levels. No matter what time of day it is I always feel up for anything and I can even skip my meal for the day and carry on with my fast as my body is burning stored fat for my energy requirements. So from a 23 hour fast I can go on to fast for 47 hours like it's nothing - helpful on long drives as I can keep on going and usually drive non-stop for 18 hours or so without stopping to eat.

My relationship with food has become healthy with no cravings, addictions or any proclivity towards binging, stress eating, mindless munching or midnight snacking.

too many benefits to spell them out, in short, IF and keto have been a huge plus to my quality of life.

Edited by Prakat

1 hour ago, Prakat said:

i've been on keto for five years and on OMAD for three years so far. As a result, I fast for 20+ hours each day. It's usually 20 hours as I have lunch at 12pm and a cream coffee at 4pm. Sometimes when I skip the coffee it ends up being a 23 hour fast.

Intermittent fasting has shown amazing results in my case. Not the least of which is consistent energy levels. No matter what time of day it is I always feel up for anything and I can even skip my meal for the day and carry on with my fast as my body is burning stored fat for my energy requirements. So from a 23 hour fast I can go on to fast for 47 hours like it's nothing - helpful on long drives as I can keep on going and usually drive non-stop for 18 hours or so without stopping to eat.

My relationship with food has become healthy with no cravings, addictions or any proclivity towards binging, stress eating, mindless munching or midnight snacking.

too many benefits to spell them out, in short, IF and keto have been a huge plus to my quality of life.

Wonderful to know. Thanks for sharing...if you could share more about your keto diet (maybe also for vegetarians) and your hardships, if any, in adopting IF in initial phases, and gradually how it worked... thanks.

19 hours ago, randomGuy said:

Wonderful to know. Thanks for sharing...if you could share more about your keto diet (maybe also for vegetarians) and your hardships, if any, in adopting IF in initial phases, and gradually how it worked... thanks.

Keto is basically about calculating your energy requirements (according to your weight, height, age, gender and exercise (if any) routine. You then go on a decifit (15-25%). So if you require 2000kcal to maintain your current weight you go on a deficit, say 20% and therefore plan to consume 1600kcal/day. out of this you consume 70% of your energy in fats, 25% proteins and the remaining 5% from complex carbs that you will consume when you eat sufficient amount of greens and vegetables.

so for me (M44, 6'1", 85kg) I consume roughly 100g of fats, 80g of proteins and whatever I eat manages to contain roughly 20-30g of net carbs.

An average meal might consist of -

4 whole eggs (24g proteins and 20g fats, ~4g net carbs)

250g-300g of veggies (low carbs veggies like cauliflower, ladies finger, brinjal, capsicum, palak and other leafy greens, cabbage, parwal, green beans, chayote, zucchini, chayote, 

bitter gourd, ridge gourd and many more) this contributes to another 15-20g of net carbs and i use cooking fats liberally to meet my fat quota. You can make any indian veggie recipe as long as you don't use too many onions and tomatoes. I usually use one large onion and one tomato if required. So your basic indian cauli sabzi, bhindi sabzi, saag recipe (palak paneer, plain saag etc) are all naturally keto-friendly.

200g-250g of my meat of choice. most raw meats contain between 20-25g of proteins and a varying amount of fat from 5g-15g per 100g of raw meat. If you are a vegetarian you can get your proteins from paneer, cheeses, low-carb nuts (Almonds, walnuts, pine, brazil and macadamia nuts) and secondary proteins like whey or pea protein shakes. I use the rest of my cooking fats quota to prepare my meat dish.

So my One Meal of the Day can look like: 5 galouti kebabs with 50g of mutton per kebab with pudina chutney, 4 egg cheese omelettes and a big bowl of bhindi sabzi made with roughly 6-8 tablespoons of ghee/butter/coconut/olive oil. So I'll cook the omelettes in 2 tbsps of butter, make the bhindi sabzi in 3 tbsps of ghee and fry the kebabs in 3 tbsps of olive oil.

Transitioning to IF from a 3 meal + 2 snacks a day routine:

When I first started on keto I just replaced all my meals with keto food. Then, since I was consuming such filling food and fats have an effect of making you feel satiated and full, I realized that I wasn't really hungry during my regular meal times. So I first delayed my breakfast, from 8am to 10am and eventually skipped it altogether, instead lunch became my first meal of the day. After almost a year I felt like I wasn't feeling hungry during dinner time as well. So instead I started consuming all my calories during my lunch and just went without any food till lunch the next day. All of this happened slowly and organically so I was never forcing my body to fast and instead was taking my cues from what my body was telling me.

I've lost 45kgs on keto and IF so far.

For about 2 years, I'm skipping breakfast and eating lunch and dinner. I've been questioning medical "advice" on TV for years now but eating 2 meals or IF never occurred to me until that point where someone on the internet was questioning the idea of "breakfast being the most important meal of the day". This happened shortly before the corona hit and I was able to maintain my weight which is in the normal range after 1 year of weight reduction. I skipped breakfast plenty of times during college and I barely noticed it other than being hungry during lunch time. I also turned vegetarian for the past 1.5 years that means I don't even eat eggs.

This started as a weight reduction regimen about 3 years ago with walking for 30-45 minutes combined with 3 meals and I lost about 10 kgs within a year. I got into the moderate BMI < 25 for the first time in 10 years lol. This happened in one year where I lost 5 kgs within 3 months but I had to work hard for the next 9 months to reduce the other 5. I increased my pace of walking (which was already quick but not tracer bullet speed like @velu:car:) and also the time of walking to 1 hour. Now that I understand the flaws of the "calories in calories out theory", That's why I struggled to lose the last 5 as I hit a weight reduction trough. I also understand why our forefathers gave importance to fasting. My mother used to fast a lot due to religious reasons but these religious timings are themselves based on helping mankind.

I have to say that I'm not doing IF in the real sense because I also snack when I get hungry even late night. If I actually followed it strictly, I could even lose more but it is a tough climb for me. The video that OP posted is a good one and thought provoking one. Maybe even a game changing one and is very motivational. I'll try the 2 meals separated by 6 hours making it a 18 hour fasting window without snacking in between meals or during the fasting period. Maybe I'll start with a 16 hour fast or eat something in between as I know the transition is not easy. Even though I'm in the normal BMI, I want to reduce even further and get to around 21-22 and more importantly, I want those health benefits that the doctor says IF gives. The one thing the doctor says is very true in my eyes. sugars, fructose processed foods, etc are a bane of modern society. complex carbs are good in the right quantities and fruits are only for replenishment of energy resources and fat storage in the time of need such as fasting.

On 12/16/2021 at 8:39 AM, kepler37b said:

Question if you are comfortable sharing a) are you under or above 40 ? b) when you say fasting what kind of time are you talking about 24hr or 18hr or more of skipping lunch ?

21 hours ago, Vilander said:

Two questions. Did you loose muscle mass? What was your weight like pre keto. 

On the contrary, since i was consuming sufficient amount of proteins, I was actually adding muscle mass and working out made it even more pronounced. So much so, that i had to stop weight training because I was adding more muscles than I wanted and instead stuck to jogging and sports since I was going for the lean swimmer look at not trying to look swole.

My worst was 127kgs when I was taking care of my single aunt who had been recently diagnosed with lung cancer. And my excessive weight-gain was preventing me from taking care of her with all my abilities. It's what prompted me to look at weight-loss and I was recommended keto by my sister who holds a PhD in Microbiology and is a Research Scientist at Merck Pharma.

My symptoms were massive loss of stamina, heavy meals would knock me out and put me to sleep for at least 90 minutes and a very bad case of Acid Reflux. The day after I switched to keto, inspite of the amount of fats I was consuming, my acidity disappeared and I never ever looked at the big bottle of Eno I had bought just a few days earlier.

9 minutes ago, Prakat said:

On the contrary, since i was consuming sufficient amount of proteins, I was actually adding muscle mass and working out made it even more pronounced. So much so, that i had to stop weight training because I was adding more muscles than I wanted and instead stuck to jogging and sports since I was going for the lean swimmer look at not trying to look swole.

My worst was 127kgs when I was taking care of my single aunt who had been recently diagnosed with lung cancer. And my excessive weight-gain was preventing me from taking care of her with all my abilities. It's what prompted me to look at weight-loss and I was recommended keto by my sister who holds a PhD in Microbiology and is a Research Scientist at Merck Pharma.

My symptoms were massive loss of stamina, heavy meals would knock me out and put me to sleep for at least 90 minutes and a very bad case of Acid Reflux. The day after I switched to keto, inspite of the amount of fats I was consuming, my acidity disappeared and I never ever looked at the big bottle of Eno I had bought just a few days earlier.

Amazing. I am trying to switch from intermittent fasting to cyclical keto. But the taste of starch is just too much ( addicted to basmati and potato - quinoa cauliflower rice is my aim ) . I see some celebs claiming they just do intermittent fasting with night meal that is starchy, Terry crews for example but does not work for me. I am around 6'3 110 kg but fairly muscled with a bit of padding which I am trying to get rid of, keto helps with weight but not sure about muscle mass, I get good pre workout energy in the AM when I switch back to starch the night before. 

Edited by Vilander