Kashmir Files- Trailer ( FINALLY!)

LordPrabhzy

3 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

Product of Ford Foundation 

Forget That. Remember how he was humiliated in LS elections both him in Varanasi and AAP in Delhi. He was dejected man but then he returned  rejuvenated when came back from a abroad trip to take some award. I feel that where the meeting happened.

Its like suddenly everything started moving in his favour. He isn’t that capable as many of his supporters think.

1 hour ago, coffee_rules said:

Yes, ticket prices include entertainment tax, if exempted the price to the end user goes down. Same concept as Duty free

Sorry for the confusion, my question is different. 

Say ticket prices are 150 rupees with 20 rupees tax and theatre gets 130 rupees. Now govt has announced it to be tax free. Is price actually 130 now or are theatres still charging 150 for the movie and making larger profit? Expectation is that prices should be 130, is that happening or not?

For ex - movie is tax free in Gujarat.

https://in.bookmyshow.com/buytickets/19-cinema-south-bopal-ahmedabad/cinema-ahd-SCPC-MT/20220324

10 PM show of Kashmir files is priced 152, 10:35 PM show is priced 175.

10:30 PM of Bachchan Pandey is priced 112.

https://in.bookmyshow.com/buytickets/city-gold-ashram-road/cinema-ahd-CGAR-MT/20220325

9:15 AM show of Bachchan Pandey is 150, 9:15 AM show of TKF is 150. 9 AM show of RRR is 150.

I can understand that when audience will get a receipt, it will show ticket prices of ~130 and ~20 of tax for Bachchan Pandey, 150 for TKF and  0 tax for TKF. 

It seems 150 is normal rate of 9 AM shows in that theatre. So, the question is although tax rebate is meant for benefit of audience, is it being passed to them or not? Is theatre/producer making profit from rebate? 

Maybe some theatres are not passing that benefit, maybe all are passing, or maybe none of them are passing. 

When govt decides to give tax rebate, how do they ensure that benefits the audience? How does govt prevent theatres from simply jacking up prices and then show 0 tax to pocket extra profit?

@coffee_rules @Trichromatic

There is no concept of entertainment tax anymore. It was rendered obsolete by the GST.

What happens nowadays is that the movie ticket includes two taxes: The CSGT and the SGST.

So if the GoI were to make "The Kashmir Files" tax free there would be no CGST component on the movie ticket pan India. Right now, we have various state governments exempting their own states from the SGST component. Which means that the CGST component is still levied on the movie ticket.

To answer your question @Trichromatic every state has its own Cinemas Act which helps it regulate prices according to the class of the theatre. The Act puts a cap on the price of the ticket depending on the time and day of the week. So a movie ticket has to be within a certain band for a certain show type in a certain cinema house. Almost always, the cinema owner charges the value at the top of the band. This is before taking into account taxes. These bands , de jure, cannot be breached. So a tax free movie is cheaper for the movie going audience. And earns the cinema owner just as much per ticket.

Edited by Mariyam

4 minutes ago, Mariyam said:

There is no concept of entertainment tax anymore. It was rendered obsolete by the GST.

What happens nowadays is that the movie ticket includes two taxes: The CSGT and the SGST.

So if the GoI were to make "The Kashmir Files" tax free there would be no CGST component on the movie ticket pan India. Right now, we have various state governments exempting their own states from the SGST component. Which means that the CGST component is still levied on the movie ticket.

To answer your question @Trichromatic every state has its own Cinemas Act which helps it regulate prices according to the class of the theatre. The Act puts a cap on the price of the ticket depending on the time and day of the week. So a movie has to be within a certain band for a certain show type in a certain show. Almost always, the cinema owner charges the value at the top of the band. This is before taking into account taxes. These bands , de jure, cannot be breached. So a tax free movie is cheaper for the movie going audience. And earns the cinema owner just as much per ticket.

@Mariyam

So if a ticket is going for 300 Rs. and CGST+ SGST is 6%+6% .. does that mean the ticket will now cost 318 instead of 336 for the consumer?

5 minutes ago, Mariyam said:

To answer your question @Trichromatic every state has its own Cinemas Act which helps it regulate prices according to the class of the theatre. The Act puts a cap on the price of the ticket depending on the time and day of the week. So a movie has to be within a certain band for a certain show type in a certain show. Almost always, the cinema owner charges the value at the top of the band. This is before taking into account taxes. These bands , de jure, cannot be breached. So a tax free movie is cheaper for the movie going audience. And earns the cinema owner just as much per ticket.

So, when RRR, Bachchan Pandey and TKF all are priced at 150 for morning show, does that mean the prices of RRR and Bachchan Pandey are lower than the top of the band?

2 minutes ago, bharathh said:

@Mariyam

So if a ticket is going for 300 Rs. and CGST+ SGST is 6%+6% .. does that mean the ticket will now cost 318 instead of 336 for the consumer?

Are theatres increasing price to 317 and pay 19 CGST, thus making 317 instead of 300 while audience still pays 336?

2 minutes ago, bharathh said:

@Mariyam

Yes. If it's in a state where SGST is exempted.

IIRC, the rate is 9% and 9% in most states.

2 minutes ago, Trichromatic said:

Are theatres increasing price to 317 and pay 19 CGST, thus making 317 instead of 300 while audience still pays 336?

You can't do that.

Coz in such cases the cap would be 300. The cinema owner always picks a value which is at the maximum end of the band price spectrum.

It wouldn't be permissible to charge 317.

5 minutes ago, Trichromatic said:

I don't think that would be allowed if 300 is the max in the band that @Mariyam was talking about. That said I know nothing about this. I didn't even know there were bands for ticket prices.

1 minute ago, Mariyam said:

You can't do that.

Coz in such cases the cap would be 300. The cinema owner always picks a value which is at the maximum end of the band price spectrum.

It wouldn't be permissible to charge 317.

Then how is RRR, BP and TKF all are priced at 150 in one of the theatre in Ahmedabad as I posted earlier?

7 minutes ago, Trichromatic said:

So, when RRR, Bachchan Pandey and TKF all are priced at 150 for morning show, does that mean the prices of RRR and Bachchan Pandey are lower than the top of the band?

Not sure I follow what you are asking. A matinee show for a multiplex falls in a different price band than a prime time show in the same establishment.

Matinee shows are probably the only time when the cinema owners do not pick the top of the band. Simply to incentivize ticket sales.

2 minutes ago, Mariyam said:

Not sure I follow what you are asking. A matinee show for a multiplex falls in a different price band than a prime time show in the same establishment.

Matinee shows are probably the only time when the cinema owners do not pick the top of the band. Simply to incentivize ticket sales.

Don't theatres anyway make more money from popcorn and sodas inside? 

I end up paying almost 4x of ticket prices if I go with family. 

6 minutes ago, bharathh said:

Don't theatres anyway make more money from popcorn and sodas inside? 

I end up paying almost 4x of ticket prices if I go with family. 

Yes. But that won't be major part of their earning.

My family members went to watch 83 at PVR in Ranchi. Since they were running late and had some work on the way, I didn't book tickets online and told them that they can get tickets at counter easily as it was weekday.

They were told at counter that movie ticket was 330 when it actual price was around 260. They gave them popcorn packets (not ready to eat ones, but to be cooked at home) worth 70 rupees and told that it's free. Family members told that they don't want these packets.  

Later when they got receipt on phone, there were 2 separate purchases for movie tickets and popcorns.

When I complained to PVR, they simply said sorry and said won't repeat it. I told them to refund the money, they said that I will have to bring popcorn packets at theatre which is 15 km away from my place.

3 minutes ago, Trichromatic said:

Yes. But that won't be major part of their earning.

My family members went to watch 83 at PVR in Ranchi. Since they were running late and had some work on the way, I didn't book tickets online and told them that they can get tickets at counter easily as it was weekday.

They were told at counter that movie ticket was 330 when it actual price was around 260. They gave them popcorn packets (not ready to eat ones, but to be cooked at home) worth 70 rupees and told that it's free. 

Later when they got receipt on phone, there were 2 separate purchases for movie tickets and popcorns.

When I complained to PVR, they simply said sorry and said won't repeat it. I told them to refund the money, they said that I will have to bring popcorn packets at theatre which is 15 km away from my place.

Rs 70 popcorn?! In Bangalore it costs around 400 bucks!