Is Dinesh Karthik the best T20 finisher that India is looking for

Dinesh Karthik as a T20 finisher  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Is DK the best T20I finisher that India got?

• Yes, he is and should be in playing XI
    • No, there are much better alternatives
    • He is good but he does not add up to the team composition

I will take DK in a heartbeat over floundering Ishan Kishan anyday. We have Rahul Rohit Kohli Iyer all who can open. We dont need an opener who ll struggle against high pace and good spin. Rather have DK

Rahul

Rohit

Kohli

Sky

Pant 

Pandya

DK

Iyer

V Iyer

Jadeja

Bumrah

Avesh

Harshal

Chahal/ Bishnoi/ Chahar/ Kuldeep/ Ashwin ( choose 2) 

Prasidh/ Shami/ Bhuvi ( choose 2)

reserves 

Samson

Gill

Shaw

Varun C

Sundar 

Being Aus they ll allow 4/5 reserves. So around 19 member squad like last time

8 hours ago, vvvslaxman said:

That is against new ball. But in the end overs with fielders on the fence it is harder. Raina(old one)/KKD are exceptions.

even KKD has a career T20I SR of 143 and T20 SR of 134. where are the indian players who score at 150+, whether at top of order or below?

Let us compare him with some of the other players in terms of strike rate. Thala was hopeless. He just leeched on to Yuvraj, Raina, KKD kind of guys to finish games. Pant has not exactly set the world on fire either.  Raina/KL Rahul have the ideal strike rates for T20.  Old Pandya was okay. Current Pandya is like Rahane.

KKD  & Pant together 14 matches

Pant  14 matches 13 innings 228 runs 19.00 avge 118.75 strike rate

KKD  14 matches 11 innings 193 runs 48.25 avge 148.46 strike rate

KKD & Thala together 19 matches

Thala 19 matches 18 innings 423 runs  35.25 avge 122.60 strike rate

KKD   19 matches 16 innings 231 runs 23.10 avge  140.00 strike rate

KKD & Raina together 11 matches

Raina 11 matches 11 innings 391 runs 39.10 avge 145.89 strike rate

KKD    11 matches 10 innings 162 runs 54.10 avge 151.40 strike rate

KKD & KL Rahul together 15 matches

KL Rahul 15 matches 13 innings 449 runs 37.41 avge 143.45 strike rate

KKD    15 matches 11 innings 185 runs 92.50 avge 154.16 strike rate

KKD & Pandya together 8 matches

Pandya 8 matches 6 innings 92 runs 18.40 avge  191.66 strike rate

KKD 8 matches 5 innings  74 runs 37.00 avge 176.19 strike rate

Back in Jan 2019 I thought Dk should be our odi no 6 in the world cup. I also thought Krunal should be at 7 and Virat at 4

My squad then was...( It could have done well)

Shikar Dhawan

Rohit Sharma

KL Rahul

Virat Kohli

Hardik Pandya

Dinesh Kartik

Krunal Pandya

Bhuvneshwar Kumar

Kuldeep Yadav

Jasprit Bumrah

MOhammed Shami

YUzvendra Chahal, Ankit Rajpoot, Ambati Rayudu, Kedar Jadhav, Rishab Pant

Anyway Now, surely DKs time has passed and there are younger options, in any LOI format

Edited by Sooda
8 minutes ago, Pollack said:

Dinesh karthik is a poor choice for the finishers role. People take IPL far too seriously.

International T20s are inferior in a lot of ways. A team that lost 5 T20 series in a row won the ICC trophy with the help of guys like Mitch Marsh who looked clueless in BD. In t20 quality difference between leagues and interntaionals is next to nothing. I don't want him to be picked.  We are looking for someone who can do that even at the IPL level. How many Indians can actually do this. Mostly we leave it to Windies mercenaries or English guys or Australians.

Edited by vvvslaxman
1 minute ago, vvvslaxman said:

International T20s are inferior in a lot of ways. A team that lost 5 T20 series in a row won the ICC trophy with the help of guys like Mitch Marsh who looked clueless in BD. In t20 quality difference between leagues and interntaionals is next to nothing. I don't want him to be picked.  We are looking for someone who can do that even at the IPL level. How many Indians can actually do this. Mostly we leave it to Windies mercenaries or English guys or Australians.

It was World toss championship. It was one of the worst t20 world cup ever and was an exception. Bilateral t20s are meaningless and you can play pintu parcha for all I care. T20 world cups are superior to IPL.

1 minute ago, Pollack said:

It was World toss championship. It was one of the worst t20 world cup ever and was an exception. Bilateral t20s are meaningless and you can play pintu parcha for all I care. T20 world cups are superior to IPL.

World T20 selection is largely based on IPL  and couple of other leagues not just for India but for the other countries as well. We have no other way to pick a squad. Obviously you give weightage to it. If you don't give weightage to IPL don't give weightage to bilateral on what basis you will pick a team?

2 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

World T20 selection is largely based on IPL  and couple of other leagues not just for India but for the other countries as well. We have no other way to pick a squad. Obviously you give weightage to it. If you don't give weightage to IPL don't give weightage to bilateral on what basis you will pick a team?

I did not say give absolutely no weightage to IPL for selections, did I?

7 hours ago, vvvslaxman said:

IPl teams  always have one weak link in bowling.Batting is comparable.DK will be very good as a finisher in t20 without any doubt. I have no idea why moronic selectors did not take him to last world t20.

SKY, DK and Pandya are very decent 4,5 and 6. Pandya is the weak link there.You need to play 5 bowlers plus Pandya.

2 hours ago, putrevus said:

IPl teams  always have one weak link in bowling.Batting is comparable.DK will be very good as a finisher in t20 without any doubt. I have no idea why moronic selectors did not take him to last world t20.

SKY, DK and Pandya are very decent 4,5 and 6. Pandya is the weak link there.You need to play 5 bowlers plus Pandya.

Idea is not to have that sunken feeling after a certain batsman gets out.   I really liked how Deepak Chahar played two cameos down the order to win a game and almost pull off another heist. 

What's wrong with people here? 

He is a TTF, how many times do you want the same proof over and over again? 

He is a bottler who won't score 10 runs in important matches in t20 wc. 

You guys have got to be kidding me if you are taking these performances seriously. 

He is a nothing cricketer at International level.