Rajat Patidar v Sarfaraz Khan

23 minutes ago, Frustrated said:

I suppose U are referring the TTFs to Pujara and Rahane.   Why would the TM go back to these 35+ yr olds when we hv batsmen like Padikkal.   Even Sundar (who is not exactly a top order batter) has decent technique and can do a better job than Patidar.   

Yeah I was thinking of Pujara and Iyer to be specific. I would agree with Padikkal especially he is in mega form right now

46 minutes ago, Vickydev said:

Could be the case. Yeah possibly he is a late bloomer who had a purple patch

This. At no point he was considered a pedigree player. We were all conned. He didn't light up any under-19 world cup or India A tour. Or Ranji Trophy. His IPL 100 got our attention. Also he had good backfoot game against pacers. Took Bishnoi to cleaners. We all thought he would be great against spin too. India should still value first class runs. 

6 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

This. At no point he was considered a pedigree player. We were all conned. He didn't light up any under-19 world cup or India A tour. Or Ranji Trophy. His IPL 100 got our attention. Also he had good backfoot game against pacers. Took Bishnoi to cleaners. We all thought he would be great against spin too. India should still value first class runs. 

Exactly. Yet again, selectors picked a low FC average player only because of IPL performances. Second one in recent times after SKY. It almost seems like FC runs don't count for anything. 45 is a fairly low average in Indian conditions when you have other batters who average over 50 and some even over 60 like Jaiswal and Sarfaraz.

11 minutes ago, Texan said:

Exactly. Yet again, selectors picked a low FC average player only because of IPL performances. Second one in recent times after SKY. It almost seems like FC runs don't count for anything. 45 is a fairly low average in Indian conditions when you have other batters who average over 50 and some even over 60 like Jaiswal and Sarfaraz.

There is a high-average, high-SR FC player who has 60+ FC matches under his belt, comes from the same team as Jurel and is left handed. He has struggled a bit with the A team, but there is potential there IMO. His middle name is Khanchand and he is already a bit of a Raashtriya Khazaana.

I had high hopes for Patidar. He seemed fearless but has either been found out or has just lost his confidence. Given his age and the chances he has got on good wickets, I think the ship has sailed. Next in line? Padikkal? Hope his technique has tightened some. I watched him a few years ago in the IPL and he was a bit of an airy-phery.

14 minutes ago, BacktoCricaddict said:

There is a high-average, high-SR FC player who has 60+ FC matches under his belt, comes from the same team as Jurel and is left handed. He has struggled a bit with the A team, but there is potential there IMO. His middle name is Khanchand and he is already a bit of a Raashtriya Khazaana.

He is also a left hander to boot. Considering his recent performances I thought he made his case more than sarfaraz and patidar.

16 minutes ago, Bigg Brother said:

4 innings on Patta wickets. He could not have asked easier surface and circumstances than this.  Would like him to play over KLR but sadly it is over for him.. Goodbye..

He can go to Ranjis and make a comeback. There is IPL as well. If Dube can comeback, so can his talent 

46 minutes ago, Vickydev said:

Yeah doors shouldn't close on LOIs at least. He looked better there

Just saw the dismissal. Unlucky for him. A half tracker that turned away and he was set up for a pull and holed out a simple catch. Not his brightest moment or the best ball. Somewhat how Duckett got out. 

1 hour ago, coffee_rules said:

He came with a match saving 100 against Eng A. Is having a horrid time esp in this match. Tough for him to survive in this seniority culture and a culture to hype every young player as a rashtriya khazana!! :giggle:

IN recent times all newbies adapted brillliantly at the start of their career.  Mayank, Sundar, Gill, Iyer. They were not nervous like Patidar. Even Sarfraz, jhurel in this series  had good clarity of thought.  May be he is one of those guys who punche above his weight briefly.  May be he can have a career like Atapattu. Who knows.  But age is not on his side. India cannot afford to spend too much time on this guy. This guy was born in 1993. Pujara 1988. He is neither young nor too old. He is definitely closer to Pujara than Jaiswal in terms of age.

19 minutes ago, Number said:

He is anyway going out with KL coming back in.

I am more inclined towards having Rinku as a back up batter.

Good FC record, has shown good temperament at international level, very good back foot game. 

In Tests?  Don’t think he has the technique. 

Among the noobs Sai Sudarshan has passed eye test. India shouldn't be looking for massive performances in domestic from him. They have to go on a hunch with guys like. Handing out debut to 30 year olds has to stop. First SKY. Now Patidar. We even recalled 30 plus DK. When you get older and make debut you are a lot more pressure to deliver. Youngsters can make debut. Go out and come back. Also we have to resist temptation of recalling Puhane. Time to move on. If Kohli is not interested in Tests move on from him as well.