The road ahead for Bollywood

Number

15 hours ago, Clarke said:

Don't worry, Aryan Suhana Taimur Shanaya etc are coming to revitalize the industry.

Look at this upcoming release, seems so apt for India, all our gens can relate to Archie and these 'actors' as commoners:

This not relatable for the masses logic is not very compelling. Nor is it sound.

Two of the bigger hits in India in the recent few months have been Top Gun Maverick and Dr Strange Multiverse of Madness.

Wouldn't say that the average film goer can relate to either of the plots. Indian or American for that matter. Yet they did exceedingly well.

The average American can't relate to the Avenger/DC /Marvel mumbo jumbo either. Yet the movies are watched in droves.

14 hours ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

ohh btw news dobaara isnt doing badly ..............ppl see overall figures that film is not a high budget film and such films are already in profit coz they are sold at 4-5 times before  hand to OTT. 

Also it also depends how many screens u release in so on avg that film isnt doing badly if you considers its budget and limited release. 

Control budget can even make bad films be in profit 

??

Film has earned 1.34Cr till now on a budget of 30Cr. If this is not a disaster, not sure what is.

10 hours ago, LordPrabhzy said:

This escapism point has come up many times as a justification... why is it that Indians are the only people with that much stress in their day to day life where they need unrealistic masala films to escape? DO other people in the world not have stress? Their film industries don't focus on this; TBF even in Hollywood there is SMALL market for films like American Pie but these don't define the industry and these are still largely driven by good actors, content, original storyline and great CGI/VFX. 

The film you mentioned RRR KGF, Pushpa.. and to a large extent Kartikey 2 or Kashmir files.. whats the common link in them? The industry as a whole are redefining cinema by bringing original content, with good VFX and not insulting the Indian culture, country or Hindu Dharma.

Saaala kutta Kashyap also said he wishes that RRR goes as the Oscars entry and he hopes the Kashmir Files doesnt... who the hell does he think he is. The public are giving this industry a befitting reply by using their economic boycott powers as opposed to Sir Tan se Judwa gang.

Not true that only Indians want escapism. Otherwise the Fast and Furious franchise wouldn't be on #10 and we wouldn't be assaulted with more Marvel and DC crap along with endless Jurassic Park/Star Wars nonsense. Hollywood movies have become unwatchable lately. Gone are the days when movies like Forrest Gump, Traffic, Gladiator etc. were made. Only franchise movies are hits and only those seem to be made with increasing frequency.

They have better budgets and so get made with better production value. Doesn't change the fact that these movies stink.

Indian masala movies just have a diff flavour. That said, given the improved production value of Indian masala movies - a lot of ppl have enjoyed movies like RRR outside India as well. It is a novelty. 

Edited by bharathh

1 hour ago, bharathh said:

??

Film has earned 1.34Cr till now on a budget of 30Cr. If this is not a disaster, not sure what is.

It is a disaster at 3.3 Cr collections for a 25-30 Cr budget.

I don’t know how OTT works, a hit in OTT probably is about how many million views it gets, money exchanged would determine that after initial rights. Somebody can clarify how OTT collections work. 

15 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

I don’t know how OTT works, a hit in OTT probably is about how many million views it gets, money exchanged would determine that after initial rights. Somebody can clarify how OTT collections work. 

OTT rights are sold by producers to OTT company for some amount. After that producers gets nothing. OTT platforms generate revenue based on views/ads/subscriptions. There is no way to determine if a movie is hit on ott or flop.

9 hours ago, Mariyam said:

This not relatable for the masses logic is not very compelling. Nor is it sound.

Two of the bigger hits in India in the recent few months have been Top Gun Maverick and Dr Strange Multiverse of Madness.

Wouldn't say that the average film goer can relate to either of the plots. Indian or American for that matter. Yet they did exceedingly well.

The average American can't relate to the Avenger/DC /Marvel mumbo jumbo either. Yet the movies are watched in droves.

Not an end to end relation, but there's core elements such as overcoming the odds which anyone can sync with. The audience roots for them (top class performers btw) to finish the mission; maybe u feel the same with the  Kapoor or Khan kids posing in front of the camera :p:

17 hours ago, Lone Wolf said:

Few reports saying KJO hasn't given up on Takht yet & called it his Life's project...  With his reputation even if the movie is epic it would tank.  Someone like Bhansali might have broken box office with same storyline 

https://indianexpress.com/article/entertainment/bollywood/karan-johar-takht-not-shelved-after-rocky-aur-rani-ki-prem-kahani-7581193/

Must be a story on two kings competing hard and fighting wars over a throne, but suddenly they go all the way homo with a kabhi khushi kabhi gham style slow ending.

Edited by MechEng

@Mariyam what's your opinion on Top Gun maverick? 

For me this was the best movie I've watched in the last 10 years, superbly made.

There were unrealistic stuffs like flying at high speeds and maneuvering at low altitudes, then suddenly making a steep climb. 

Not to forget the some 80s  style propaganda, the antagonist here was 100% North Korea :cantstop:

Edited by MechEng

14 minutes ago, MechEng said:

@Mariyam what's your opinion on Top Gun maverick? 

For me this was the best movie I've watched in the last 10 years, superbly made.

There were unrealistic stuffs like flying at high speeds and maneuvering at low altitudes, then suddenly making a steep climb. 

Not to forget the some 80s  style propaganda, the antagonist here was 100% North Korea :cantstop:

I had some strong views on the topic. You can find them here.

Re-posting my views here so that you can like/heart/great post my astute insights on Top Gun Maverick on two different pages:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was bored. Dozed off in parts.

Apart from the BGM, I liked nothing about the movie. And I haven't seen the 1st version from the 1800s when Tom Cruise was 20 years old.

As a stand alone this movie was a drag. Also they didn't name the enemy nation...

Nothing but a collection of cliched dialogues, classical Hollywood projection of American awesomeness and alternating scenes with airplane stunts and visage zoom-ins for what passes as emotional drama in Hollywood.

I'd put it in the same category/calibre as Tarzan the wonder car.

13 minutes ago, ash said:

The stars should just stfu and not give any interviews. Even some random interview given 10 years ago may come back and haunt them. People in twitter are jobless, they can go to any extent to pass time. 

Why should they keep mum? Is speaking your mind out an issue now? Should we watch what we say in our own country?

Everybody should have the opportunity to make a fool of themselves in front of the media. Why should Bollywood stars deny themselves this opportunity?

That said, people (and the media in general) should stop looking at Bollywood stars as some kind of thought leaders. 

13 hours ago, coffee_rules said:

Becoz the film was already in profit before in theatres sold, sold to OTT at profits and add digital . They are also sold for few years and then contract gets renewed by same or different OTT 

Kashyap films are pre sold to OTT at profit coz his market is Streaming platforms and in past torrent and his content gets buzz in some sections of international market too. 

So whatever number it makes in theatres is pure profit and limited amount release it had it didnt have other extra high cost . Ekta kapoor is damn smart and kashyap shoots in very low budgets

What do i say films dont flop , budget do. 

Remember LSD - one of the most profitable films , why do i say that coz it was made in 3 cr and just earned 9cr only in theatres 

Bheja fry 1 - made in 60 lacs earned 12 cr + streaming + OTT 

13 hours ago, coffee_rules said:

By the number of views it gets. When u open Netflix u see top 10 watched na..........so that's a big point

OTT has no collections films are sold to them at whatever prices depending on carious factor . 

The numbers mostly out their are not correct be it box office collection , film budgets or even how much its sold on OTT 

On 8/23/2022 at 7:19 AM, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Just to give a context avg mallu film which no one is excited about or has any big stars like Fahad will still get 15-20cr at OTT 

9 hours ago, Mariyam said:

Why should they keep mum? Is speaking your mind out an issue now? Should we watch what we say in our own country?

Everybody should have the opportunity to make a fool of themselves in front of the media. Why should Bollywood stars deny themselves this opportunity?

That said, people (and the media in general) should stop looking at Bollywood stars as some kind of thought leaders. 

u gotta follow the time, the more they interact with public the more they wanna **** on them. In previous era stars had a mystery and aura , with SM its gone

Ppl arent afraid to **** on Kohli or anyone for that matter 

Why people are in awww with some of south stars now is becoz they are not accessible to them easily and they dont know much about them. Ranbir kapoor understood this yrs back and kept away from SM as much as possible, film promotions he cudnt avoid 

23 hours ago, LordPrabhzy said:

All of us dont want 'masala dumb brain' films- we are not all sadak chap uneducated labourers or rickshaw drivers...

Thats the problem with Bollywood, they have failed in understand the change in the audience and what THEY want to see or they know but don't want to do anything about it in the fear of upsetting their Karachi paymasters. Budgets need to increase to ensure films are Hollywood quality- I mean for example there is a film that can be made about a particular battle in the 1965 War, esp. the tank battles. All you need is a 500-750cr investment to ensure real locations, tanks etc are used, with real explosions, and there you go that's a mass national scale film that can be made without any love story, drama and what not

Karachi paymasters? 

The likes of Karan Johar could buy out half of Karachi if he chooses to.

Your posts are a confused muddle of angry emotions.

This whole 'escapism' is not limited to Indian audiences only. Masala is not just for low IQ Indian crowds. The apparently smart and ueber civilized Western crowd laps up non sense like Avengers/DC/Marvel/ Scavengers for the better part of a decade. Fast and Furious has more releases than the I pod. Both started at roughly the same time.

I don't think that Total Dhamaal or Housefull 4 are particularly worse than Fast and Furious version 8.0 with the ultra laconic 'I only grunt' Vin Diesel. 

Talking of nepotism: Have you bought a rock for your girl yet? Did you pause to think how the jewellery store is run? Most of the established retail jewellers (in India) are family run enterprises. Is that nepotism? Would you stop buying from TBZ just because they are a fourth generation jeweller and do not give a chance to outsiders to run their business? I've never seen this nepotism charge on any other industry. Where is the #boycottTBZnepotismsucks campaign?

The producers are more comfortable handing out roles to family names they trust and have worked with. Its just that.

On 8/22/2022 at 8:45 PM, coffee_rules said:

With satellite rights, overseas markets and OTT releases, Bhaiwood took the audiences for a ride. Any movie was making it even , so all they needed to do was a release. It has come down due to dubbed movies from south being very popular in the north, there is enough competition for them and people don’t care for their fakery anymore. Look at their arrogance here.

Coffee sahab, this is very disingenuous. Clearly the two are under influence here.

And since when are they representative of everything that is Bollywood?

Anurag Kashyap has become exactly what he stated he hated all those years ago.

Reminds me of the end of Animal Farm.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which