Is Prithvi Shaw heading the Vinod Kambli way?

jalebi_bhai

Is Shaw the next Kambli?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Is Shaw the next Kambli?

• Yes
    • No

Kambli was out of the team more due to his personality. BCCI had no clue on how to handle his personality.The moment they saw a dip in his performance in one series, they kicked him out for good.Then Dravid and Ganguly came around.

Kambli was definitely better player than Ganguly and he had one bad series for which he lost his place for good.If he played in this era he would have played 100 tests easily.He is better than Rahane and Pujara for sure also.

Unlike Shaw who has become fat and lazy, Kambli lost his place due to external factors.

Edited by putrevus

On 4/5/2023 at 10:22 PM, vvvslaxman said:

He had an aura about him until his short ball weakness was found out. Besides those days  pitches had low bounce in India which suited his style of batting. Right about the time he showed dip in his form Dravid/Laxman were piling runs in domestic.  Ganguly came through with a bit of push. But to be fair he made the most of it. Manju and Kambu left out

yes, he had short ball weakness, but so did azzhu and gangu, but both played about 100 tests. kambli was arguably as good or better than both at home. and given enough time, he may have at least become functional on bouncy pitches. consider the following breakdown:

home avg: 63 (50% of tests); achievable by him on the 90s and 00s tracks

SC pitches avg: 54 (15% of tests); we used to play a good number of tests vs SL on pattas

swinging pitches avg: 43 (15% of tests); he was ok, but not great, vs swing [azhar and gangu, for instance, have excellent records in Eng/NZ]

bouncy pitches avg: 30 (20% of tests); here, he is a liability

Overall avg as per above weighting: 52.1

even if we reduce this by a couple of points, he could have ended with a sehwag-like avg

Edited by Vijy

On 4/17/2023 at 10:39 AM, Vijy said:

kambli was arguably as good or better than both at home. and given enough time, he may have at least become functional on bouncy pitches. consider the following breakdown:

home avg: 63 (50% of tests); achievable by him on the 90s and 00s tracks

SC pitches avg: 54 (15% of tests); we used to play a good number of tests vs SL on pattas

swinging pitches avg: 43 (15% of tests); he was ok, but not great, vs swing [azhar and gangu, for instance, have excellent records in Eng/NZ]

bouncy pitches avg: 30 (20% of tests); here, he is a liability

Overall avg as per above weighting: 52.1

even if we reduce this by a couple of points, he could have ended with a sehwag-like avg

Many moons ago he turned up to a club tourney final game as a chief guest; he seemed tipsy while handing out awards or maybe I was tired, dehydrated and hallucinating. I was saddened to see him like that. Unfortunately some habits may have messed up his career. County stints or India-A tours to Australia/South Africa may have helped get him used to navigating bounce better if not completely mastering it.

Chuckte Raho

TC

Edited by Throwaib_Chuckter

On 4/19/2023 at 3:33 AM, Throwaib_Chuckter said:

Many moons ago he turned up to a club tourney final game as a chief guest; he seemed tipsy while handing out awards or maybe I was tired, dehydrated and hallucinating. I was saddened to see him like that. Unfortunately some habits may have messed up his career. County stints or India-A tours to Australia/South Africa may have helped get him used to navigating bounce better if not completely mastering it.

Chuckte Raho

TC

I don't think he would have mastered bounce+pace (even dravid didn't do that well), but I do think he could have finished with a 45-50 career avg (as explained in my earlier post), making him better than most batters from Ind. all this, of course, assumes that he somehow got over his habits and had support from management to help him get over them

Edited by Vijy

20 hours ago, Vijy said:

I don't think he would have mastered bounce+pace (even dravid didn't do that well), but I do think he could have finished with a 45-50 avg, making him better than most batters from Ind. all this, of course, assumes that he somehow got over his habits and had support from management to help him get over them

Yeah, as I said he would probably navigate bounce better with application and time (sans the vices).

Not to be unfortunately.

Did he manage to land a coaching gig with MCA ?

Chuckte Raho

TC

Year by Year there has been no improvement in his batting technique, he still struggles against spin and short-ball.

Inswinger is still threat, he is not quite there in terms of intnl quality. There are many inline for opner's spot.

If Rohit, Dhawal and Rahul are not there then Ind has Rituraj, Gill, Jaiswal, he has time but need to fix his game 

9 hours ago, tapandrun said:

Year by Year there has been no improvement in his batting technique, he still struggles against spin and short-ball.

Inswinger is still threat, he is not quite there in terms of intnl quality. There are many inline for opner's spot.

If Rohit, Dhawal and Rahul are not there then Ind has Rituraj, Gill, Jaiswal, he has time but need to fix his game 

he is regressing, not improving

Ideally I would prefer if he gets dropped from his IPL side and can go back to basics. Toughen it up like DK did with his spell under Nayar. There is enough potential there, the back and across trigger movement he had tried couple of seasons back had given great results in VH Trophy

But it seems tricky with him. He seems quite emotional and gets triggered with setbacks. He could easily spiral away into oblivion. I am sure there must be lots of ex-players he can look to for mentorship if he is humble enough

6 hours ago, Vickydev said:

Ideally I would prefer if he gets dropped from his IPL side and can go back to basics. Toughen it up like DK did with his spell under Nayar. There is enough potential there, the back and across trigger movement he had tried couple of seasons back had given great results in VH Trophy

But it seems tricky with him. He seems quite emotional and gets triggered with setbacks. He could easily spiral away into oblivion. I am sure there must be lots of ex-players he can look to for mentorship if he is humble enough

He needs someone like Shastri mentoring and motivating him. He often mentioned he would have - in his customary hubris maybe - ensured that Kambli never went off the rails the way he did. 

He should get hair transplant done asap. I know people crack jokes on it, but hair loss is very much linked to confidence. He must have become depressed due to hair loss and to make it worse, his U19 teammate has already become a superstar with all the ads. That surely must have hurt. I feel for him.