Is Prithvi Shaw heading the Vinod Kambli way?

jalebi_bhai

Is Shaw the next Kambli?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Is Shaw the next Kambli?

• Yes
    • No

Shaw is an enigma .. it’s almost he is carrying all the Mumbai Legacy of batsmanship and is just unable to perform when it matters … he will probably score a century against the likes of CSK..  none of them are quick enough to bother him … 

15 hours ago, cowboysfan said:

Kambli had much more talent,Shaw will find it tough to even be selected for internationals  again.

Kambli's re-entry purely depended on failure of new comers then.  Ganguly/ Dravid were not going to fail. Kambli/Manjrekar permanently lost their places to those two. Similarly Shaw could lose his spot to someone else like Jaiswal.

Kambli has some body of work at the international level where he caught everybody’s attention .

shaw is unfortunate that he is born in an era with a lot more scrutiny on off field, Fitness etc etc, his international career. So never really got as many opportunities. His career has never taken off and I would say with each passing year it will only get tougher.

If he can't take his game to the next level in the next one year, he will never become an elite batsman across formats that he was touted to become.

He's only 23.  So there's still time for him to become a high quality limited overs batsman at the very least. 

3 hours ago, vvvslaxman said:

Kambli's re-entry purely depended on failure of new comers then.  Ganguly/ Dravid were not going to fail. Kambli/Manjrekar permanently lost their places to those two. Similarly Shaw could lose his spot to someone else like Jaiswal.

i think Jaiswal is more talented anyway,he should be given a chance soon after the WC for ODis and tests.

2 minutes ago, cowboysfan said:

i think Jaiswal is more talented anyway,he should be given a chance soon after the WC for ODis and tests.

Talent is subjective. If you saw the u-19 wc Shaw looked like a second coming of Sachin/Sehwag and Gill the 2nd coming of a combo of Rohit/Virat.

apples to apples they both looked much more ready than Jaiswal.

love Jaiswal as he can also bowl very well and has a lot of upside but if you are basing this on their early career than that would be the wrong takeaway.

12 minutes ago, maniac said:

Talent is subjective. If you saw the u-19 wc Shaw looked like a second coming of Sachin/Sehwag and Gill the 2nd coming of a combo of Rohit/Virat.

apples to apples they both looked much more ready than Jaiswal.

love Jaiswal as he can also bowl very well and has a lot of upside but if you are basing this on their early career than that would be the wrong takeaway.

You gave the reasons yourself, they looked similar to popular batters and hence were hyped.
Jaiswal looks more like a combo of GG/Sourav....and their popularity is no match for the Sachin/Sehwag/Rohit/VK.

At least kambli had some noteworthy performances to show at one time he had highest test average among all Indian .what is Shaw’s achievement so far just consuming his favourite Cough syrup or beaten by some random chapri girl.

22 hours ago, cowboysfan said:

Kambli had much more talent,Shaw will find it tough to even be selected for internationals  again.

Exactly. Shaw appears to be a hack. He was badly exposed in Test cricket by Starc. At best, I can see him playing some more T20Is, but he doesn't appear to have the skills required to play Test cricket. I would prefer Jaiswal over Shaw. 

7 hours ago, Vijy said:

saw kambli coming through the age ranks. most destructive player of spin I have seen, on par with sehwag and slightly ahead of lara. kambli was far more talented than Shaw

He had an aura about him until his short ball weakness was found out. Besides those days  pitches had low bounce in India which suited his style of batting. Right about the time he showed dip in his form Dravid/Laxman were piling runs in domestic.  Ganguly came through with a bit of push. But to be fair he made the most of it. Manju and Kambu left out

9 hours ago, Vijy said:

saw kambli coming through the age ranks. most destructive player of spin I have seen, on par with sehwag and slightly ahead of lara. kambli was far more talented than Shaw

Think he hit Warne in Sharjah for 20 - 26 over and showed the way for others

Edited by diga