Kapil Dev And...": Sunil Gavaskar Picks 3 Legends Who Would Have Excelled In IPL

maniac

Full Article

https://sports.ndtv.com/cricket/kapil-dev-and-sunil-gavaskar-picks-3-legends-who-would-have-excelled-in-ipl-3961853#pfrom=home-ndtv_ustrending

Highlight quotes 

Gavaskar was asked to choose players from his team who are fit for IPL and he went with World Cup-winning skipper Kapil Dev as his choice for the all-rounder. As a batter, he chose Sandeep Patil and his choice for the bowler was BS Chandrashekhar whose action he believed would have helped him in white-ball cricket.

While Mumbai Indians were his first choice, the legend said that he would like to play under MS Dhoni's captaincy.

Mumbai Indians, who else? If not, then I would like to play for Chennai Super Kings. Chennai Super Kings for two reasons, firstly, the Chennai owners are passionate about cricket, they have done so much for the sport. Srinivasan sir has done a lot for cricket

@velu:hmm:

quite poor choices from senile Sunny. more appropriate choices would be as follows:

1. AR: kapil (kind of a no-brainer), although I suspect that amar singh and vinoo mankad can be in the conversation too

2. keeper: budhi kunderan (got to see some highlights of him, and he was made for LOIs)

3. batter: kris srikanth

4. bowler: bapu nadkarni (a no-brainer in my eyes)

From Gavaskar’s team there are many options (from 1980 and onwards):

Srikant - will utilize PP’s well

Shastri - will do a job similar to Jadeja

Patil - a middle order big hitter 

Kapil - AR 

Sidhu - for spin bashing  

Etc. 

The 1987 WC team was quite good (red ball cricket):

Gavaskar

Srikant

Sidhu

Vensarkar

Azhar

Kapil

Shastri

Prabhakar

More/Pandit

Chetan 

Maninder 

10 hours ago, Vijy said:

quite poor choices from senile Sunny. more appropriate choices would be as follows:

1. AR: kapil (kind of a no-brainer), although I suspect that amar singh and vinoo mankad can be in the conversation too

2. keeper: budhi kunderan (got to see some highlights of him, and he was made for LOIs)

His choices are not as cuckoo as you make it seem: sure he missed some names but Kapil is as obvious as it gets and Sandeep based on what his batting style was would have been a great fit and given the demand for mystery spinners in IPL Chandrasekhar: wasn’t he the original one?

Edited by maniac

32 minutes ago, maniac said:

His choices are not as cuckoo as you make it seem: sure he missed some names but Kapil is as obvious as it gets and Sandeep based on what his batting style was would have been a great fit and given the demand for mystery spinners in IPL Chandrasekhar: wasn’t he the original one?

Spot on, Sunny's choices are bad at all. Kapil and Chandra would be very first names on most of the teams.Lack of finishers in IPL is so evident, Patil would  be a very good lower order batsman.

1 hour ago, maniac said:

chandra was not mystery spinner as such; also, he didn't have high control. being wristspinner alone is not enough

srikanth over sandeep patil is also a straightforward choice

Edited by Vijy

Sandeep Patil would definitely have been a great fit. I feel like he got a raw deal from the selectors. He had a fantastic away record with hundreds in Aus and Eng in the limited opportunities that he got. He could also bowl some useful medium pace in away conditions. His poor home record eventually denied him more opportunities. 

8 minutes ago, Texan said:

Sandeep Patil would definitely have been a great fit. I feel like he got a raw deal from the selectors. He had a fantastic away record with hundreds in Aus and Eng in the limited opportunities that he got. He could also bowl some useful medium pace in away conditions. His poor home record eventually denied him more opportunities. 

he was the original Rahane I am assuming

16 hours ago, Vijy said:

Good choices , don't know the bowler but the other three are good . Patil played a season here in Scotland and as a LOI player he wasn't in the same league as Budhi , that's why to this day he is still revered as an adopted Scot . 

11 hours ago, Texan said:

He was dropped for disciplinary reasons along with Kapil dev for playing reckless shots in the Delhi Test.  In his place Azharuddin made debut. He scored 3 centuries in 3 tests and became undroppable. That pretty much ended Patil's career. 

I thought of the India golden oldies who never played any LOI cricket...

Mushtaq Ali

Budhi Kunderan (wk)

Vinoo Mankad

Polly Umrigar

MAK Pataudi (c)

Chandu Borde

Dattu Phadkar

Amar Singh

Bapu Nadkarni

Mohammed Nissar

Subhash Gupte

A team that bats deep and aggressively, lots of quality bowling options and fields well too 

Edited by Sooda

9 hours ago, Sooda said:

I thought of the India golden oldies who never played any LOI cricket...

Mushtaq Ali

Budhi Kunderan (wk)

Vinoo Mankad

Polly Umrigar

MAK Pataudi (c)

Chandu Borde

Dattu Phadkar

Amar Singh

Bapu Nadkarni

Mohammed Nissar

Subhash Gupte

A team that bats deep and aggressively, lots of quality bowling options and fields well too 

this is a good team, albeit with some changes needed IMO depending on 50 vs 20 over cricket. for 50 overs, hazare and modi (rusi modi) should be in - both scored briskly, albeit not super fast. and they had the desired consistency.