Batting was shambles today; you should ask Kohli what shot he played: Sunil Gavaskar tears into India batters after WTC final failure

sage

1 minute ago, raki05 said:

But they are future, you cant spend time on sharma, chokli and pujara. Give Gill, Jaiswal and other youngsters also opportunities to fail , i am sure few of them come out as savior like Pant rather than lossing  tourney after tourney on the name of experience.

could have given a youngster an opportunity easily but they went back to Rahane on the basis of some useless IPL cameos instead of picking the most inform domestic batsmen.

I don’t rate Sarfaraz or some of the other domestic names outside of a few like Jaiswal. I also think Rahane is leagues ahead as a cricketer than Sarfaraz. However my rating shouldn’t matter. You can’t go back to a player you dropped and have to move forward. That right there is a big red flag that Indian cricket lacks a plan, vision, common sense  or guts.

1 hour ago, jalebi_bhai said:

Btw, I'm not against IPL. I believe it's a net positive for Indian cricket provided we learn to reap its benefits properly. We don't know how to and there in lies the problem.

IPL has a net negative impact on Test cricket, especially batting as they are used to playing on flatbeds without learning how to build an innings, our test batting will go to the dogs

We may find some bowlers but batting will suffer.

2 hours ago, jalebi_bhai said:

Btw, I'm not against IPL. I believe it's a net positive for Indian cricket provided we learn to reap it's benefits properly. We don't know how to and there in lies the problem.

And what’s bemusing is that we haven’t won anything in T20 either since IPL inception, go figure :dontknow:

4 minutes ago, Sandz said:

IPL has a net negative impact on Test cricket, especially batting as they are used to playing on flatbeds without learning how to build an innings, our test batting will go to the dogs

It’s about time to accept IPL is a reality that will never go away. I mean it’s common sense why would someone eliminate a tournament that’s keeping cricket relevant and making money for most people involved.

However yes the blame should go to BCCI etc for  not having a plan or vision about player management etc  when we have so many intelligent and capable people available out there.

We should isolate these failures independently and stop blaming IPL.

If a cricketer himself is not hungry and happy once  some money hits his bank account maybe he never had it in him to be a top player 

Edited by maniac
15 minutes ago, Sandz said:

Why would you use IPL as a metric for Test cricket? You have Ranji trophy, Irani trophy etc for that.

15 minutes ago, Sandz said:

And what’s bemusing is that we haven’t won anything in T20 either since IPL inception, go figure :dontknow:

Because we try to adopt Chennai model, Mumbai model and now Gujarat model. That's not what you should do with IPL data.

The problem with blindly using IPL model/data for national team building is you don't consider the home ground factor teams have. IPL teams build their teams to maximize home conditions.

Take someone like Dube for example. Did brilliant for CSK as a spin basher this year. The moment he is picked for India, international teams will bring on their pacers and pepper him with short pitch bowling and he'll struggle.

Define the style of play that we want to play. Then pick players using domestic+ IPL data.

We don't define our playing style. No point in simply looking at orange cap/purple cap lists and assembling them for national team like Avengers....and then expecting them to click. Contextualize the info and build your team. 

15 hours ago, zen said:

It is not about chasing, but about playing sessions out to draw the game (and therefore win the title). 

The batsmen were looking to create boundary opportunities and not being realistic. 

I agree but Rohit alone wasnt the cause for others to bat badly unless they were instructed to score fast.

Btw, i do think Rohit has to retire.

Also if you flat bat everything,  drawing becomes doubly harder.

You have to play normally and then close shop towards the end.

6 hours ago, sensible-indian said:

I agree but Rohit alone wasnt the cause for others to bat badly unless they were instructed to score fast.

At the SCG test until pant assault draw was out of question. His knock even gave an outside chance to win. After his dismissal india had only one option which was to bat out 43 overs which we did. That should have been the case here as well.

8 hours ago, sensible-indian said:

on flat deck like this. We could have dead batted with occasional boundary. Win should have been considered only after Tea on Day 5

Instead they played stupid shots from first ball and paid price.

1 hour ago, Lord said:

on flat deck like this. We could have dead batted with occasional boundary. Win should have been considered only after Tea on Day 5

Instead they played stupid shots from first ball and paid price.

If we dead batted, we would have scored 100 runs and lost a session later...only to be criticized for the weak approach.

We should have batted normally with more caution and then gone for dead batting the last session.

ABD style dead batting takes incredible skill and none except Pujara possess that in this lineup.

Just now, sensible-indian said:

If we dead batted, we would have scored 100 runs and lost a session later...only to be criticized for the weak approach.

We should have batted normally with more caution and then gone for dead batting the last session.

ABD style dead batting takes incredible skill and none except Pujara possess that in this lineup.

no there was nothing in the pitch. We didn't make them earn their wickets.

If Vihari and Ashwin can do it, I'm sure these guys could too.

Ashwin and Vihari did it after the batsmen before them played normally.

Yeah because the chase was on specially after Pant's knock

Chasing 444 without Pant was never gonna happen. So they should have shut shop and punish only loose balls

Just now, Lord said:

Yeah because the chase was on specially after Pant's knock

Chasing 444 without Pant was never gonna happen. So they should have shut shop and punish only loose balls

Thats what I am saying bhai.

Shutting shop without the skills to do for 1.5 days ain't happening.

Cos you are curbing your game which will lead to other kinds of mistakes.

It looks good on paper but had they done it and been bowled out for 75 or 100...you would have said the opposite.

Issue is that the target was too much and our batters are too lame.

Loss was 99% inevitable.

Only hope for draw was Pujara playing a long long innings.

Once he was gone, we were pretty much done.

Thats what I am saying bhai.

Shutting shop without the skills to do for 1.5 days ain't happening.

Cos you are curbing your game which will lead to other kinds of mistakes.

It looks good on paper but had they done it and been bowled out for 75 or 100...you would have said the opposite.

Issue is that the target was too much and our batters are too lame.

Loss was 99% inevitable.

Only hope for draw was Pujara playing a long long innings.

Once he was gone, we were pretty much done.

All I'm saying that dead batting was our only chance. 1% but only chance

Was never gonna chase it so needed to reduce unforced errors.

if Ashwin can dead bat, I don't know why Kohli,Rahane,Jaddu couldn't. Why depend so much on a failing Pujara?

Just now, Lord said:

All I'm saying that dead batting was our only chance. 1% but only chance

Was never gonna chase it so needed to reduce unforced errors.

if Ashwin can dead bat, I don't know why Kohli,Rahane,Jaddu couldn't. Why depend so much on a failing Pujara?

Yeah.

But requires a special kind of mentality to aim for that from ball 1.

India was mentally done by Day 1 after Aus assault.

My friends kept asking me can we chase or draw..I kept saying no for the sole reason that our mindset is coming from a place of negativity.