19-year-old Titan passenger was ‘terrified’ before trip, his aunt says

DeepSpace

In the days before the Titan vessel went into the ocean off the coast of Newfoundland, Canada, the 19-year-old university student accompanying his father on the expedition expressed hesitation about going, his aunt said in an interview Thursday.

Azmeh Dawood — the older sister of Pakistani businessman Shahzada Dawood — told NBC News that her nephew, Suleman, informed a relative that he "wasn't very up for it" and felt "terrified" about the trip to explore the wreckage of the Titanic.

But the 19-year-old ended up going aboard OceanGate's 22-foot submersible because the trip fell over Father's Day weekend and he was eager to please his dad, who was passionate about the lore of the Titanic, according to Azmeh.

"I am thinking of Suleman, who is 19, in there, just perhaps gasping for breath ... It's been crippling, to be honest," Azmeh said in a phone interview from the home in Amsterdam she shares with her husband, Jonathan.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/titanic-submersible-shahwood-suleman-family-tragedy-rcna90678

Edited by Austin 3:!6

Really sad for all what happened and for the family members.

That said, and maybe I am out of line here, but frankly I am sick of the Titanic.  100s of liners have sank over the centuries.  100s of refugees and asylum-seekers who take great risks for a better life sink and die in the oceans every year.  They are all tragedies, but the focus on the Titanic is a bit ... nauseating.  Even with the Titanic, the focus is on all the hoity-toitys, you never hear of the common folk who served the hoity toitys. Enough already.

I even walked out of the Titanic movie (DiCaprio and Drew B?) 30 minutes in.

Thanks @Austin 3:!6 for editing the title.

Truly sad. 
But then, they had paid $250k each and knew the risks involved. The tub was not designed and tested fully for such high pressure in deep sea. I have swam in a pool and in the ocean. The volume of water in the ocean  is overwhelming, even for expert swimmers. This they are talking about diving 2 miles into the ocean. Why would anyone take such risk? 

Edited by coffee_rules

32 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

Thanks @Austin 3:!6 for editing the title.

Truly sad. 
But then, they had paid $250k each and knew the risks involved. The tub was not designed and tested fully for such high pressure in deep sea. I have swam in a pool and in the ocean. The volume of water in the ocean  is overwhelming, even for expert swimmers. This they are talking about diving 2 miles into the ocean. Why would anyone take such risk? 

Different motivations of different people: For some, it is a genuine interest in knowing what happened to their loved ones. For others, it is to find priceless treasures. And yet others? Thrill/Glory seeking

The blunt truth is the world needs its eccentrics who push the boundaries.

We are all sitting on technological gains made during ww2 and the cold war which followed. Animal testing was rife.

This is a sad situation, this tragedy and lessons must 100% be learnt, but innovative tendencies must not be squashed either. A fine line for policy makers.

11 hours ago, BacktoCricaddict said:

Really sad for all what happened and for the family members.

That said, and maybe I am out of line here, but frankly I am sick of the Titanic.  100s of liners have sank over the centuries.  100s of refugees and asylum-seekers who take great risks for a better life sink and die in the oceans every year.  They are all tragedies, but the focus on the Titanic is a bit ... nauseating.  Even with the Titanic, the focus is on all the hoity-toitys, you never hear of the common folk who served the hoity toitys. Enough already.

I even walked out of the Titanic movie (DiCaprio and Drew B?) 30 minutes in.

Thats Kate Winslet.

The ongoing news with updates

The more I think about this, the more it appears as if this was a disaster waiting to happen as the pressure at the depths of 13,000 ft probably requires vessels to be decommissioned after a couple of uses or so (many deep diving subs are decommissioned after 1 service). 

Every incremental trip to such depths can impact the structure of the sub, and then there would come the point where it would stop resisting under pressure (which increases every 10 meters or so if I recall correctly).

If so, this appears like a cost-saving exercise (by using the sub for multiple trips)  and to keep the ticket price relatively low. 

Let’s see what the investigation into this tragedy reveals. 

PS The thread is mainly to discuss the causes and the investigation of the disaster (not about mourning or any cross-border stuff). 

Edited by zen

2 hours ago, ravishingravi said:

Been listening to James Cameron. Made more sense than most scientist. I don't even know what the rescue mission was all about. 

Cameron is an experienced deep sea explorer and a part owner of a submarine manufacturing company. 

Cameroon has been to the challenger deep in a submersible designed by him! (An experimental one but not for passengers). 

He would know about the subject. 

2 hours ago, ravishingravi said:

Been listening to James Cameron. Made more sense than most scientist. I don't even know what the rescue mission was all about. 

Am not aware of any scientist/s who have opined differently. From whatever little I have read, scientists are in consensus that the company ignored warnings and took short-cuts. The "rescue" mission was about glory-seeking for some and ancestor-curiosity for others. For oceangate, it was $$$$.  If anything, the tragedy was a result of an irresponsible version of capitalism rather than of expert-failures. It's stuff like this that drives the calls for more regulation of everything.