Riyan Parag

tweaker

We need multi dimensional players like Abhishek and Parag in ODI cricket- batsman who are decent with ball.

That is the secret of winning the world cup- 7 pure batsman ( with couple of bowlers making the 5th bowler quota) and 4 pure bowler ( one of them decent with bat).

You can't go with 6 batsman + Jadeja/Axar/Shardul type of players. 

12 hours ago, deepdynamo said:

We need multi dimensional players like Abhishek and Parag in ODI cricket- batsman who are decent with ball.

That is the secret of winning the world cup- 7 pure batsman ( with couple of bowlers making the 5th bowler quota) and 4 pure bowler ( one of them decent with bat).

You can't go with 6 batsman + Jadeja/Axar/Shardul type of players. 

given how much part-timers can be hit for, you would ideally a batter who can bowl in top 6, a batting AR at 7, and a bowling AR at 8. last 3 would be "pure" bowlers.

2 minutes ago, Vijy said:

given how much part-timers can be hit for, you would ideally a batter who can bowl in top 6, a batting AR at 7, and a bowling AR at 8. last 3 would be "pure" bowlers.

I simply belive,if opposition side has batsman in the lower half capable of hitting our part timers

We too need to balance it out by having batsman to hit their parttimers out of the park which can't be done by Jadeja/Axar/Pandua/shardul types

So we desperately need 2-3batsman who can bowl and give us 4-5 overs in Odis,same is the case in t20s

Long batting gives more advantage as we have observed these days and 4genuine wicket takers if not 5

1 minute ago, Suhaan said:

I simply belive,if opposition side has batsman in the lower half capable of hitting our part timers

We too need to balance it out by having batsman to hit their parttimers out of the park which can't be done by Jadeja/Axar/Pandua/shardul types

So we desperately need 2-3batsman who can bowl and give us 4-5 overs in Odis,same is the case in t20s

Long batting gives more advantage as we have observed these days and 4genuine wicket takers if not 5

yes, ideal balance is a batter who bowls + batting AR + bowling AR. and the latter duo should score at high SR. need both deep batting and varied bowling - only way is to produce multi-skilled cricketers who are good enough in their primary skill (i.e., not bits and pieces)

IPL is a boon and curse as well. Sometimes we reject players based on IPL. Sarfraz was one guy. ANother guy was Parag. I am glad they could deliver this season. Hope this trend doesn't continue. Treating IPL performance as pinnacle and giviing scant respect to domestic performance. It is consistently proven most of the good finds have done somewhere well in domestic or under-19. 

4 hours ago, vvvslaxman said:

IPL is a boon and curse as well. Sometimes we reject players based on IPL. Sarfraz was one guy. ANother guy was Parag. I am glad they could deliver this season. Hope this trend doesn't continue. Treating IPL performance as pinnacle and giviing scant respect to domestic performance. It is consistently proven most of the good finds have done somewhere well in domestic or under-19. 

The crux of that selection mess is we still mix formats

Parag, 22, put his recent success down to the hard work in the lead-up to this IPL season. In the 2023-24 Syed Mustaq Ali Trophy, he had emerged as the top-scorer with 510 runs in ten innings at an average of 85 and strike rate of nearly 183. It included a sequence of seven consecutive half-centuries - a T20 record. Parag had fine-tuned his T20 game by working with Zubin Bharucha, the former Mumbai player, who is a senior coaching staff at Royals.

"I think it's a result of a lot of practice behind the scenes," Parag told the host broadcaster after powering Royals to 185 for 5. "I think it's not about the bowler but the ball he is bowling and I practiced a lot of those balls and I could execute a few of them tonight."

In the final over of Royals' innings, Parag lined up Anrich Nortje, one of the fastest bowlers in the world, and took him for 4, 4, 6, 4, 6. Even bouncers and yorkers were not spared.

"I always have my options ready on both sides of the wicket. That's what I've been working on lately and I just back myself," Parag said. "I know I've got the power and the strength to dig out yorker balls or even hit sixes off the short balls. So, I'm just backing myself and whenever it comes, I'm going to hit a boundary. Sometimes, it does work out and sometimes it doesn't."

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/ipl-riyan-parag-i-have-the-power-and-strength-to-deal-with-yorkers-short-balls-1426859