Who is the frontrunners for this world cup

gakgupta

4 minutes ago, rageaddict said:

If meet NZ in the Semis then yes game over for India. Hopefully India don't meet NZ in the Semis. If NZ are up against any other team in the Semis,  they wont qualify for Finals so India will be safe. 

yes. We become mentally meek. Also NZ has zero pressure against India with no real rivalry.  

- Australia is always a top contender - no matter if they play their A/B or C team.
- England is probably the best whiteball cricket team going around atm.
- Pakistan has the bowling power - batting power not so much unless a minnow is to be bashed. But if they can do well in the qualification round, its 2 games away from lifting the cup - we all saw what happened in Champions trophy

- NZ - I donno man, i don't even know how these guys pulls it off each god damn WC but they do and they make it to the semi-final. What else is there to say. The team isn't even something great on paper or to worry about much each god damn cup but they are there, in the semi.

These are my 4 contenders. 

Hopeful
India - lot will depend on the fatman. Fatman actually comes alive during important tournament. Kohli better get atleast 60-70% of his prime form back. The team is too inconsistent these days. One day getting allout for 200 ish and another day blasting their way to 350+. Can't have such inconsistency if you want to win the cup

What could have been
- BD -Coming into the wc as the #3 team is no easy feat for sure. Butttt looks like too many behind the scene drama with the players/coach is affecting this team's harmony. Inconsistency in batting line up. Fast bowling lineup however is quite deadly - inferior to Pak but still up there. Would have given them a chance prior to Tamim fiasco but now can they regain wtv confidence they lost? Who knows.
- SL - Is actually on an excellent ODI form and that close to the WC too. Many good bowlers in the team also. Also known to punch above their weight always during big tournaments - just look at last asia cup

Just no
Afg - good bowling line up, trash batting line up. One hit wonder kind of thing - Lots will also depend on the openers. Gurbaz is always a threat on top of the order
SA - bruh, what exactly is going on with this team. Regressing hardcore. 
Ned - well I mean, every team will pick on them. WI would have been a better contender to cause more major upsets but it iz what it iz. 

Australia are nearly there. I think conservative selections might hold them back but they have the players and a perfect combination for the way they are going to play. 

They need another hard-hitting batsman to replace Marcus Fraudonis - the Greek God of fraud all-rounders . Maybe Aaron Hardie in for Abbott and I think just maybe Marnus for Smith if he continues to bat the way he has been doing recently

Edited by Nikhil_cric
On 9/14/2023 at 7:48 AM, jf1gp_1 said:

We beat Pakistan and SL A and suddenly we are world beaters. I still feel we need luck to make it to semis.

We're not world beaters by any stretch.

Yes, you can say that familiarity with the pitch & conditions might give us an advantage. But I will still keep us at 3rd position (Aus & England) are comfortable ahead.

Pitches will be flatter and ICC would want high scoring games, England & Auzzies are better than us in power hitting game. 

28 minutes ago, singhvivek141 said:

We're not world beaters by any stretch.

Yes, you can say that familiarity with the pitch & conditions might give us an advantage. But I will still keep us at 3rd position (Aus & England) are comfortable ahead.

Pitches will be flatter and ICC would want high scoring games, England & Auzzies are better than us in power hitting game. 

I think you misunderstood my post. Home advantage will be there but our team has it flaws which was exposed by both pakistan and SL bowling. We are a decent side on paper but need some luck as well to make it into semis. Aussies and english will be in semis but NZ, SA are no pushovers. One bad game against Pak or SL and we will be playing catch-up. 

This current team of ours does poorly when it comes to must win games. When I say must win I don't just mean knock out games but also matches which are must win in terms of making it to semis and up. We look good when we win upfront and qualify for next stage early. Last Asia Cup we lost to Pak, next we had to win against SL but we didn't. In T20 WC Dubai we lost to Pak had to beat NZ but again were wipped out. We just dont do well playing catch-up. 

On 9/12/2023 at 1:12 PM, Nikhil_cric said:

Should be the case. One of these teams is definitely winning that Cup even if all 4 of them don't make the semis.  

Hmph. This World Cup cycle has had too few games to make an accurate prediction. Just not enough bilateral ODI's and too many useless T20I's and meaningless Tests.

Can only make a prediction only after all bilaterals are done. Pakistan look mentally out. Scarred by India and now SL. Though they still have good enough players but I'm not sure they are better than SA. NZ have no chance at winning the Cup even if they do sneak into semis/final

In order of finishing the group stage (1-4):

Australia (strong recent form, overall balanced side)

India (because we are the hosts, also, barring 2021 World T20, we traditionally dominate the group stage before choking in knockouts)

Pakistan (familiar conditions, strong pace bowling attack which can do well in India, decent batting lineup, however unpredictability can go against them)
England (recent form is not great, but not ruling them out due to their aggressive batsmen who hit from ball 1, bowling is bit suspect)

NZ will miss out on semis this time, they have never played well in India.

Edited by adkrish22290