Sundar joins asia cup squad

mani sha

7 minutes ago, Lord said:

We got to 266 after top 3 failed in first game v Pak. Certainly can be done.

Anyway we have to do as neither top 3 bat down nor perform in knockouts. Kohli should ideally bat at 4 but will never happen

We will still be able to do it if top 7 do it.

Axar and bowlers are not ing to win anything with their bat.

11 minutes ago, singhvivek141 said:

1. They may not win matches on their own, but can atleast support if their is a set batter at the opposite end. With Kuldeep, and then 3 quicks..they might even not be able to survive one ball

2. Probably we won't, but a stable MO can atleast move us from 90/3 to 180/6

We will still have stable middle order till 4-7. 

But we will have strong bowling options to keep any team down.

1 minute ago, putrevus said:

We will still be able to do it if top 7 do it.

Axar and bowlers are not ing to win anything with their bat.

Axar is a decent bat. Bowling is a problem.

We can't play Hardik as 5th bowler. He's not a 10 over bowler yet.

3 hours ago, Lord said:

Hardik and Tilak will take up 5th bowler role.

Hardik was our 5th bowler even in 2019.

Axar the batsman will not be needed in as many matches as Axar the bowler if he is playing as sole left arm spinner.

Edited by putrevus
1 hour ago, vvvslaxman said:

Sundar doesn't have as much fanbase as Ashwin.  People are pitching for Ashwin instead of Sundar.

That's understandable, Ashwin has been a match winner for last 8-10 years. But his white ball returns has diminished post 2017.

It's unfortunate that we are still looking for him in 2023 (6 years later).

14 hours ago, Lord said:

The solution was right there in front of us yesterday. 6 overs from Hardik and 4 overs from Tilak Varma. Play Tilak at 5 - he probably can play spin better than Ishan.

And then maybe Washington at 7.

If Iyer is fit, he plays at 4. KL at 5, Varma at 6, Pandya at 7. 

Kishan should not play as a pure batter especially in the middle order. It's a complete waste on these spinning decks. 

15 hours ago, vvvslaxman said:

Tilak the batsman itself is a major question mark now let alone bowler. I like that guy. But he is too raw at this stage without any defined role.  The way he stood against Tanzim didn't give me confidence. He exposed all 3 stumps not knowing where his off stump was.  

There is something called pressure when you make international debut, due to nerves for a bowler ball does not get released well , for batters feet do not move freely. Let us keep our judgement at least till we see him  5-6 matches at a stretch. 

Am pretty sure he is much better than the way he is getting abuses by many ICFERS here. 

2 hours ago, jf1gp_1 said:

Sky over Ishan ? Wasnt a big fan of Ishan but he has done well since pants injury

Yeah, I am not discarding Ishan but it is quite evident he is more of a top order bat or back up opener. Sundar can bat in middle order and we can use SKY for acceleration in the end.

That said, it is highly unlikely that they will do these experiments now.

30 minutes ago, Number said:

Yeah, I am not discarding Ishan but it is quite evident he is more of a top order bat or back up opener. Sundar can bat in middle order and we can use SKY for acceleration in the end.

That said, it is highly unlikely that they will do these experiments now.

I want India to steamroll SL like what we did to Pak. Just a warning shot that we might have issues but we are around. 

1 hour ago, Nikhil_cric said:

The solution was right there in front of us yesterday. 6 overs from Hardik and 4 overs from Tilak Varma. Play Tilak at 5 - he probably can play spin better than Ishan.

Kishan should not play as a pure batter especially in the middle order. It's a complete waste on these spinning decks. 

I would try this in the final

Usual Top 3

Rahul

Tilak

Hardik

Sundar

Shardul

Kuldeep 

Bumrah 

Siraj

Fake all rounder Fraudeja out...  Suddenly we manage to get a extra pacer + a genuine batter to replace him. 

2 hours ago, prudent_kreeda said:

There is something called pressure when you make international debut, due to nerves for a bowler ball does not get released well , for batters feet do not move freely. Let us keep our judgement at least till we see him  5-6 matches at a stretch. 

Am pretty sure he is much better than the way he is getting abuses by many ICFERS here. 

Yes. Pressure. Should have batted down. My point is we still don't know one way or the other. DOn't want this to be another Surya exercise at the last minute. He is yet to prove it. With very few  matches to go before the world cup begins preparing an youngster is not optimal.

3 hours ago, Nikhil_cric said:

Tilak's batting is suspect itself. We are just assuming he makes it based on batting.

Kishan is pretty good for pattas which we'll mostly get in ODIs.

2 hours ago, Lord said:

Tilak's batting is suspect itself. We are just assuming he makes it based on batting.

Kishan is pretty good for pattas which we'll mostly get in ODIs.

Tilak can't bat in the top order right now because he can't judge the line unless his eye gets right on top of off stump in swinging/seaming conditions. 

Kishan can't bat in the middle order on spin wickets. 

3 hours ago, Lone Wolf said:

I would try this in the final

Usual Top 3

Rahul

Tilak

Hardik

Sundar

Shardul

Kuldeep 

Bumrah 

Siraj

Fake all rounder Fraudeja out...  Suddenly we manage to get a extra pacer + a genuine batter to replace him. 

Yeah that's a good lineup but at some point we will have to play the extra batter and see where that goes 

On 9/16/2023 at 3:32 AM, Majestic said:

Yes, Sundar looks an apt choice for 15 man squad for Asia Cup and World Cup both. If you play both Jads and Axs then one of the two will always suffer in bowling. But Sundar provides a new dimension to the bowling and can be used as another bowling option or even as replacement of Jadeja.

Don't worry about his hitting skills. What is more important is can he provide that clutch finishing job( like a Mini- Bevan) at any of 5,6,7 or sometimes even at 8 (where you maybe 6 down at 150 odd chasing 240)?

I'm a big believer in washi - his injuries screwed him and the Indian team badly.  Ideally he should have played 20+ ODIs ahead of this WC, and gotten to bat as high as #5 to get some ODI experience under his belt.  Both his batting skills and temperament are good enough for a middle order bat, and his bowling is at least as useful as Jaddu's, and arguably a more economical bet than Jaddu's in white ball on flat tracks.  

I personally believe both Washi and Ashwin are better alternatives to selecting Jadeja in the ODI first choice XI for the WC - Washi is a better batting option (slightly) and no worse a bowler, Ashwin is a non-trivial upgrade over Jaddu with the ball, but definitely a slight downgrade with the bat.  If I had to pick one, and assuming both are fully fit and in rhythm, I'd go with Ashwin as the 2nd spiner and bolster the wicket taking options in the bowling.  

1.  Rohit
  2. Gill
  3. Ishan/Virat
  4. Virat/Ishan
  5. KLPD 
  6. Pandu
  7. SKY
  8. Ashwin
  9. Boom
  10. Kuldeep
  11. Siraj 

That's my best XI given the current scenario.  In an ideal world I'd replace Ishan with Sundar, and potentially replace Ashwin with either Shami or