Favorite film of all time!

zen

If you had to pick only ONE film as your favorite of all-time (obviously at this point in time), which one would it be and why? 

As for me, I thought that I would have a difficult time picking one but the name came up surprisingly quickly - Black Narcissus (1947). The reason(s): 

I like the concept of a group of people facing challenges in a remote location esp. if it happens to be mountains. I also like psychological elements, which can be difficult to convey on screen, blended in. In this film, a group of nuns are tasked to set up a school and hospital at a remote place in the Himalayas. Previous attempts to do that have failed. Besides the challenges associated with the mission, the place has the tendency to impact the mind in different ways (the psychological challenge). There are elements such as jealousy woven in as well that drive the tension forward. 

On the technical side, this film is solid. It won two Oscars - cinematography and art design (shot mostly at Pinewood Studios), which are breathtaking. The colors are utilized brilliantly to bring vibrancy to each frame. The acting suits the film. The score is interesting. The screenplay is top-notch. Directors Powell-Pressburger described Black Narcissus as their most erotic film because of its theme (In case you are wondering, there are no erotic scenes in the film). 

Edited by zen

Another top favorite is To Catch a Thief (1955). Overall, it is a fun film with a nice atmosphere. Like the chemistry b/w Grant and Kelly. The glamorous French Riveria serves as the location. If I have to nitpick, the score could have been better like in some of the other Hitchcock films (though many of Hitchcock films with interesting scores such as Vertigo, North by Northwest, and Psycho were released after this one). The film was nominated for 3 Oscars - cinematography, art design, and costume. While it did not win any Oscars, it won hearts: 

Edited by zen

27 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

What a fall from grace for Siddharth and Prakash Raj for their political views. Both turned out to be bums. Movie is a sugar candy , regular south fare. 

Both are unhinged. Prakash Raj esp seems to have completely lost it in the past few years.  Kamala Haasan is not that far away from that either. Vijay is about to enter politics as well - talking about giving free stuff while being a huge tax evader. 

Edited by bharathh

38 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

What a fall from grace for Siddharth and Prakash Raj for their political views. Both turned out to be bums. Movie is a sugar candy , regular south fare. 

These days when we're learning so much about celebrities every day, it's hard to enjoy any piece of media without separating art from the artist