India suspends visa services for Canadians

rangeelaraja

This was done after Canada said they are downsizing their consular staff in India due to security threats received by them? WTF? 

Seriously?! What happened to freedom of speech Canada? 

I guess having leaflets announcing a reward for killing Indian diplomats or having targeted social media posts against Indian diplomats in Canada means nothing but some social media posts (if any) is a security threat for Canadians in India who are provided Z+ level security. Indian embassy in Canada gets nothing.

They will regret this in the long term. 

5 hours ago, rangeelaraja said:

I know revoking of OCI cards is next on the line for all suspected Khalis. You will never be able to set foot on India again - if caught on camera as a Khali activist. 

Long overdue.  OCI is not a visa, its a privilege - we had this underscore person bragging about how he visits India every year.  Indian government needs to use the legal system to identify and go after all these secessionists.  They want to support "Khalistan" in Caneda or elsewhere? fine.  They want to come eat Chole in Amritsar, or buy property? You are within the legal jurisdiction of Bharat.  

This isn't complicated.  

16 minutes ago, sandeep said:

Long overdue.  OCI is not a visa, its a privilege - we had this underscore person bragging about how he visits India every year.  Indian government needs to use the legal system to identify and go after all these secessionists.  They want to support "Khalistan" in Caneda or elsewhere? fine.  They want to come eat Chole in Amritsar, or buy property? You are within the legal jurisdiction of Bharat.  

This isn't complicated.  

India Gov needs a financial mechanism of Pro India OCIs in UK Canada etc to report and drop details of suspected Khalistanis based on evidences, social media posts etc by which Gov can work out the link within Punjab with family members and assets. Once these people are identified based on proof, their OCIs and any future visa applications must be blacklisted and their properties seized.

17 minutes ago, sandeep said:

This isn't complicated.  

I would go one step further  - and I think the Modi govt will eventually do this...which is to attach all their assets - agriland, commercial and residential property - once proven that an OCI holder is involved in secessionist activities. 

17 minutes ago, rangeelaraja said:

I would go one step further  - and I think the Modi govt will eventually do this...which is to attach all their assets - agriland, commercial and residential property - once proven that an OCI holder is involved in secessionist activities. 

That has to be a post-conviction thing, not for 'accused'.  Or for those directly associated with violent crimes.  But suspension of OCI - suspension of "PIO" rights to buy property - these things are soft privileges and can be legally exercised without catching unnecessary flak for "witch-hunt", "authoritarian overreach" etc.  

Indian govt needs to use a scalpel/needle not a cannon to go after these idiotic insects. Learn from the utter stupidity of the CCP, no need to go overboard.  

5 minutes ago, ravishingravi said:

Can a person with OCI work in India ? Or will he have to get an expat contract ? Just wondering how far can this OCI be exploited 

Yes, There is no need for any other work visa to work in India with OCI. Only thing that can’t be done is contest or vote in elections or buy new agricultural land.  We nheritence is ok

50 minutes ago, sandeep said:

That has to be a post-conviction thing, not for 'accused'.  Or for those directly associated with violent crimes.  But suspension of OCI - suspension of "PIO" rights to buy property - these things are soft privileges and can be legally exercised without catching unnecessary flak for "witch-hunt", "authoritarian overreach" etc.  

Indian govt needs to use a scalpel/needle not a cannon to go after these idiotic insects. Learn from the utter stupidity of the CCP, no need to go overboard.  

You cannot convict without the other nation participating. Despite there being an Interpol notice and there being an extradition treaty between the 2 countries the Khalistanis were not persecuted or sent back to face the court... so how do you convict? 

3 minutes ago, bharathh said:

You cannot convict without the other nation participating. Despite there being an Interpol notice and there being an extradition treaty between the 2 countries the Khalistanis were not persecuted or sent back to face the court... so how do you convict? 

Interpol notice is just a re-post of original warrant, doesn't carry much weight.  The question to ask is whether the Indian government actively used the extradition treaty to push Canadian govt to extradite this guy. 

Conviction is a function of legal proceedings in a court of law. Many Countries allow for trials in absentia - in some places that's considered a violation of human rights, so thats nebulous.  But my point is, just filing charges makes a person an "accused".  An 'alleged' criminal, not a proven one.  So before taking punitive action against any individual, Indian government should have a bit more solid legal foundation to act, instead of just a basic charge filed.  Hope that clarifies. 

13 minutes ago, sandeep said:

Interpol notice is just a re-post of original warrant, doesn't carry much weight.  The question to ask is whether the Indian government actively used the extradition treaty to push Canadian govt to extradite this guy. 

Conviction is a function of legal proceedings in a court of law. Many Countries allow for trials in absentia - in some places that's considered a violation of human rights, so thats nebulous.  But my point is, just filing charges makes a person an "accused".  An 'alleged' criminal, not a proven one.  So before taking punitive action against any individual, Indian government should have a bit more solid legal foundation to act, instead of just a basic charge filed.  Hope that clarifies. 

I understood you the first time around. 

The point is that conviction cannot happen without good faith from the other side as well which will not happen with Canada, US, UK etc. So we cannot convict someone to do what you are suggesting. That was my point. 

19 minutes ago, Lord said:

So if an Indian/Hindu is facing tough times in Canada(which will surely happen), they can't come back to India?

Indians don’t need visa to come to India they will have OCI card or they have to apply for OCI if they don’t have one. But this is more making it tough for Canadians to come to India.