Who was the better Indian ODI trio of the two?

Majestic

Sachin-Sehwag -Ganguly vs Rohit-Dhawan-Kohli, the better ODI trio?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Who was the better trio of the two?

• Sachin - Sehwag - Ganguly
    • Rohit - Dhawan - Kohli

4 minutes ago, bowl_out said:

SRT-Sehwag is great.. Why is Ganguly in this trio?

If I remember correctly, SRT-Sehwag-Gambhir did better than SRT-Sehwag-Ganguly

Ditto, Sachin-Viru-Gautam were the trio in 2011 WC who were a nightmare to every team.

Ganguly the ODI batter declined post 2002-03, he was barely surviving courtesy of some knocks here & there

37 minutes ago, bowl_out said:

SRT-Sehwag is great.. Why is Ganguly in this trio?

If I remember correctly, SRT-Sehwag-Gambhir did better than SRT-Sehwag-Ganguly

31 minutes ago, singhvivek141 said:

Ditto, Sachin-Viru-Gautam were the trio in 2011 WC who were a nightmare to every team.

Ganguly the ODI batter declined post 2002-03, he was barely surviving courtesy of some knocks here & there

Between 2000-07, you had that trio.

2003 WC for example. Gambhir was good but it's not like he has 10k runs like Ganguly had.

Lol no comparison, Sachin Sehwag Ganguly anyday anytime of the week.

Played the game when the balance between bat and ball was narrower. Played during the time when pitches weren't this flat and boundaries weren't this small. 

Played against the likes of McGrath, Gillespie, Lee, Warne, Wasim, Waqar, Shoaib, Saqlain, Walsh, Ambrose, Donald, Pollock, Vaas, Murali, Shane Bond. 

40 minutes ago, Majestic said:

Between 2000-07, you had that trio.

2003 WC for example. Gambhir was good but it's not like he has 10k runs like Ganguly had.

Yeah, but Gambhir had many more clutch knocks than Ganguly. 

Even the two hundreds that Ganguly got in the 2003 WC were against associate nations.

He was still really good compared to the other duds that opened with Sachin before 1998, but I feel Gambhir had more impact than Ganguly

3 minutes ago, Sean Bradley said:

Lol no comparison, Sachin Sehwag Ganguly anyday anytime of the week.

Played the game when the balance between bat and ball was narrower. Played during the time when pitches weren't this flat and boundaries weren't this small. 

Played against the likes of McGrath, Gillespie, Lee, Warne, Wasim, Waqar, Shoaib, Saqlain, Walsh, Ambrose, Donald, Pollock, Vaas, Murali, Shane Bond. 

This is a myth that boundaries are smaller.

Boundaries were smaller earlier also, it's just that modern day batsmen are better hitters.

2 minutes ago, Trichromatic said:

This is a myth that boundaries are smaller.

Boundaries were smaller earlier also, it's just that modern day batsmen are better hitters.

Yeah  boundaries have been the same. Those desert knocks were in smaller grounds. The main difference between before the kohlis era is 2nd new ball which negated reverse swing after 32nd over and more favourable power play rules. 

Kohli dominated chuckers like ajmal and destroyed malinga in his prime. 

1 hour ago, Sean Bradley said:

Have you seen Ganguly and Sehwag play spin? Have you seen Sachin manhandle Warne? Doesn't seem that you have watched enough cricket, so I ll let this pass. 

Bold is a myth. 

I wouldn't call it a myth.

Modern batsmen are stronger due to better fitness and strength training.

(Kohli in the 90s would be rolu molu type looking batsman. Not the lean and mean machine he is now.)

Plus they practice hitting compared to yesteryear bats.

Of course, they have many advantages like better bats, easier pitches, newer balls in ODIs, etc.

Hard to compare.

Edited by sensible-indian
2 hours ago, Sean Bradley said:

Have you seen Ganguly and Sehwag play spin? Have you seen Sachin manhandle Warne? Doesn't seem that you have watched enough cricket, so I ll let this pass. 

Bold is a myth. 

I am not talking about who is better batsman.

Modern batsmen are better hitters is all I said.

2 hours ago, Laaloo said:

Yeah  boundaries have been the same. Those desert knocks were in smaller grounds. The main difference between before the kohlis era is 2nd new ball which negated reverse swing after 32nd over and more favourable power play rules. 

Kohli dominated chuckers like ajmal and destroyed malinga in his prime. 

Yes, or the 37 ball century by Afridi - that looked like small ground.

There were so many matches played in small grounds with ropes further brought in. Batsmen were not used to going after bowling and hitting big ones.

3 hours ago, bowl_out said:

Yeah, but Gambhir had many more clutch knocks than Ganguly. 

Even the two hundreds that Ganguly got in the 2003 WC were against associate nations.

He was still really good compared to the other duds that opened with Sachin before 1998, but I feel Gambhir had more impact than Ganguly

Ganguly in 1999 WC was at another level.

Gambhir doesn't have way more clutch knocks.2000s pitches and bowling quality was down but not the 1990s.