Do you remember this game?

Can't say I remember this specific match, but I remember Zimbabwe being an extremely competitive team in that era

Flower bros

Whittal bros

Spinners like Strang & Ray Price

Bowlers like Brandes, Streak

Batters like Johnson, Campbell, Goodwin, Johnson, Rennie

90' was an competitive era for almost all teams, anyone can beat anyone on that particular day, no favourites whatsoever...unlike 2000's where Australia almost had a head start against any opponent.

Yes how can I not ? This was my first overseas Odi series as a Spectator. Was a very competitive and entertaining Tri series and India were struggling to beat Zimbabwe here..

The last ball of the match was a Klusener Donald Moment. Brandes bowled a wide but Prasad ran resulting in a run out..

In the final of this series, there was some controversy with Donald racially abusing Dravid where SA defeated India. 

Even the crowds for the India Zimbabwe matches were great throughout the series. Golden era of Cricket. 

11 minutes ago, rageaddict said:

Yes how can I not ? This was my first overseas Odi series as a Spectator. Was a very competitive and entertaining Tri series and India were struggling to beat Zimbabwe here..

The last ball of the match was a Klusener Donald Moment. Brandes bowled a wide but Prasad ran resulting in a run out..

In the final of this series, there was some controversy with Donald racially abusing Dravid where SA defeated India. 

Even the crowds for the India Zimbabwe matches were great throughout the series. Golden era of Cricket. 

Who was at fault?

Ankola who was on strike, saw the wide and probably thought to play next ball for winning run.

Prasad thought it was run opportunity and ran madly. 

15 minutes ago, Trichromatic said:

Who was at fault?

Ankola who was on strike, saw the wide and probably thought to play next ball for winning run.

I think there is a little confusion. I am sure the last ball bowled was to Robin Singh. The Non Striker was maybe Prasad or Ankola, not sure. 

Robin Swung at the ball which was down the leg, Non Striker Ran and Robin also had to run . 2 runs were need in 1 ball. Brandes hit the stumps at the non strikers end and Robin was dismissed. Just when all the drama was unfolding , Umpire called it wide and thus the match was a tie. 

Edited by rageaddict
3 hours ago, Trichromatic said:

Who was at fault?

Not Ankola. It was Robin Singh. He was essentially the finisher/big hitter down the order for India back in the day.

7 hours ago, singhvivek141 said:

Can't say I remember this specific match, but I remember Zimbabwe being an extremely competitive team in that era

Flower bros

Whittal bros

Spinners like Strang & Ray Price

Bowlers like Brandes, Streak

Batters like Johnson, Campbell, Goodwin, Johnson, Rennie

90' was an competitive era for almost all teams, anyone can beat anyone on that particular day, no favourites whatsoever...unlike 2000's where Australia almost had a head start against any opponent.

Andy Blignaut was probably their quickest but came in later along with Travis Friend. And how could you forget Olonga lol. Henry Olonga even came on The Voice I think haha.

Edited by MK55
16 minutes ago, MK55 said:

Andy Blignaut was probably their quickest but came in later along with Travis Friend. And how could you forget Olonga lol. Henry Olonga even came on The Voice I think haha.

Blignaut was a powerful hitter as well, can really smoke big sixes.

Then there was Mbangwa...it was tough to take his name.

Marrilier, Sean Ervine & Stuart Carlisle came a bit later. We had Taibu as well.

That Robert Mugabe deprived us of next gen cricketers from Zimbabwe. 

9 minutes ago, singhvivek141 said:

Blignaut was a powerful hitter as well, can really smoke big sixes.

Then there was Mbangwa...it was tough to take his name.

Marrilier, Sean Ervine & Stuart Carlisle came a bit later. We had Taibu as well.

That Robert Mugabe deprived us of next gen cricketers from Zimbabwe. 

Yes I remember Blignaut bowling a fiery spell in Australia in the tests. Caught that in the news then. I dint watch that live though.

Blignaut would have been among the Highest Paid All Rounders in the World  if he was playing in the present era of IPL and other leagues. What is Stoinis in front of him ? 

Here , scoring 54 in 28 Balls against Australia during the 2003 WC.

Blignaut also denied India a Test series win in Zimbabwe by contributing with a 5 Wicket haul to  level the series. This was in 2001, 

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/india-tour-of-zimbabwe-2001-62307/zimbabwe-vs-india-2nd-test-63935/full-scorecard

Edited by rageaddict
3 minutes ago, Austin 3:!6 said:

Eddo Brandes was a very good swing bowler. He was Australian though but played for Zimbabwe.

Now he owns a tomato farm down-under

He's part of the Cricket folklore, esp what he has allegedly said to McGrath:

https://www.crictracker.com/5-epic-sledging-incidents-in-cricket-history/2/

"

The 1996 Singer World Series was contested in Sri Lanka between Australia, India, Sri Lanka and Zimbabwe. The first match on 26th of August at Colombo saw Australia completely rout Zimbabwe out as they defeated them by a big margin of 125 runs. But this is not the reason that game is remembered.

Australia plucked out Zimbabwe’s ninth wicket at 120 and in walked Eddo Brandes. The game was all but won by Australia but Eddo wasn’t going down wondering and he decided to play his shots. A few minutes later, Glenn McGrath, the Australian pacer, casually asked Eddo, ”Why are you so fat?”

Eddo Brandes, the Zimbabwean bowler, didn’t miss the opportunity and quickly replied, “Because every time I make love to your wife, she gives me a biscuit.” Even Glenn McGrath was stunned by that snorter of a reply by Eddo. Interestingly, McGrath wasn’t married at the time. He married his first wife Jane in 1999."

10 hours ago, rageaddict said:

I think there is a little confusion. I am sure the last ball bowled was to Robin Singh. The Non Striker was maybe Prasad or Ankola, not sure. 

Robin Swung at the ball which was down the leg, Non Striker Ran and Robin also had to run . 2 runs were need in 1 ball. Brandes hit the stumps at the non strikers end and Robin was dismissed. Just when all the drama was unfolding , Umpire called it wide and thus the match was a tie. 

Wow, what a memory! I fondly remember the match but not to this exacting detail! I watched it late in the night on my grandma's 15 inch black and white tv. Gavaskar and some other commie said Robin had been found wanting on the international stage and that the game was probably the end of the road for him. How he proved them wrong! From this game onwards, our ability to pull off right chases improved considerably, with Robin Singh being part of quite a few memorable chases like the Asia Cup final in Dhaka, the game in Paxtan where Rajesh Chauhan smacked a six off the much dreaded Saqlain Mushtaq to finish off the game, etc.