Pick Shreyas ahead of SKY/Ishan for the knockout matches

randomGuy

I agree he seems to be the weak link. His tackling of short balls is an issue. His ODI record is average so far. But he is too solid a batsman to be left out against quality bowling lineups in high pressure knockout World Cup matches. Also, for Indian conditions I feel he is the right pick

I thought there should be a thread supporting Iyer.

Shreyas should be a big NO, if we meet aus or sa in semis. Ishan because we need a leftie in middle order but i love sky. He is a damn good player. No fuss and always on the go. One thing you know…when he is in you no there will no tuk tuk. If i were indian coach i will use him top 4 to pump the rr. If he clicks we win.

I don't think he is getting dropped anyway. Both Kishan and SKY are not suited for that no. 4 role in which Shreyas has done well against good oppositions even away ODIs.

Just hope he gets a big score soon otherwise he will look like a clear weak link in the side.

Edited by Number

I respect Iyer's clutch temperament and think he's a decent player.  

BUT, he has very obvious short ball issues - and we are about to play SA on Sunday, where Jansen and Coetzee have been weaponized the short ball quite effectively this tournament.  And honestly, I think Ishan is better suited to handle it than Iyer in that game.  And if thats the case, then I'd just bring Kishan in for the SL game as well, so that he's got that first WC game under his belt.  

And not that it should matter that much, but Kishan has been really, really switched on as a substitute fielder these last few games.  I am liking where he seems to  be mentally - focused and giving his 100%.  Its a good sign.  

15 minutes ago, sandeep said:

I respect Iyer's clutch temperament and think he's a decent player.  

BUT, he has very obvious short ball issues - and we are about to play SA on Sunday, where Jansen and Coetzee have been weaponized the short ball quite effectively this tournament.  And honestly, I think Ishan is better suited to handle it than Iyer in that game.  And if thats the case, then I'd just bring Kishan in for the SL game as well, so that he's got that first WC game under his belt.  

And not that it should matter that much, but Kishan has been really, really switched on as a substitute fielder these last few games.  I am liking where he seems to  be mentally - focused and giving his 100%.  Its a good sign.  

Agree with you bro but Kishan has already made his WC debit. Played against Aus and Afg, in place of Gill.

6 minutes ago, deathmonger said:

Could we take a risk and replace Siraj with Hardik?

Issue is just 5 bowlers and never know when someone might be injured. My logic is that Siraj isn't doing particularly better compared to Hardik. This will be a very strong batting lineup.

if Hardik is fit, for semifinal I absolutely think we should do it.   Its a high scoring shootout type of game at that point, and I would want SKY in thereat #7.

2 minutes ago, sandeep said:

if Hardik is fit, for semifinal I absolutely think we should do it.   Its a high scoring shootout type of game at that point, and I would want SKY in thereat #7.

Batting upside is very high. Just scared if someone has a bad day or something on the bowling front, the likes of Kohli/Rohit will have to bowl.

39 minutes ago, deathmonger said:

Batting upside is very high. Just scared if someone has a bad day or something on the bowling front, the likes of Kohli/Rohit will have to bowl.

Hardik is third seamer as per you,but he himself won't be completing his quota

It will be rather 4 and 1/4 bowlers,hardik won't be bowling more than 3-4 overs at best

1 hour ago, sandeep said:

Being fit by definition should be that Hardik can bowl 10 overs.

If he cant do this, he shouldnt be in the XI.

1 hour ago, deathmonger said:

Issue is just 5 bowlers and never know when someone might be injured. My logic is that Siraj isn't doing particularly better compared to Hardik. This will be a very strong batting lineup.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/icc-cricket-world-cup-2023-hardik-pandya-unlikely-to-return-before-game-against-netherlands-1406475

Hardik might not be in XI till the final game.

1 hour ago, deathmonger said:

That would be suicidal, if Hardik breaks down well before his 10 overs.

We should stick with Iyer for now. He seems to be a better MO batsman than SKY and Kishan. Kishan is not really a MO batsman, he struggles massively to get any sort of timing when he bats in MO. SKY has struggled in ODIs and so far appears to only be suitable to bat when about 10-12 overs are remaining. We need a number 4 batsman and Iyer is the only viable option in the current squad. He needs to leave a few of the short balls. His instinctive reaction is to hit the pull shot, but he needs to be more judicious in when to execute it. 

5 hours ago, randomGuy said:

But he is too solid a batsman to be left out against quality bowling lineups in high pressure knockout World Cup matches.

There's no evidence for that as of now! You can also tell how well a player will do depending on their fielding, just keep an eye on that over the next few matches!