How lucky were Pakistan today or was the DLS outcome fair?

sage

In my opinion, the result was completely unfair. Yes, Zaman was striking it cleanly, but all NZ needed was one wicket and we have seen on countless occasions how such chases fizzle out when the in-form batsman gets out. Even after all this hitting, Pak had to get another 200 runs in less than 25 overs when match was called off. Imagine that. So Fakhar would have needed to get a double hundred at the same scoring pace that he was scoring at. While it is possible, as we all way, it is very unlikely.

ICC need to seriously reconsider DLS. DLS should be used to decide matches where result is fairly obvious. E.g. if Team A scored 250 (50 ov) and Team B has scored 230/2 (39 ov), award the match to Team B.

But in circumstances where the results are difficult to predict, the system should split the points. In the case of KO games, keep a reserve day at all times. If it rains on the reserve day too, then try to get a Super Over in to conclude the result. The two overs should just be squeezed in somehow even if it is raining.

Also, ICC should do a better job of using rain forecast to alter the playing times/ number of overs in order to get a fair game as much as possible. E.g. if you expect rain to arrive 5 hours after official match start time, then start with a shortened match of say 30 overs a side so that a fair match can be played. These days weather forecast has gotten so much better that you can use it to plan better.

People here are overreacting. Pakistan were falling behind till 17-18 overs. They sensed the rain so tried to score quickly in next 3 overs to get above DLS par score and still were at 160-1 in 21.3, that is just about staying in the game not running away while chasing 400.

Aus in Dharamshala were 190-1 in 22 overs and Marsh-Maxwell still to come and they couldn't manage 400. Pacing a 402 runs chase is a different thing altogether than getting above DLS par score in 4 overs. 

Pakistan rode their luck yesterday and even their hardcore fans will know it that they got lucky. Fakhar himself admitted that their whole team were praying for rain to not stop.:cantstop:

Against Sri Lanka , Pakistan needed 207 runs in last 25 overs with 8 wickets in hand. Pakistan chased it comfortably in the end with 10 balls to spare. So it isn't a confirmation that Pakistan was going to lose the match if it would continue from 25 overs mark. 

The thing is Pakistan kept taking risks and it paid off and hence they were ahead of the D/L score which declared them a Winner. Had Fakhar got dismissed playing those big shots just a few balls before rain came then Pakistan would be good 20-30 runs short of the D/L score.

Or consider 200/3 in 25 overs, Pakistan would be somewhere short of the D/L score by good 50-60 runs. 

Pakistan wiped off half the target in half of the overs while losing only one wicket, at that stage every Method or Analysis would pick them as the winner. 

Did they deserve it? Yes... absolutely.

Did they get lucky? Without a doubt.

I have seen so many teams fizzle away in a mega run chase after the fall of one wicket especially the main guy doing bulk of the scoring.. there's a reason why only once that type of target was chased down in cricket history. Maintaining 8 RPO is a herculean task for 50 over cricket. 

New Zealand were just a Zaman wicket away from 2 points yesterday but their rubbish attack couldn't help them.

5 minutes ago, the don said:

Pak chased 210 vs srl in the last 25 overs and this was a smaller ground, the bowling just as toothless and Fakhar in beast mode. No doubt the dl helped but still where were the wickets coming from? No one looked like taking one on that track.

If not for those Pathirana "5 wides" special gifts every two overs, even that game would have ended differently lol. NZ bowled poorly but would not have given you those many gifts..

11 minutes ago, Norman said:

If not for those Pathirana "5 wides" special gifts every two overs, even that game would have ended differently lol. NZ bowled poorly but would not have given you those many gifts..

Newzealand had no death bowling. I really didnt see any threat. Sodhi was worse than Wellalage. Yes the DL obviously helped but not a single wicket taking ball was bowled in the first 25 overs and Southee at the death would have travelled.

Don't know why Indian fans are so salty and insecure. FZ's knock deserved to be on the winning side, Pak were cruising, NZ had given up, and we know about the decades old mental edge. NZ don't have self belief that they can beat Pak in the big stage.

Had our golden boy Gill done what FZ had done yesterday, I know how our fans would have reacted. Learn to appreciate others, give due credit where due, and what we saw yesterday was greatness.

Yesterday's result also added a lot of intrigue to the tournament. Suddenly so many games assume importance, 3 teams in the hunt for the 4th SF spot and will go down to the wire. Apart from winning the cup I also want this tournament to be a resounding success, results like yesterday's help in that regard. 

Have to say Pakistanis are entertainers in these big tournaments, even on ICF where most pretend to hate or not care about the Pak team, look at the number of pages Pak match threads go to. Pak has entertained the crowd more than most other teams, even in losses they helped create history like the game against Afghans. That thriller against RSA, historical run chase against Lanka and that effort yesterday. Crowd gets its money's worth, we get entertained, what more can one ask for? Hate them, love them, but can't ignore them, I don't know whether it's by design or accident. ICC tournaments would be boring af without Pakistan, I know some of us sometimes have wet dreams about such a scenario, but nah, looking at just sporting pov, men in green are box office whether they win or lose. 

Hope Lankan bros add even more tadka to the WC by beating Kiwis. 

5 hours ago, Number said:

Funniest thing was NZ had a brief window of 4 overs to pull things back DLS-wise, when Pakistan innings restarted, but they bowled 2 overs to Sodhi out of those 4 overs and he managed to go for 32 runs in those 2 overs. If not Pakistan could fall behind the DLS. Big tactical mistake.

Not just that, playing with only 2 seamers on anything other than a minefield is a recipe for disaster. And this was a flat pitch with miniature boundaries. 

58 minutes ago, the don said:

Newzealand had no death bowling. I really didnt see any threat. Sodhi was worse than Wellalage. Yes the DL obviously helped but not a single wicket taking ball was bowled in the first 25 overs and Southee at the death would have travelled.

It doesn't work like that, mere bachay..

For example, paxtan were 230/3 in 30 overs while chasing 368 against Australia at this very same ground. None of the Aussie bowlers were looking remotely threatening. Dew had also set in. Now if it had rained at that time , everyone would have said "pak would have won it easily" , "Starc is worse than Pathirana" bla bla bla but the full game did happen and paxtan lost it comfortably by 62 runs.

I'm not taking any credit away by your batting performance yesterday but that doesn't mean you ignore basic logic as well.

30 minutes ago, Norman said:

It doesn't work like that, mere bachay..

For example, paxtan were 230/3 in 30 overs while chasing 368 against Australia at this very same ground. None of the Aussie bowlers were looking remotely threatening. Dew had also set in. Now if it had rained at that time , everyone would have said "pak would have won it easily" , "Starc is worse than Pathirana" bla bla bla but the full game did happen and paxtan lost it comfortably by 62 runs.

I'm not taking any credit away by your batting performance yesterday but that doesn't mean you ignore basic logic as well.

Sodhi isn't 20% the bowler Zampa is...  I'd have backed Pakistan all the way chasing 340 odd after second DLS even. 

402 would have been tight but a team with better match awareness would always keep looming rain threat in mind. 

NZ deserved to lose after bringing Sodhi after second rain break. 

No luck but poor Captaincy on show...  Pak cashed in on that. 

3 minutes ago, Lone Wolf said:

Sodhi isn't 20% the bowler Zampa is...  I'd have backed Pakistan all the way chasing 340 odd after second DLS even. 

402 would have been tight but a team with better match awareness would always keep looming rain threat in mind. 

NZ deserved to lose after bringing Sodhi after second rain break. 

No luck but poor Captaincy on show...  Pak cashed in on that. 

I mean Kane's captaincy was atrocious right through. They were scared of Fakhar. Fakhar scored 3 back to back centuries against NZ early this year. That scar was still there seemingly.

45 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Yesterday's result also added a lot of intrigue to the tournament. Suddenly so many games assume importance, 3 teams in the hunt for the 4th SF spot and will go down to the wire. Apart from winning the cup I also want this tournament to be a resounding success, results like yesterday's help in that regard. 

Have to say Pakistanis are entertainers in these big tournaments, even on ICF where most pretend to hate or not care about the Pak team, look at the number of pages Pak match threads go to. Pak has entertained the crowd more than most other teams, even in losses they helped create history like the game against Afghans. That thriller against RSA, historical run chase against Lanka and that effort yesterday. Crowd gets its money's worth, we get entertained, what more can one ask for? Hate them, love them, but can't ignore them, I don't know whether it's by design or accident. ICC tournaments would be boring af without Pakistan, I know some of us sometimes have wet dreams about such a scenario, but nah, looking at just sporting pov, men in green are box office whether they win or lose. 

Hope Lankan bros add even more tadka to the WC by beating Kiwis. 

So happy seeing these Smug kiwis & Poms being put into their place.  

I have always preferred Aussies over them. 

Lankan bros must have their confidence shattered after a humiliation...  Kiwis usually feast on the weak.  They have never lost to minnows for a reason. 

1 minute ago, vvvslaxman said:

I mean Kane's captaincy was atrocious right through. They were scared of Fakhar. Fakhar scored 3 back to back centuries against NZ early this year. That scar was still there seemingly.

NZ is always scared of Pakistan...  The mental hold is something else.   They will always find a reason to lose even against atrocious Pak sides.