England and false bravado

This English team is nowhere close to the Aussie champion team . Hayden and gilchrist were playing bazball with champion bowlers to back it up . 

this English team plays borderline crazy . Yes looks good when it comes off but most times , it has worked against pak etc . Facing India in India , they have put up some decent totals but they could have been more challenging with just conventional good cricket . India has inexperience and injuries in batting lineup coupled with elephant kohli prolonged absence. They had a great chance to pin India down but playing reverse sweep off bumrah is just showing off stupidity . 

not impressed with England . Bazball works if flat pitches and poor bowling teams . Won’t work against Aussies and India  ( if India in full strength ) 

31 minutes ago, mani sha said:

Hayden and gilchrist were playing bazball with champion bowlers to back it up . 

Let's not give the Aussies that much credit, the original assault from what I remember started under WI - Roy Fredericks, Lloyd, Greenidge & of course Viv. Oz played on super flat surfaces during their peak. Which of course kinda elevates the impact of McWarne :smokin:

i dont understand why we cant acknowledge that Bazball is clearly working for them,the evidence is overwhelming.even the first test victory is only due to Bazball.Guys like Crawley,Pope and duckett dont have the skill to grind out a big score and hence bazball gives them the freedom to get as much as they can without fear of losing their spot.it has worked for them them but also they have lost some tests due to their reckless batting.

Edited by cowboysfan
2 minutes ago, cowboysfan said:

i dont understand why we cant acknowledge that Bazball is clearly working for them,the evidence is overwhelming

No what "Bassball" fans don't understand is that it works for Eng -

(a) because they had extremely poor results prior to this approach, it's novel/new so worked better than some expected (b) it's not sustainable because eventually Eng will revert to their mean because of the lack of quality in their ranks!

Who's gonna replace Anders in one year, Stokes in 2 years, Root in 3 years?

More importantly other teams will play jut the same against each other - Ind/Oz or Ind/SA, then Oz/Pak or Oz/WI was traditional cricket after this BS term came to be - through the hapless deluded English test fans who had nothing to cheer for almost 2 years prior to Stokes' reinvention of wheel :laugh:

We'll revert to the mean, median, or whatever you want to call it after they start falling more on their face - the only thing I'll concede is that it's entertaining for sure!

8 minutes ago, R!TTER said:

(a) because they had extremely poor results prior to this approach, it's novel/new so worked better than some expected (b) it's not sustainable because eventually Eng will revert to their mean because of the lack of quality in their ranks!

More importantly other teams will play jut the same against each other - Ind/Oz or Ind/SA, then Oz/Pak or Oz/WI was traditional cricket after this BS term came to be - through the hapless deluded English test fans who had nothing to cheer for almost 2 years prior to Stokes' reinvention of wheel :laugh:

We'll revert to the mean, median, or whatever you want to call it after they start falling more on their face - the only thing I'll concede is that it's entertaining for sure!

Bazball doesnt mean you dont need good bowlers,you still need to take 20 wickets but i would argue that they can replace batsmen easily and continue with Bazball tactics for the simple reason that Crawley,pope and even duckett are not great batsmen and were all under severe strain of getting dropped before bazball.

And like many have said before today, including me, the way England is playing is to hide some of their glaring deficiencies especially in batting. Crawley/Duckett both had questionable defense this is why their approach against the new ball works, kind of. Then Pope's a poor play or spin, even accounting for his chancy near double in the first test, he always looks uncomfortable against Kuldeep. Root/Bairstow have looked really poor in India. Stokes had some luck but generally he's played well & according to the situation, Foakes is a no show in terms of his batting! Their bowling? They are playing with at best 1.5-2.5 bowlers depending on how you rate their spinners, I'm mildly amazed by their overall results but only mildly because crushing opponents with scoreboard pressure is a ~150 years old tactic :om:

Edited by R!TTER
27 minutes ago, cowboysfan said:

i dont understand why we cant acknowledge that Bazball is clearly working for them,the evidence is overwhelming.even the first test victory is only due to Bazball.Guys like Crawley,Pope and duckett dont have the skill to grind out a big score and hence bazball gives them the freedom to get as much as they can without fear of losing their spot.it has worked for them them but also they have lost some tests due to their reckless batting.

Yes, that’s I felt in first two tests , they won and came close only because of aggressive batting. What is wrong is tactics of Bairstow, Stokes and esp Root. They can grind it out when needed. Root got out twice consecutively with brain farts. What th. Is the ATG doing playing like that. But otherwise 3 batters are putting runs on board with aggressive batting. Others should play around grinding. There was no need for Stokes to slog sweep that ball from Jadeja. Unimpressed with the 3 batters. Bairstow at least got a wonder ball first up from our bite size Khazana Kuldeep

Bazball is ghetto ass cricket and doomed to fail in the long term.  Sure, they will win some matches in thrilling style against Sri Lanka, Pak and other minnows; but their lack of technique will doom them over the long run against quality sides.

1 hour ago, R!TTER said:

Anderson replacement robinson. Root replacement.. brook. Stokes is a tough one. They should poach someone from Nz/SA again 

3 minutes ago, Serpico said:

Anderson replacement robinson. Root replacement.. brook. Stokes is a tough one. They should poach someone from Nz/SA again 

Stokes as a captain will be missed. He has an average bowling attack. He made things happen just by having right field set. Bit like how mSD does in IPL. May be Stokes learnt from MSD !!:hatsoff: @velu

1 hour ago, cowboysfan said:

Bazball doesnt mean you dont need good bowlers,you still need to take 20 wickets but i would argue that they can replace batsmen easily and continue with Bazball tactics for the simple reason that Crawley,pope and even duckett are not great batsmen and were all under severe strain of getting dropped before bazball.

Nah Alex Lees opened in initial phase of BazBall when they swept Kiwis at home & smashed India in Birmingham. 

Duckett was brought in Pakistan & he was super hit...  Along with Brooks. 

Padosis are in a world of pain this year as well as Poms will tour Pak again. 

The reason why they won a test and pushed us so hard so far is bazball, those innings from Pope and Duckett, Crawley form... the freedom it gives them... they're up against two all time great spin bowlers and giving them a tough time. It is working.

They need to drop Bairstow who failed in Ashes & now here too.  Probably past his peak  Or Purple patch. 

I think with Australia in looming transition phase BaZ and Stokes can surprise down under...  Unless Aus reinforces in time. 

They will dominate other test sides like NZ Pak SL SA both home and away which is pretty good actually. 

1 hour ago, Serpico said:

robinson can be better than anderson at same stages of their careers (not talking about peak andie). Brook will not be as good as Root IMO, but should still be a solid replacement. as for ARs, they have several to poach from: WI, NZ, SA, Pak, even Aus, etc

Well I am actually thank full for Bazball , without which we would have never seen debut for sarfaraz , patidar , jurel .. and potentially paddikal 

and also firing up gill and jaiswal .. 

so please continue with Bazball so we can make Indian cricket better . 

7 hours ago, Lone Wolf said:

They need to drop Bairstow who failed in Ashes & now here too.  Probably past his peak  Or Purple patch. 

I think with Australia in looming transition phase BaZ and Stokes can surprise down under...  Unless Aus reinforces in time. 

They will dominate other test sides like NZ Pak SL SA both home and away which is pretty good actually. 

Aus can rebuild soon enough, if they select the right players for right positions.

Smith is clearly declined, but still good. ditto for khawaja. mitch marsh and travball are inconsistent, but at least one of them will counterattack.

that leaves 3 more people in the top 7 that need to be fixed. Labu should be dropped, and maybe so should Green. Likewise, Carey should be dropped for a better batter-keeper. bowling is mostly fine, although proper backups are needed