Devdutt Padikkal vs Rajat Patidar for #3?

On 3/2/2024 at 10:13 PM, Vijy said:

Baba aparajith has a terrible FC record, and is too slow in LOIs. Kunnumal is a 1-season wonder. look at his debut season vs next season.

only batter from south that I do want to see more of is indrajit

Sai Sudarshan

8 hours ago, Nikhil_cric said:

Doesn't matter in red ball cricket imo. He's not a T20 player, yet. 

But in the longer formats , he's a long term #3

Some no. 3 he is. can't even handle mumbai's "pace" attack

17 hours ago, Vijy said:

Some no. 3 he is. can't even handle mumbai's "pace" attack

Thats a one off match. He's technically pretty sound and quite the timer of the ball - second only to Gill. He will definitely come good. 

I have relatively high hopes on Padikkal especially in longer formats. Poor guy was picked once in T20s, then was dropped after a couple of games even after performing okayishly. 

He seems to have a good head on his shoulders and the right temperament as well from the few times I saw him bat in the IPL. 

On 3/5/2024 at 1:07 PM, Nikhil_cric said:

Thats a one off match. He's technically pretty sound and quite the timer of the ball - second only to Gill. He will definitely come good. 

Don't know but he seems better than poorest man's Dhawan,paddi

41 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

Patidar seemed a nervous wreck , it’ll be hard for him to get back 

yeah,too much nerves and it affected his footwork but i think he has enough talent to stick around in the Indian middle order.

1 hour ago, vvvslaxman said:

Padikkal plays his game completely against norm. May be that is his style. Sitting on the backfoot. That worked until it didn't.

His batting style looks similar to Shan Masood.  Similar height too.  LOL.  Both of them use limited foot work but are wristy enough to negate the turn.  (From what i observed).  

34 minutes ago, cowboysfan said:

yeah,too much nerves and it affected his footwork but i think he has enough talent to stick around in the Indian middle order.

I don't think so. He is not even the best batter in MP right now IMO

Neither patidar nor padikkal were in consideration for the no.3 slot.  After pujara, it's been Gill all the way.   Last 3-4 good innings from gill hv pretty much sealed his spot.   The question is about no. 4 slot.  Once Kohli returns, Padikkal will hv to make way.  Good thing is now we hv a back up.  Thread title needs to be updated to '#4'

On 3/2/2024 at 10:05 PM, Vijy said:

that's why I asked who is there from all of south? I am aware what states are there. I grew up primarily in S. India (albeit long ago)

p.s. I listed padikkal, who is not from TN.

Baba Indrajith has been a solid performer for seasons, pity that he has always been overlooked.

Ricky Bhui, Rohan Kunnummal, N Jagadeesan are other consistent performers so far. Not too flamboyant, but they had been steady performer throughout. 

For Rohan, yes, his form took a dip post his golden season. But he is playing some handy scores all across the domestic formats. I am excluding Pradosh Ranjan as he is talented but would wait for one more season.

17 minutes ago, Vijy said:

I don't think so. He is not even the best batter in MP right now IMO

Actually he is.

MP as a cricket team is utterly mediocre all throughout. Post retirement of legends like Devendra Bundela, JP Yadav & Amay Khurasiya...MP is churning mediocre cricketers at best. Patidar is actually best of the lot.

Himanshu Mantri & Yash Dubey are barely decent. At level of Vishnu Vinod or Sachin Babu type cricketers. V Iyer is on a steep decline.