West Indies legend Ian Bishop apologizes for misguided praise of Virat Kohli’s slow knock against Rajasthan Royals

West Indies legend Ian Bishop apologizes for misguided praise of Virat Kohli’s slow knock against Rajasthan Royals

Virat-vs-RR.webp

Legendary West Indies fast bowler Ian Bishop admitted that he got carried away while praising Virat Kohli for his hundred in IPL 2024 match against Rajasthan Royals in Jaipur. Kohli was slammed for his strike rate as he faced 72 balls to accumulate 113 runs. RCB posted 183/3 in 20 overs. Rajasthan won the game by 6 wickets, with Jos Buttler scoring a hundred. The match finished in 19.1 overs.

Kohli looked comfortable but he didn’t get support from other batters in the middle and death overs of the innings, which forced him to play the anchor’s role.

Bishop was in the commentary box when he hyped the Kohli’s knock.

The Windies legend was called out by fans on social media for his remarks on the leading run-scorer in the Indian Premier League.

A fan wrote on X,”@irbishi said just 39 deliveries. After virat completed his 50 someone needs to tell him ipl is a 20 over tournament not 50 I know they are paying you to praise big plyrs but still call what it is 39 ball 50 on a batting track is a joke.”

Bishop accepted his mistake.

“Believe you me, I am very aware of what batting in this format entails. I was inaccurate in my choice of words. That’s on me. I am not the devil,,,,,,not yet. But thanks for your feedback. It’s appreciated,” Bishop replied.

Another fan wrote, “Bish says on air kohli completed his fifty in just 39 balls. You disappointed me @irbishi.”

The legendary seamer said sorry.

“I take an “L” on that one. I am very aware of what T20 batting entails, and my insertion of that word was inaccurate. My choice of words and language in keeping with the format of the game needs to be more accurate and it will be going forward. Apologies,” he wrote.

Kohli’s century was trumped by Jos Buttler’s ton as the RR won the fourth consecutive game in the 17th season. RCB have lost four matches while winning just one.

Just now, rollingstoned said:

Bish is held to high standards so behavior that is expected of the usual cheerleading gallery of DD, Murali Karthik, etc is not expected of him. 

Yes I get that. But a slip of tongue/ genuine mistake or even an opinion, calls for a public apology? 

We ought to treat IPL as entertainment. A 60-70 year old legend of the game ( I assume) apologising to a bunch of people over cricketing opinions? That’s a stretch. 

20 minutes ago, Mariyam said:

Yes I get that. But a slip of tongue/ genuine mistake or even an opinion, calls for a public apology? 

We ought to treat IPL as entertainment. A 60-70 year old legend of the game ( I assume) apologising to a bunch of people over cricketing opinions? That’s a stretch. 

It wasn't slip of tongue, he knew what he was saying. Just had to go with the flow on air which is why he is clarifying. Bish only retired in the 90s do isn't that old. 

We ought to but ipl has ramifications beyond just some timepass pyjama cricket which is why these debates happen. It's not at hostile as it appears. 

57 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Best commentator right now. He actually does research, puts effort, doesn't take the fans for fools. 

Most of the fans ARE fools though. this is why the likes of DK, Murali Kartik, Boggles (Bhogle), etc flourish. mediocrity breeds even greater mediocrity.

2 hours ago, Mariyam said:

You don't go down if you apologize... Also he didn't apologize.. he said he was wrong or mistaken.. i

3 hours ago, vice said:

Bish is good.  I was surprised Bish was saying that when i was watching it live.  50 off JUST 39 deliveries.  kudos to him

That’s because Kohli usually makes 50 of 40 deliveries, so he was understandably excited that he got there quicker.

That’s the real reason, Bish just can’t say it.

59 minutes ago, Suhaan said:

Yes it was a brute sarchasm,Bishop isn't a fool like bald Karthik,deepdas , jhopda ,irsha

Yeah, it was definitely partly tongue-in-cheek, not the kind of cringey apologies the above commentators deliver

Edited by Vijy

What happened to Danny Morrison? Why don't we see him doing IPL commentary these days? Was he removed or he voluntarily retired from doing commentary in every league?

Edited by Tillu

39 minutes ago, Tillu said:

What happened to Danny Morrison? Why don't we see him doing IPL commentary these days? Was he removed or he voluntarily retired from doing commentary in every league?

Not part of the ipl team for some reason. He is still commentating in other leagues. 

14 hours ago, Mariyam said:

Does this require an apology?

Bishop takes great pride in his analysis of anything related to the game of cricket. 

He is deeply knowledgeable, fair to all teams and manages to maintain an almost ideal blend of enthusiasm and criticism. 

So, it seems to be a case of getting his analysis right,  with the benefit of hindsight, masked in an apology. 

Edited by express bowling

To be fair to Bishop tough to maintain sanity when surrounded by Murali Karthik, Gavaskar, Deep Dasgupta etc. Indians almost always bring down quality in whichever field they venture into (especially talking about cricket/sports), can't blame our people also because average IQ is 76, then we add in qualities in jugaad, fake pride, hero worship, servitude, lack of self respect etc.

Surround Bishop with quality guys like Athers, Hussain, Clarke, Gilly and he will be at his best. 

Edited by Gollum