“Even if after scoring 900 runs in last year’s IPL, I am not selected for the T20 World Cup…” Shubman Gill opines on the worst-case scenario

rollingstoned

“Even if after scoring 900 runs in last year’s IPL, I am not selected for the T20 World Cup…” Shubman Gill opines on the worst-case scenario

Shubman Gill Shubman Gill is one of the top contenders for the ICC T20 World Cup 2024.

Shubman Gill is one of the top contenders for the ICC T20 World Cup 2024. However, he may travel to the West Indies and the USA as a reserve opener, considering the management would prefer captain Rohit Sharma and Yashasvi Jaiswal over him as openers. 

Gill was leading the race, but Jaiswal’s sensational hundred against Mumbai Indians has put the southpaw in the driver’s seat. With Rohit being the captain, he will definitely start for the team.

The Gujarat Titans captain is ready for any possible outcome. Speaking to Sports Tak, the right-handed opener opined on his selection. He was asked his reaction if the selectors decided to go without him.

“Even if after scoring 900 runs in the last year’s IPL, I am not selected for the T20 World Cup, I would sit at home and cheer for the team,” Shubman Gill said. 

The added responsibility of leading the franchise has impacted Gill’s batting, with only Sai Sudharsan scoring runs along with the skipper. The batting department has failed to get going, and Shubman is forced to play according to the situation and conditions as he is the leader.

Ajit Agarkar-led selection committee will meet Rohit Sharma in Delhi on April 27 to finalize the squad. The Indian captain will be in the national capital for the IPL 2024 match between Delhi Capitals and Mumbai Indians.

The focus will be on the wicket-keeper’s slot, spinners and pacers. 

What Gill is probably implying is that even after scoring close to 900 runs, he wasn't picked last time so he would not be disappointed if he is not picked this time as he does not have many runs under his belt. He would cheer for the team. 

Edited by zen

Gill used to be flashy. But after test series he became tempered again. So he cannot switch back to T20 immediately. Jaiswal tried to switch back. But it resulted in failures. It is hard to bat differently in different format. Only Travis head does it successfully. KOhli does it. The thing Kohli is just semi aggressive. Not brutally aggressive.  I won't totally write him off. Him and Ruturaj are still good ODI ptoentials

5 hours ago, vvvslaxman said:

Gill used to be flashy. But after test series he became tempered again. So he cannot switch back to T20 immediately. Jaiswal tried to switch back. But it resulted in failures. It is hard to bat differently in different format. Only Travis head does it successfully. KOhli does it. The thing Kohli is just semi aggressive. Not brutally aggressive.  I won't totally write him off. Him and Ruturaj are still good ODI ptoentials

Travball will play similarly across formats. his is measured, but powerful, aggression.