Rohit Sharma Appreciation Squad

Did you even watch those matches in West Indies? First watch then talk.

In SA odis, no batsman did anything.

Let me tell you, there isn't a single batsman who wont struggle on bowling friendly tracks especially if a bowler is Steyn. There is a reason we have never done well in SA in ODIs.

Even Dravid has a mediocre record there.

Yeah I watched them. I stand by my point. He is mindblowing in SC(minus Lanka), average to below average outside SC.

He is good while scoring runs if we are batting first. Need to finish off in the second innings while chasing. He just seems to choke when there is pressure. I want to him to score like what kohli does when we are chasing. He just doesnt give his wicket once he passes hundred. He should have finished the first match against SA got out after scoring 150. He did improve his average which is good to see,

His airy fairy cricket may suit one dayer with a bit of luck. But in tests with crowded slips he cannot take the same kind of risks. That is where his defense is found wanting. Often times he completely misreads the line.

I don't understand I thought he plays the ball late. For someone playing a ball late to miss the line is bad.

His airy fairy cricket may suit one dayer with a bit of luck. But in tests with crowded slips he cannot take the same kind of risks. That is where his defense is found wanting. Often times he completely misreads the line.

Are you even watching the games? to construct an innings with calculated hitting and that too against an inform but top of the line bowling attack and you are still not impressed....Lol

Nothing risky or airy fairly with the way he placed his innings......You take on odd dismissal against a bowler considered best of this generation,to symbolize his entire career :facepalm:

Yeah I watched them. I stand by my point. He is mindblowing in SC(minus Lanka), average to below average outside SC.

you havent said they were like SC, if you had watched them. They were a few of the toughest pitches I have seen to bat on., especially, in Trinidad carrying a lot of seam movement and uneven bounce and were rather unfavorable for openers. Apart from 2 big innings of 300, all other innings struggled to cross 200.

:banghead: what he said is true.. This guy is so inconsistent :facepalm:

Guys, lets not let our expectations and emotions cloud judgement like little girls or green ghetto-ites.  Last 18 games, averaging 60+.  Last few scores are 171, 15, 0, 57*, 7, 64, 16, 137, 34....Looks pretty consistent - Can't expect him to score 100s everytime.  I would say he's made a strong case as the all-world ODI opener at the moment.  Show me an opener that has better numbers?  

Actually, checked out the stats myself -  

Top Openers (Home and away) - last 2 years

Top Openers (excluding home) - last 2 years

Rohit is right up there in both, Thirimane edges him with a fractionally better average in Away stats but daylight separates them in terms of batting ability and who you'd rather have opening for your team.  

For all of "talunt's" struggles in whites, he's really under-appreciated in ODIs.

Edited by sandeep
Edited stats to exclude UAE, Kenya, Canada etc

Guys, lets not let our expectations and emotions cloud judgement like little girls or green ghetto-ites.  Last 18 games, averaging 60+.  Last few scores are 171, 15, 0, 57*, 7, 64, 16, 137, 34....Looks pretty consistent - Can't expect him to score 100s everytime.  I would say he's made a strong case as the all-world ODI opener at the moment.  Show me an opener that has better numbers?  

Actually, checked out the stats myself -  

Top Openers (Home and away) - last 2 years

Top Openers (excluding home) - last 2 years

Rohit is right up there in both, Thirimane edges him with a fractionally better average in Away stats but daylight separates them in terms of batting ability and who you'd rather have opening for your team.  

For all of "talunt's" struggles in whites, he's really under-appreciated in ODIs.

Yes, him and Virat are the best ODI batsmen at the moment in the Indian team.

Many people on this forum seem to lack perspective and unable to distinguish between formats.

Calling him leech in the T20/ODI context is ridiculous. Expecting the test team to bend over backwards to accomodate him is also ridiculous.

Rohit took years to get going in ODI's. So many people were giving him chit after 80 ODI innings averaged 28. 60 innings later career average is 42. In that phase it's alot higher. He took a while but eventually came good once he started opening. Maybe he can do something similar in tests.

yeah sure, he may have to play 100 tests to do that.

Oh God..... Just when I have won the debate with the current generation as to how good rohit is.....I have to face the younger ignorant generation now who will pull stats and prove irrelevant stats as to how India lost when he performed and call him selfish :facepalm:

thanks dhoni

Rohit took years to get going in ODI's. So many people were giving him chit after 80 ODI innings averaged 28. 60 innings later career average is 42. In that phase it's alot higher. He took a while but eventually came good once he started opening. Maybe he can do something similar in tests.

The change is not in Rohit , but rather his batting position . Hes still a 28 Avg player down the order .