Parthiv Patel to join India squad as back-up for Dhoni

Mosher

Rethinking the selection process, I have to say that the selectors have balanced some good picks with some questionable picks. It is their job to do a good job so I will focus on the questionable picks. 

When it comes to major tournaments such as ICC and multi-team events - selecting the best players based on current form and/or ability to perform under pressure should be the priority. These type of events are not necessarily good to just try out youngsters / greenhorns. Youngsters (along with others on the bench) should / can be tried out in a bi-lateral type of series such as the recent one vs. SL. 

So,

• 1st the key question is probably not whether a youngster / greenhorn should have been chosen, but is Parthiv the best option. Like many I believe that there may be other wkt-batsmen who could have been utilized more efficiently down the order. However, Pathiv may never get a chance to play
  • 2nd questionable decision could be selecting Bhuvi. I am not too sure about his current form. It appears as if Shami could be back for the more important WT20. However, Shami is, at this point, untested too if I am not wrong  
  • 3rd Negi, a greenhorn, is selected for both AC and WT20 but unfortunately was never tried vs SL 
  • 4th Yuvraj does not appear to be as well oiled with the bat as we would have liked so Ind missed the opportunity to get him back in to match winning form by not making him bat higher up vs SL 

Also T20 is about playing aggressive cricket whether batting or bowling, so when it comes to the approach, I find T20 to be closer to Tests than ODIs. When a team is bowling, at least 80% of the time it should be looking to pick up wkts. As we know, a bowler can bowl 4 good balls, but 2 bad balls could equal 2 boundaries so at least 8 runs. Therefore, like in tests, it is important to look for wkts most of the time rather than just primarily trying to restrict the opposition, which will backfire vs teams with in-form players who can change the game in 3-4 overs.  

It appears that the selection and captaincy have not coordinated properly. Some of the picks for two major tournaments appear not to be based on current form. Despite having youngsters who were to also play in both AC and WT20, they were not tried in the bi-lateral series. If some of these players were not tried, not given opportunity to bat higher up, etc. does it mean that the captain has less confidence in their current form (action speaks louder than words)? If so then again it could signal that they may necessarily not be the best options. Now if for some reason these players were straight away asked to come in in an important game and expected to perform at their best, it could get difficult for them. Hopefully (again banking on hope), these players would be able to deliver if required to do so. 

Edited by rett

Some selections make us  :banghead: :banghead:

Parthiv is a bad 20-20 player and can only open the batting to even survive in an IPL team, and everybody and their dog knows India's top order is packed and there's no way Parthiv can be fit in there.

D.Karthik, N.Ojha and W.Saha are other keeper-batsmen and all of them are used to playing in the middle order. I don't think all of them are in bad form.

Other option was to compromise a bit on the keeping and go for a batsman who can keep, like Uthappa. May be it's risky considering there'd be lot of spin bowling.

Parthiv is a terrible keeper. Naman OJha would have been a better choice or Samson.

Parthiv was selected because he did ok in SMA trophy recently. But this a stupid selection. Are there no young WK batsman in India? Samson is not in good form. How about giving some youngster like Rishabh Pant a chance?

How is Samson not in good form. He scored 3 50s in SMA trophy scoring 267 runs at 33 with AN SR of 123.

Wriddhiman Saha would have been a much better option. I don't get the obsession with Parthiv Patel. Dinesh Karthik single handedly cost us the Asia Cup last time so at least it wasn't him. MSD as a batsman is easily replaced in T20I....for some reason he's never really got going in the international T20 format. However, as an overall package(keeping, LOI captaincy) he will be missed. I doubt the injury is very serious. At worst he'll miss the Asia Cup.

Wriddhiman Saha would have been a much better option. I don't get the obsession with Parthiv Patel. Dinesh Karthik single handedly cost us the Asia Cup last time so at least it wasn't him. MSD as a batsman is easily replaced in T20I....for some reason he's never really got going in the international T20 format. However, as an overall package(keeping, LOI captaincy) he will be missed. I doubt the injury is very serious. At worst he'll miss the Asia Cup

Wriddhiman Saha has SR  of 134 and average of 26 in the IPL. Better keeper than Parthiv . Usually bats in the middle order.

http://www.cricbuzz.com/profiles/1465/wriddhiman-saha

Definitely a better choice than Parthiv although not the ideal one.

Why no Samson? He averaged 33 at an SR of 123 in SMA trophy. He can bat in middle order. PP cant bat anywhere other than opening.

I know that patel has been opening most part of his career.. but as I am an opener in my clubs.. I believe opener is some body who gets a lot of batting and as a result he becomes a pretty good batsman specially against fast bowlers.

one more strong belief I have is that batting against Spinners is not a difficult Job Specially for INDIAN Batsman.. we face all kind of spinners on our spinning tracks and akhara's and khadda's .. even batta bowlers too..recently a batta bowler or a bowler who throws got a few wickets...

I feel it is wrong to believe that an opener cannot do well at no 5 or no 6.

I have seen many no 6 batsman in international cricket who are all rounders and are good hard hitters but they are controlled by good talented bowlers like RABADA/Boomrah/malinga...

example rabada made dhoni look like a fool recently in one of the ODI .. boomrah also made a few of Australian batsman look silly..malinga has been doing this quite a times.. even uvraj has looked clueless against many fast bowlers at critical times.

patel hooks well ..as good as Rohit Sharma and plays spinners very well..he may not be a hard hitter like uvraj or Hardik pandya but I seriously consider Parthiv's batting as Rare talent.. yes I don't like him being so SMALL and hence his keeping is not that impressive specially against fast bowlers.

Not a big issue if Dhoni stays out for only in 1 match or 2..Should be good test for Kohli.

Team management is also not thiniking too much about it..Parthiv reached today.Didnt take part in nets.So,I think he will be picked only for keeping and batting wont be big issue.Parthiv is good in opening while powerplay is on to pierce the gap and can hit good 20-30 runs most..But looking at the batting line up we have,Parthiv should be sent after Ashwin if needed.