Krunal Pandya

puneet28

On 5/15/2016 at 3:28 PM, maniac said:

cant give everyone a shot at once, we need to figure out the pecking order

I am basing this solely on IPL ...I am sure there are a lot of domestic players who unfortunately might have had a bad/poor IPL season but they can't be written of either after all the hard yards they have put in.

so tell me is Krunal such a standout performer that he can leapfrog everyone here???

Based on playing on sporting wkts, this is how the slots are for me, it could change with time:

* Rohit

* Rahane 

* Kohli

* Panday (on potential shown in ODIs) 

* Rahul (wk)

* Y Pathan (6 hitter) / H Pan (6 hitter + pace)

* K Pan (spin + bat + 6 hitter)

* Mishra (spin) 

* Shami (pace + death bowling)

* Bumrah (accuracy + death bowling) 

* Nehra (left arm pace option, wkt taker in PP) 

For the "spin + bat" option, K Pan appears to be the best potential talent atm esp for his ability to win games on his own 

Edited by rett

3 hours ago, sourab10forever said:

I think he is the only Indian all-rounder in the recent past who is somewhat equal in both bat and ball.

So is Ravindra Jadeja. He is equal at bowling and batting. Equally rubbish at both.

4 minutes ago, G_B_ said:

Jadeja > Krunal with ball

Krunal > Jadeja with bat

Yeah...Jadeja is a bowling all-rounder.....ok at no.8 and totally out of place at no.7.

Krunal, Hardik, Yusuf, Binny and Hooda can be considered big hitting batting allrounders.  Axar has the potential to hit big but has not developed yet.

Don't know what Negi is.

27 minutes ago, rett said:

Based on playing on sporting wkts, this is how the slots are for me, it could change with time:

* Rohit

* Rahane

* Kohli

* Panday (on potential shown in ODIs) 

* Rahul (wk)

* Y Pathan (6 hitter)

* K Pan (spin + bat + 6 hitter)

* Mishra (spin) 

* Shami (pace + death bowling)

* Bumrah (accuracy + death bowling) 

* Nehra (left arm pace option, wkt taker in PP) 

For the "spin + bat" option, K Pan appears to be the best potential talent atm esp for his ability to win games on his own. If someone who can bowl pace is required H Pan is a decent option too esp if his bowling improves 

It would be a much better T20I team based on current ability and appropriate roles.   Just not sure about Pandey.  I would keep Hardik as a backup for seaming tracks.

Unfortunately....lots of out of form and declining big names , often not suitable to the appropriate roles, are always included.

Edited by express bowling

Below is a table showing batting performances of selected players who perform the 6 hitter or bat and bowl / wk + 6 hitter role for their teams: 

Y Pat and K Pan have performed brilliantly so far!

# Player Avg SR Avg*SR
1 Y Pat 133 166 21945
2 K Pan 47 193 8973
3 Morris 43 183 7933
4 Rahul 55 143 7918
5 Braithwaite 18 248 4469
6 Pollard 28 149 4210
7 Perera 21 161 3401
8 Russell 21 157 3338
9 Buttler 22 145 3221
10 Watson 15 154 2334
Edited by rett

12 hours ago, express bowling said:

You should demarcate between pointing out the potential of a player and hype.

The journey of a young cricketer, with above average potential, is rarely a linear one to success.  Apart from the talent to succeed in international cricket, there are many other qualities required to become an ultimate success. Like temperament, focus, will to work hard, cricketing brain, ability to learn from mistakes, remaining fit, hunger for success   etc.

Even when some or all these qualities are present , players usually have to go through a development process. Our domestic cricket is such that competition is very low and there are too many state teams filled with mediocre players.  This results in semi-developed players representing team India and improving as they play international cricket, provided the qualities discussed above are present.  

Usually, a dip comes in the 2nd season as a successful player is analyzed and his shortcomings found out. Some players have the ability to work hard and overcome this while others don't.  

Different players have different maturity levels and learning speeds too. 

In a nut-shell....once a talent is identified it does not mean that he is hyped....it is just the identification of talent and nothing more.  He may or maynot succeed because of the reasons discussed above and more players with potential fail and only a few come out winners.  

Also....players with potential have to be backed hard and given the proper time , support as well as coaching to develop based on their type.....immediate success is very very rare and it often takes 3 to 5 years.

Your analysis seems to be very thoughtful and very detailed. But i am surprised you missed out Karun Nair....For me, he stands ahead of above mentioned names in the pecking order

He has quite a few back to back good ranji tournaments....

He is very experienced domestic player.

Equally good player of pace bowling and spin bowling.

He has played good innings for delhi this year IPL...

He has proved it in various formats and he should rightly ahead of above mentioned names...He is more in rahana mode and can be a successful Test and one day player

I know you did your analysis on IPL performances ...... but looking at bigger picture manish pandey and Karun stays ahead of other lot

I am surprised Iyer batting gone for dogs and to certain extent i was expecting that as his performance in A tours has been down as well.....i think he might be little tensed with big stages but that will go away with experience....<Yeah..i know he has done decently well in last year IPL)

If we are talking about an all rounder replacement who bats at # 7, the question of pecking order doesn't comes... I mean, are you going to select Karun Nair etc. To play at # 7. Does he bowls too?

There's no contest between K-Pan & Jaddu... Jaddu is not a match winner. He needs favourable conditions to do well.. In formats in which you need hitters who can bowl should be selected and not bowlers who can occasionally hit...

Edited by asterix

On 5/16/2016 at 1:06 PM, gakgupta said:

Your analysis seems to be very thoughtful and very detailed. But i am surprised you missed out Karun Nair....For me, he stands ahead of above mentioned names in the pecking order

The reason why I have not mentioned Karun Nair is because I have not seen him enough to form a clear opinion. Many people say that he is very good.

Furthermore, Nair would come in the picture when we are talking about introducing an upper-middle order good batsman. Most of the discussion here has been about lower-middle order big hitters who can bowl too and wicketkeeper batsmen.

Edited by express bowling

We r lucky that we have got two quality all rounder in pandya bros, pathan bros were a srs waste of talent i hope this doesnt happen with both of them

Lets not hype krunal like we hyped hardik coz we dnt have patience n we r quick to pass judgments. We hyped hardik for one yr n within no time we declared his case hopeless even  though his perfomances was more than many of our seniors post Aus tour. 

Their game needs to be understood to make use of them.

1. They r all rounders who ll mostly bat at 6-7 so lets not expect gud avg and consistency.

2. Bowling- Krunal bowling wud be helpful in subcontinet n hardik in overseas. A bowler like hardik wud always be carted around in India. HE relies heavily on his bouncer for which many grounds india arent big enough and they dnt offer bounce. But in overseas he ll get bounce or bigger grounds somewere. Krunal bowling In odi wud be picked soon n players wud target him post that so u cnt even rely with him for 10 overs. Both bowling cnt be relyed for 10 overs for next 2 yrs as it requires lot of exp.

3. Batting- Its seems krunal understand his batting more than hardik as of now. Both have brutal power and both hit spin really well. But i find hardik a more clean hitter which wud help him in overseas againt pace and where krunal might need some work. 

As far as against spin they both are quite murderous. Against swing or seam both wud struggle but so wud our top order. 

4. In Odis- Ill play both in Odi for next few series. krunal at 6 n hardik at 7. Our batting needs some firepower keeping in mind we need 6 bowlers as well. Any bowlers has a bad day none of our top order batsman bowls. N no point backing Raina anymore and jadeja at 7 they have got enough years. Since both wnt be able to give u 10 overs in 1st few yrs thats were a 6th bowler helps. Both are excellent fielders. 6th bowlers is where Sarfraz, hooda, Suryakumar fails and wnt help the team and as far as yusuf goes well his fielding n batting against pace is an issue. Raina does bowl but wats the point he ll score againt week pace bowlers and we knw wat wud happen when tall bowlers with pace wud come.

5- In test- Krunal has a serious case to be considered for test played at home at no 6 but not overseas. IF we are looking to play 5 bowlers specially the one all rounder he cud be the one. He doesnt turn the ball he just darts it at high pace but thats the trick. At home we are going to make rank turners and the ball turns own its own and thats were his pace wud make him lethal. Add advantage he cud play spin well and cud take the game away in few overs specially considering how low scoring games happen on rank turners. 

I think he is better than Jaddu if we compare starting days of both. Even though Jaddu was good, he played cameo innings not those of like 86 or other 50 Pandya played some days ago. I feel Pandeya should be on radar of selectors for T20s in future as an alternative to Jaddu

Sent from my XT1562 using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, puneet28 said:

I think he is better than Jaddu if we compare starting days of both. Even though Jaddu was good, he played cameo innings not those of like 86 or other 50 Pandya played some days ago. I feel Pandeya should be on radar of selectors for T20s in future as an alternative to Jaddu

Sent from my XT1562 using Tapatalk

That is not exactly a standard one should look upto lol Jadeja. He has to be immensely better than Jaddu . Having said that we cannot say conclusively he is better than Jaddu 

2 hours ago, vvvslaxman said:

Another paul valthaty, bisla kind of knock. He never held his shape while playing most of his shots. It was one of the fluke innings. Other Pandya is better than him at this point. Don't hype this guy.

not the first time, he played a good innings this IPL. He has a decent T20 record for Baroda too. He probably has the highest SR among Indian batsmen this IPL.

2 hours ago, vvvslaxman said:

That is not exactly a standard one should look upto lol Jadeja. He has to be immensely better than Jaddu . Having said that we cannot say conclusively he is better than Jaddu 

if you dont have option, you will always want someone who is marginally better and he is not just marginally better, miles better than Jaddu. Jaddu can never dream of such an innings no matter what the attack and pitch is.

4 hours ago, Jersey #10 said:

He butchered a bunch of spinners on a batting pitch. IPL bowling/fielding are not even close to international level. A lot of Pandya's shots were blinders. They could have easily landed in fielders' hands.

Not convinced

it was not a flat pitch by means. Neither of Guptil, Butler, and Pollard got going. It was a slow pitch. Delhi batsman couldn't do much too on the same pitch.