Three years and counting and we are still betting on Dhoni

MCcricket

15 minutes ago, radhika said:

Hey @Cricketics:hello:

Where have you been ????

Happy tenth ICF anniversary to you and a very Happy Diwali!!!!!

Hello, Namaste :aha:How are you? I am back I think full time on ICF. I was wondering why we are so busy that we can't spend some more time here like we used to. I really couldn't think of any reason other than that I was slacking and falling to browsing social media sites too much.

I am here for good. Good to see you and other old members around.

Happy 10th anniversary to you too and a very Happy Diwali to you and your family. :hello:

1 hour ago, Cricketics said:

Samson has gone downhill a bit and all of a sudden Rishabh Pant seems to be the guy many people have their eye on. However, I do feel both of them really can't fit well into our ODI's for now as we aren't really playing much Odi's for next few month.

Also, I can't believe we are even discussing Dhoni's numbers. Goes without saying that Dhoni will make it to Indian team easily as a batsman as he even has better numbers at times than Kohli during chasing. We are getting carried away and thinking too much about him because of his poor captaincy. These are two different things and we shouldn't mix it.

Back to your concern, I would like to see Samson score more in the overseas tour. Something what Manish Pandey did. Manish Pandey literally earned his slot. Selectors can't ignore a guy who has been scoring runs every time he plays for India A. Samson needs to score and just score. He has a great mentor in Dravid.

Actually, on the last A  tour to Australia, Sanju Samson batted really well batting in the lower-middle order.  In the one day matches, he scored a 87 off only 74 balls in a big run chase and scored another 54. Was not out in another game and failed rarely.   In the only unofficial test innings he played, he was 34 not out with his team in trouble when rail played spoilsport. I saw the innings on an Australian website and he looked very solid against pace and bounce.

Dhoni is undoubtedly  one of the best chasers in history but his numbers are being discussed because he himself has said that his power game has gone down-hill in recent times and that used to be his forte in chases. His reflexes are also clearly slower while batting.  What he has done in the past deserves respect but has little relevance in current day decision making.  What are relevant are his current form, ability and relevance to modern day ODIs. His captaincy record has been poor in the last 3 years in ODIs but that is another issue and I am not mixing up his batting and captaincy.  Dhoni needs to bat up the order and he is doing that now.

Edited by express bowling
4 minutes ago, express bowling said:

Actually, on the last A  tour to Australia, Sanju Samson batted really well batting in the lower-middle order.  In the one day matches, he scored a 87 off only 74 balls in a big run chase and scored another 54. Was not out in another game and failed rarely.   In the only unofficial test innings he played, he was 34 not out with his team in trouble when rail played spoilsport. I saw the innings on an Australian website and he looked very solid against pace and bounce.

I am glad you did. We are lucky that cricket.com.au were showing that series. I enjoyed that tour and saw few games where India A crumbled under pressure when Pandey and Samson got out. I feel Samson can be great fit for out team but has to still show that he is scoring runs consistent even in other tour games. Also as I mentioned earlier, it is hard to give a new guy a chance right now since we are playing only 3 odis and most likely if they don't perform in a single game, they will get dropped before champions trophy. We will have to wait till the end of champions trophy to change our ODI team set up. Untill then, we will have to play this similar squad which is playing in this series along with Ashwin/Jadeja and Shikhar in it.

I can't understand what role Dhoni could play here. Even if he plays that role - do we really require such a role to be played?

If you cant find a role for a player who averages 50++ with keeping and captaincy, you should stop bothering abt finding a role for that player or follow some simple sports like kho kho

18 minutes ago, velu said:

If you cant find a role for a player who averages 50++ with keeping and captaincy, you should stop bothering abt finding a role for that player or follow some simple sports like kho kho emoji23.png

Now it is considered a miracle if he can score 20+ at a respectable strike rate. Kho Kho would now suit him more seeing him do a lot of arse lunges at the crease. 

3 hours ago, velu said:

If you cant find a role for a player who averages 50++ with keeping and captaincy, you should stop bothering abt finding a role for that player or follow some simple sports like kho kho emoji23.png

His average, his looks or his muscles don't matter. The point is - is he able to perform the team role? Currently, there are question marks.

16 minutes ago, Crookbond said:

His average, his looks or his muscles don't matter. The point is - is he able to perform the team role? Currently, there are question marks.

the point is - his performance , average , SR etc etc in his not so best period ( last 3 years ) answers all the questions..

if you still cant find the answer , read it again .. :giggle:

57 minutes ago, Bigg Brother said:

Its better not to open such thread..He is going nowhere.

Dhoni may continue to play till 2019 WC: http://www.cricbuzz.com/cricket-news/83661/dhoni-may-continue-to-play-till-2019-wc http://bit.ly/tXhJ3j

See unless you R a die hard fan of his you can see his game is not even 20% of what it was, he is just grabbing at straws, even in this series even tnough he came at 4 his S/R without pressure was 70, how long will he hide, I won't give him more then a year, he will become another Ravi Shastri, n will booed n kicked out when he score 30 in 60 balls which is what he can only do now

On ‎28‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 7:45 PM, Lannister said:

Those are some misleading stats for someone who comes late down the order. If you look at the top 10 players, he has got the least number of tons and the only reason he's in there is because of his 'not outs'.  If we take that out (a total of 9 innings), it comes down to this..

1.PNG

22 out of 34 innings were in a losing cause and this is what he averages..

2.PNG

You should see his records against top teams. The numbers goes down even further. The guy is a ******* fraud. 

Amazing how you can call someone's post of the full stats misleading and then follow it up with some cherry picked stats based on some arbitrary criteria. Delusional doesn't even begin to describe you

he is the world's best keeper against spin even today. 

he is a shadow of the batsman he once was. Coming at 4, he does not need big shots necessarily but at least the ability to rotate strike. I was sad to see his batting in the recent NZ ODIs. A lot of players can give you 30-40 runs; even Rayudu or Manoj tewari could do that. 

My fear is, if he does not retire soon, his legacy will be severely tarnished and he will make the same mistake that Kapil, Shastri and SRT made.

For some fans, let me put it this way - if he leaves now, his batting won't be missed, his captaincy would be fondly remembered for all the victories and his keeping would be a folklore. Please retire after CT 2017 (hopefully on a high) so we can retain the good memories only! 

No player should play for the sake of fans, they have every right to play as long as they want, not everyone is Sunil Gavaskar who left when he was still very good. It is the selectors fault for picking player on his past performances. Sachin was done after world cup 2011 but they kept picking him for  his 100th 100.

My gripe with Dhoni is always his captaincy but as a batsman he is still one of the best in India for ODIs if not world.He is fearless and unlike many youngsters who have no idea how do deal with pressure he is fully capable to handling any pressure.I don't see any batsmen in Indian setup who are better than him at no 4 right now.

Edited by putrevus
On 10/28/2016 at 4:15 PM, CG said:

When did we last win an odi series under Dhoni?

Also Dhoni averages 25 this year.High time he is sacked as he will never step down .Wasting precious years of Kohli.He needs time to rebuild odi squad.

if you sack a player for averaging 25 , probably you cant pick 11 members 

9 hours ago, Crookbond said:

I was talking about future, not current.

thread says last 3 years .. now check yourself