So how long is the rope for Saha?

Austin 3:!6

9 hours ago, Bogus Endian said:

Your given credentials is more suited to any tailander batsman :phehe:

Thus we admit that Saha is a late middle to tailander batsman, coz he's a limited batsman.

That's it. That was my claim.

Are u that stupid?Cant you understand simple english.Give the guy a break after being regular he avg close to 40.

7 minutes ago, ThePhenomenal1 said:

Saha has no technique, rather get Patel in, at least he has a fighting attitude, technique and range of shots.

I really don't see how 300 all out chasing 600 is any better than 130 chasing 200. The former is what will happen if Parthiv plays. Score a fighting 50 after dropping any one of Amla, du Plessis, de Villiers or de Kock.

We're back to the good old days pre-Dhoni! From now on any contribution with bat from our keepers will be an added bonus. I remember seeing Vijay Dahiya make a scratchy 30 against Zimbabwe and raise his bat in pride as he walked off the ground, those days 30 odd from an Indian WK was something to be cheered about.

Like or hate Dhoni, the guy was no muck with the bat. In fact his performances with the bat are measured using the same yardstick as the other top-order batsmen.

Saha is a safer keeper than Dhoni, who apart from his stumping prowess comes second best in every other wicket keeping parameter when compared to his younger counterpart. But put a bat in their hands and Saha looks like a helpless child in challenging conditions. Ashwin and Bhuvi looked more assured at the crease than Saha and should probably bat above him.

Dhoni is getting old and has abysmal technique, but he would fight there, using whatever means he had. His days are numbered no doubt, but was a privilege to have him in the team. 

3 hours ago, shortbread said:

We're back to the good old days pre-Dhoni! From now on any contribution with bat from our keepers will be an added bonus. I remember seeing Vijay Dahiya make a scratchy 30 against Zimbabwe and raise his bat in pride as he walked off the ground, those days 30 odd from an Indian WK was something to be cheered about.

Like or hate Dhoni, the guy was no muck with the bat. In fact his performances with the bat are measured using the same yardstick as the other top-order batsmen.

Saha is a safer keeper than Dhoni, who apart from his stumping prowess comes second best in every other wicket keeping parameter when compared to his younger counterpart. But put a bat in their hands and Saha looks like a helpless child in challenging conditions. Ashwin and Bhuvi looked more assured at the crease than Saha and should probably bat above him.

Dhoni is getting old and has abysmal technique, but he would fight there, using whatever means he had. His days are numbered no doubt, but was a privilege to have him in the team. 

Absolutely. Those were the days when the bar was so low and nobody expected anything from the keeper.

Just look at the list of keepers after Mongia, we were so ridiculous at wk until Dhoni came. Ironically PArthiv and DK are back once Dhoni retired. What a farce :facepalm: ODIs were even more ridiculous as Dhoni just changed the face of the game in ODIs when he arrived.

24 Nayan Mongia 1994–2001 44 99 8 107
25 Mannava Prasad 1999–2000 6 15 0 15
26 Saba Karim 2000 1 1 0 1
27 Vijay Dahiya 2000 2 6 0 6
28 Sameer Dighe 2001 6 12 2 14
29 Deep Dasgupta 2001–2002 8 13 0 13
30 Ajay Ratra 2002 6 11 2 13
31 Parthiv Patel 2002–2016 23 52 10 62
32 Dinesh Karthik 2004–2010 16 45 5 50
33 Mahendra Singh Dhoni 2005–2014 90 256 38 294
Edited by Shunya
51 minutes ago, Shunya said:

Absolutely. Those were the days when the bar was so low and nobody expected anything from the keeper.

Just look at the list of keepers after Mongia, we were so ridiculous at wk until Dhoni came. Ironically PArthiv and DK are back once Dhoni retired. What a farce :facepalm: ODIs were even more ridiculous as Dhoni just changed the face of the game in ODIs when he arrived.

24 Nayan Mongia 1994–2001 44 99 8 107
25 Mannava Prasad 1999–2000 6 15 0 15
26 Saba Karim 2000 1 1 0 1
27 Vijay Dahiya 2000 2 6 0 6
28 Sameer Dighe 2001 6 12 2 14
29 Deep Dasgupta 2001–2002 8 13 0 13
30 Ajay Ratra 2002 6 11 2 13
31 Parthiv Patel 2002–2016 23 52 10 62
32 Dinesh Karthik 2004–2010 16 45 5 50
33 Mahendra Singh Dhoni 2005–2014 90 256 38 294

Dinesh Karthik and Parthiv Patel in tests against good bowling attacks and tough conditions are superior bats than MSD....however you might be surprised that I would pick MSD over them any day.

Similarly Saha over MSD purely on keeping skills...MSD’s batting is not that much better or a difference maker overseas that he trumps Saha.

on Subcontinent you might have a case.

Just to hammer it into the thick skulls in the hope of getting it through to the brain: Saha as a keeper is too good to be dropped. First we need to find a keeper who, compared to Saha, does not look like they mistakenly put on a hockey goalie's gloves. Then we can talk about batting. Anyway, if a team is 70-5 and you are expecting your keeper to do a rescue job with the bat (while overlooking shoddy glovework), it's like expecting the antivirus software to protect your electronic voting machine. (You might know a less PC version involving schoolteachers, students and condoms)

23 hours ago, CG said:
23 hours ago, jusarrived said:
Not vouching for DK/PP , though I would be tempted to open with Pappu ( will solve the opening ) and give him one opportunity to redeem himself , but would not have picked him in the squad if it was up to me . This series is done , but its time we start looking out for other options , unless we try we will never know . 

No way Parthiv drops 2-3 catches per match.30 runs is nothing in tests.

So we have a keeper in a squad who drops 2-3 catches per match ? we have also 2 "batsmen" who where never expected to score .

if these 2 can make it to playing 11 in hope of them scoring , I would pick the keeper whos in the squad hoping he wont drop catches .  

1 hour ago, maniac said:

Dinesh Karthik and Parthiv Patel in tests against good bowling attacks and tough conditions are superior bats than MSD....however you might be surprised that I would pick MSD over them any day.

Similarly Saha over MSD purely on keeping skills...MSD’s batting is not that much better or a difference maker overseas that he trumps Saha.

on Subcontinent you might have a case.

Karthik has good technique as a batsman, infact he can even give our current lineup a run for money at top. But he clearly underperformed as the stats show. So in the end Dhoni with poor technique still outperformed DK, that is all that matters. Average of 21 as a keeper/bat and 27 overall is not something to get impressed with.

Parthiv again. All that superior technique could not materialize into anything. Mediocre numbers. I feel he was tried too early in his career because of our desperate need to fill the position and he could not handle the pressure of big stage. Still fighting though with Saha for the spot in the XI. Will give it to him for that, never gave up.

Both of them have got plenty of chances, but could not grab it and were eventually outperformed by Dhoni with supposedly inferior batting technique. Funny thing is they are still trying to get in but yet again are unable to grab that position as they are just not good enough. 

Saha would do good if he does not miss out to these guys or KL Rahul. Hope he don't end up like them. 

Edited by Shunya
33 minutes ago, jusarrived said:

So we have a keeper in a squad who drops 2-3 catches per match ? we have also 2 "batsmen" who where never expected to score .

if these 2 can make it to playing 11 in hope of them scoring , I would pick the keeper whos in the squad hoping he wont drop catches .  

If you pick parthiv or karthik, you will need to do more than just hope they don't drop catches. Maybe a yagna or a full havan for the duration of the time they are on the field. :om:

Edited by Laaloo

The way Parthiv Patel the batsman is hyped up on this forum :facepalm:, as if he is Lara incarnate. Are bhai the guy averages 33 after 23 tests, not 55 after 140 !!!!! Add to that his glovework won't shine in the women's game (check out Sarah Taylor's glovework if you want to know what I mean), forget men's cricket...how many more test matches should we lose because of the buffoon's inability to hold on to a cricket ball....I swear even Kohli and Dhawan without gloves will do a better job at keeping than this Pappu. Karthik is a huge upgrade over him, never forget his role in 2007 Eng....and Saha is a league above Karthik as well. I am glad we have a great keeper after 9 years of torture watching a fat hippo leaving balls go for 4 byes when not within his arm's length.....these days I enjoy watching Saha's keeping, FFS this is the first time I am paying such close attention to a keeper because he is that good. 

50 minutes ago, Gollum said:

The way Parthiv Patel the batsman is hyped up on this forum :facepalm:, as if he is Lara incarnate. Are bhai the guy averages 33 after 23 tests, not 55 after 140 !!!!! Add to that his glovework won't shine in the women's game (check out Sarah Taylor's glovework if you want to know what I mean), forget men's cricket...how many more test matches should we lose because of the buffoon's inability to hold on to a cricket ball....I swear even Kohli and Dhawan without gloves will do a better job at keeping than this Pappu. Karthik is a huge upgrade over him, never forget his role in 2007 Eng....and Saha is a league above Karthik as well. I am glad we have a great keeper after 9 years of torture watching a fat hippo leaving balls go for 4 byes when not within his arm's length.....these days I enjoy watching Saha's keeping, FFS this is the first time I am paying such close attention to a keeper because he is that good. 

Re your last sentence, you might also find some joy watching James Foster (Essex) and Michael Bates (Hampshire) -- they end up quite often on highlights reel of e.g. the County championship. The latter is retired, the former is also close to retirement, especially now that Ryan ten Doeschate has become Essex captain. Neither could, sadly, become regulars in the national teams. Of the current crop, Ben Foakes is worth a look, although even he will probably never play tests because his batting numbers put him behind Bairstow and Buttler according to the English selectors :wall:

Queensland in Australia has also had quite a fantastic production line of keepers (Robelinda on YouTube has footage of Darren Berry stumping someone off Paul Reiffel!!! Ffs). I once saw rare as hell video footage of a freakish 1st Grade keeper standing up and pulling off ridiculous catches and stampings off a tall high 120s medium pacer (remember also the bouncy Australian wicket - local wicket, as opposed to drop-in roads found in tests nowadays). The poor bugger came in to bat no. 9, and inspite of his fantastic glovework, will probably never even get a state contract :wall:

Saha's 10 catches were worth 100-150 runs.He must play in all the tests.

I think KL Rahul should be groomed as the next WK.If he can bat at 6,then tackling 2nd new ball will be easy.Hopefully,he won't lose the batting skills. Parthiv and DK should not be considered at all. Pant's first class avg is good but needs to be tested in bouncy green tracks.His keeping will improve in next 2-3 years.