So how long is the rope for Saha?

Austin 3:!6

1 hour ago, vvvslaxman said:

This article was printed in 2004. I have not seen an article like this about any Indian keeper in Indian cricket history except about Parthiv patel. That is why you cannot claim all the catches dropped by Parthiv will also be dropped by others.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/142856.html

He has made strides in last ten years. A very dated article with agenda.

4 minutes ago, Khota said:

He has made strides in last ten years. A very dated article with agenda.

No he has not. He has proved it on multiple occasions over the years. Yesterday's performance was only solidifying it. He has limited reach. His keeping is flawed at every level. Cannot believe how his state persisted with him as a keeper. Probably you can get away at the domestic level. He is an embarrassment at the international level as a keeper. 

2 hours ago, vvvslaxman said:

No he has not. He has proved it on multiple occasions over the years. Yesterday's performance was only solidifying it. He has limited reach. His keeping is flawed at every level.

Cannot believe how his state persisted with him as a keeper.

Probably you can get away at the domestic level. He is an embarrassment at the international level as a keeper. 

it is a combination of Gujarat not having many good alternatives, combined with batting in domestic cricket being easy enough to offset keeping deficiencies. Last time Parthiv and Saha played a domestic match together, Saha came in at 63/4 in the 4th innings and smashed 200+ at quick pace to hammer Gujarat, while Parthiv failed to aggregate 100 in the 1st and 3rd innings combined (It was Saha's first of two monster partnerships with Pujara, the second one being in the home series against Australia)

4 hours ago, Khota said:

Saha had his opportunity and did not score or was unable to score.

As far as catches are concerned it purely speculation on everyone's part to claim Saha would have taken those.

To set the record straight I scored the same runs as Saha in the first inning and I was not even playing.

Moving forward it goes back to what I always said give it to karthick.

Yes, atm you are more useful to India's cause than Parthiv. Unfortunately, it is more an indictment of Parthiv Patel than anything noteworthy on your part, so I would hold off on the champagne. Of course, I have not seen you keep to international level bowling yet, so I reserve judgement on whether you really would be an improvement over Parthiv -- for all I know, you might have given away a double century in dropped catches (no offence!).

Saha has been MoM on a green wicket, scored a century overseas while his team was 120ish/5, and taken multiple blinders in the recent past. The rate of dropped catches of the two players has been quoted here several times too.

Of course there is speculation involved every time one projects a player's future performance. But going on track record, it is safe to say Saha is at least as likely to have taken those catches as he would have scored less runs with the bat than Parthiv here -- and even that is conservative almost to the point of being biased in favour of Parthiv.

I hope for Kohli's and the team management's sake that Saha's niggle was a niggle and not a "niggle" , or I shall have half a mind to fly to South Africa and demonstrate to them personally -- in both senses, i.e. myself in person and on their person -- what a real niggle that keeps you from playing a test match looks like.

In case law enforcement is reading this, I have motive aplenty, but (unfortunately) no opportunity XD

Edited by abc
Typo

First Innings (71 extra runs given by him) 

Amla dropped on 30 scored 82 runs (52 runs extra), Faf dropped on 54 scored 63 (9 runs extra), Rabada dropped on 1 scored 11 (10 runs extra) . Elgar  Total 71 runs given and he scored 19. 

Second Innings (7 runs and counting)

Elgar dropped on 29, scored 36*

Pappu has cost 78 runs to team due to bad fielding. Scored just 19 in response. Moreover we have been in lead position in first innings itself had he not dropped any and scored 0. But 19 runs that he scores more than Saha are so important. :facepalm:

10 minutes ago, Straight Drive said:

First Innings (71 extra runs given by him) 

Amla dropped on 30 scored 82 runs (52 runs extra), Faf dropped on 54 scored 63 (9 runs extra), Rabada dropped on 1 scored 11 (10 runs extra) . Elgar  Total 71 runs given and he scored 19. 

Second Innings (7 runs and counting)

Elgar dropped on 29, scored 36*

Pappu has cost 78 runs to team due to bad fielding. Scored just 19 in response. Moreover we have been in lead position in first innings itself had he not dropped any and scored 0. But 19 runs that he scores more than Saha are so important. :facepalm:

That is an incorrect way of looking at it. You have to see the partnership after every drop, not just the dropped batsman's score. Also need to counter the effect such drops have on the psyche of the batsmen. I won't be surprised if the real loss because of this * is close to 150 runs. 

Here's one for Linux (and other bash shell) nerds:

for entry in foul_mouthed_insults do ;

echo "If you think Saha's keeping is not worth it, you are a $entry" ;

done

P.S.: Still learning bash scripting, and haven't put it in a terminal yet, so might be buggy.

4 minutes ago, Gollum said:

That is an incorrect way of looking at it. You have to see the partnership after every drop, not just the dropped batsman's score. Also need to counter the effect such drops have on the psyche of the batsmen. I won't be surprised if the real loss because of this * is close to 150 runs. 

Yes apart from the statistical difference of (78 - 19 = 59) -59 runs  that he has put us in, i agree that there are subjective impacts like bowlers getting frustrated, demotivated, blame game onto Chet etc etc. the impact of bad fielding becomes much more.  

1 hour ago, Forever Indian said:

sahacatchINDvAUS.gif

TeaParty2.gif

Now to add AB de Villiers inr rained-off 2nd test at home (similar to Wade, but de Villiers had also stepped out, and the ball didn't lob up as much), Angelo Mathews (huge deflection off cut shot, adjusted from near lower ribs to shoulder height), Kushal Mendis(?) bat-pad off Pandya off-cutter (again dropping in no-man's-land if any other keeper were involved) -- oh and Dane Vilas (massive deflection down leg-side) from the same home series. Then, when anyone brings up Saha's long rope, we can quote the post/compilation, ask them to take that rope and do the needful (if you know what I mean).

Edited by abc
Typo