B Thampi - Kerala Fast Bowler

Bystander

I'm totally in favour of fast tracking this guy and other ready talents.. its about potential. So what if they fail?

We have supportive captain kohli who will back these guys. Even if they fail, they have time and the resources to get better. Even picking up a couple of wickets at the international level can do wonders for confidence.

Plus we need an influx of new bowlers: Thampi, Thakhur, Nathu singh, Sran etc. Lets try these guys out and see what they can do steaming in.

I hope I am way off base here, but his window of opportunity is very small.  He is 23+, and is just making a mark.  Selectors will want to see him for at least one IPL season and one more Ranji season when he is fully fit.  With the exception of Shami, Indian fast bowlers who have had reasonably successful careers from Kapil to Srinath to Zaheer to Ishant S to even Umesh Y have all made their debuts well before age 23, which means they were known commodities at age 20 - 21 at most.  

Hopefully our selectors take a gamble on this kid, draft him into the A team right away and see what happens.  

36 minutes ago, Moth2Flame said:

I hope I am way off base here, but his window of opportunity is very small.  He is 23+, and is just making a mark.  Selectors will want to see him for at least one IPL season and one more Ranji season when he is fully fit.  With the exception of Shami, Indian fast bowlers who have had reasonably successful careers from Kapil to Srinath to Zaheer to Ishant S to even Umesh Y have all made their debuts well before age 23, which means they were known commodities at age 20 - 21 at most.  

Hopefully our selectors take a gamble on this kid, draft him into the A team right away and see what happens.  

He is already very well known for his pace in domestic circuit. It is people here who got to know about him now. But this performance will certainly propel him further for a spot in LOI teams where we are carrying bowlers like Umesh who still do not instill enough confidence.

2 hours ago, kosingh said:

Pant and Thampi are the next Gilchrist and Donald. 

I'd be happy if they can be Dhoni (of earlier years) and Srinath (of his good years).

But even to reach Dhoni (just keeping and batting, not talking abt captaincy at all)

or Srinath heights - they have Loooonnnngggggggg way to go. So we can forget Gilly and Donald (I know you were saying sarcastically only).

ICF gets over-excited easily with Pant and Thampi :)

Our BCCI selectors will select Ashok Dinda and Vinay Kumar and Jayadev Unadkat anyway :facepalm:

Edited by fineleg
6 hours ago, rkt.india said:

He is already very well known for his pace in domestic circuit. It is people here who got to know about him now. But this performance will certainly propel him further for a spot in LOI teams where we are carrying bowlers like Umesh who still do not instill enough confidence.

He looks more accurate that Umesh may be a bit slower but definitely better bouncers and that yorker. Why is this guy not playing ahead of them.