Can this Indian test team surpass our 2007-10 team?

12 hours ago, Trichromatic said:

Keeping the core same and with few changes:

Team A: 1-1 in SA, Team B: 0-1 in SA

Team A: 1-0 in NZ, Team B: 0-1 in NZ

Team A: 1-2 in Aus, Team B: 0-2 in Aus

Team A: 1-1 in SL, Team B: 2-1 in SL

Team A: 1-0 in WI, Team B: 2-0 in WI

Team A: 1-0 in Eng, Team B: 1-3 in Eng

The Current team B is not the same as the one that lost in England, SA, Australia, NZ. We now have .....

--  Better test captain

-- Much more accurate fast bowlers who have become more used to picking wickets. Umesh and Shami have become more accurate, Bhuvi has become quicker, no domestic lejunds like Pankaj, Vinay or old guys like Zaheer blocking crucial slots.

-- Much better team spirit and will to win.

-- Jadeja matured as a spinner and looking good on non-spinning tracks.

Edited by express bowling
4 minutes ago, express bowling said:

The Current team B is not the same as the one that lost in England, SA, Australia, NZ. We now have .....

--  Better test captain

-- Much more accurate fast bowlers who have become more used to picking wickets. Umesh and Shami have become more accurate, Bhuvi has become quicker, no domestic lejunds like Pankaj, Vinay or old guys like Zaheer blocking crucial slots.

-- Much better team spirit and will to win.

-- Jadeja matured as a spinner and looking good on non-spinning tracks.

Still the main strength of team B is spin bowling and team A is filled with best players of spin bowling in Indian test history. On the other hand only batsman who can match with top 5 batsmen of team A is Pujara on home pitches.

Team A can't bowl out team B with weak bowling attack, but team B would struggle more against Team A

17 minutes ago, Trichromatic said:

Still the main strength of team B is spin bowling and team A is filled with best players of spin bowling in Indian test history. On the other hand only batsman who can match with top 5 batsmen of team A is Pujara on home pitches.

Team A can't bowl out team B with weak bowling attack, but team B would struggle more against Team A

That is a different issue.

I was talking about the fact that the team that lost those 4 test series outside Asia in 2013-14 was much different from the test team of 2016-17.

On the issue of spin-playing ability of the 2007 team vs. the current one..... that team won't find it as easy to tackle spinners with DRS in operation.  Using pads on occasions while lunging forward ( and giving an impression that there was an attempt to play )  was a very common method used then and has become virtually impossible now.

32 minutes ago, express bowling said:

That is a different issue.

I was talking about the fact that the team that lost those 4 test series outside Asia in 2013-14 was much different from the test team of 2016-17.

On the issue of spin-playing ability of the 2007 team vs. the current one..... that team won't find it as easy to tackle spinners with DRS in operation.  Using pads on occasions while lunging forward ( and giving an impression that there was an attempt to play )  was a very common method used then and has become virtually impossible now.

I don't think playing spin has changed much since 2010. Using pads was very common till early 2000s, not so much towards end of 2000s. Even if it was common for other team, Indian team of late 2000s didnt use t much. Likes of Sehwag and Laxman rarely used this way especially Sehwag who was very good player of spin without using pad most of his career.

That 07-11 team had ATG's in it, players with character and mentality. 

This current team IMO is a long way off that team with only Ashwin and Kohli being the standout players in all formats and Ashwin is being over worked. Even then no one is even sure how Ashwin will play overseas. 

Rahul/Kohli/Rahane/Ashwin/Jadeja/Shami are the players (when fit in Shami's case) that you can rely on. The rest are poor or hit and miss. 

Jury is still out on Kuldeep but he looks promising. 

7 minutes ago, Trichromatic said:

I don't think playing spin has changed much since 2010. Using pads was very common till early 2000s, not so much towards end of 2000s. Even if it was common for other team, Indian team of late 2000s didnt use t much. Likes of Sehwag and Laxman rarely used this way especially Sehwag who was very good player of spin without using pad most of his career.

Not talking about using pads all the time..... but  batsmen in the pre-DRS era did not feel it necessary to defend every in-line delivery with the bat. 

3 minutes ago, Dirk_Diggler said:

This current team IMO is a long way off that team with only Ashwin and Kohli being the standout players in all formats and Ashwin is being over worked. Even then no one is even sure how Ashwin will play overseas. 

Rahul/Kohli/Rahane/Ashwin/Jadeja/Shami are the players (when fit in Shami's case) that you can rely on. The rest are poor or hit and miss. 

Jury is still out on Kuldeep but he looks promising. 

Welcome to the forum :nice:

22 minutes ago, Dirk_Diggler said:

And yet, in that period, we drew with South Africa in India in 2007-08. lost to SL in 2008,    drew with SA in India in 2009-10 and  lost 0-4 to England in England in 2011.

I have just pointed out the test series losses / draws in India,   losses to weaker teams or whitewashes, if outside Asia. ( results which were not expected ).

The main thing is developing and having wicket taking bowlers to win test series consistently, which the Indian test teams of that period sometimes had but often did not.

Edited by express bowling
On 3/29/2017 at 11:55 AM, ShebbySB said:

Team-A

Gambhir

Sehwag

Dravid

Sachin

Ganguly

VVS

MSD(c & Wk)

Kumble

Harbhajan

Zaheer

Ishant

VS

Team-B

Vijay

Rahul

Pujara

Kohli(c)

Rahane

Nair

Saha(Wk)

Ashwin

Jadeja

Umesh

Shami

Which team will win a 5 match test series in India?

Team A can easily grind Team B spinners but not sure about Team B ability to survive Team A spinners. :giggle: 

1 hour ago, express bowling said:

And yet, in that period, we drew with South Africa in India in 2007-08. lost to SL in 2008,    drew with SA in India in 2009-10 and  lost 0-4 to England in England in 2011.

I have just pointed out the test series losses / draws in India,   losses to weaker teams or whitewashes, if outside Asia. ( results which were not expected ).

The main thing is developing and having wicket taking bowlers to win test series consistently, which the Indian test teams of that period sometimes had but often did not.

Tbh my 2011 cutoff was the World Cup, that team reached its pinnacle and was the end of that period IMO. 

Between 07-11 that team rarely got embarrassed overseas, win lose or draw. 

Vijay, Rahul, Ashwin, Kohli, Jaddu, Umesh were all carrying injuries. Ashwin was carrying a very serious injury. But they played for Team India against the convicts and got the bloody job done. They put their country over their reputation, IPL and money. Respect :hatsoff:

Contrast this to how Dhoni skipped the 2008 Sri Lanka test series because he was tired after playing IPL. How SRT and co skipped 2011 West Indies tour because they were tired after playing IPL. 

In terms of attitude this team is miles ahead. That team was just a collection of very talented individuals. They had very little loyalty, character, guts and ruthlessness bar one or two. 

Fans always view history with Rose tinted glasses. When we look at the past greats, we only think about their best performances which in this case are far superior than the current lot. 

However, how many times did the team perform as a whole? When were they so dominant even at home? We have a few passengers in our current team IMO but still i would bet my money on Team B to beat Team A 7 times out of 10. 

What was I thinking when I made this thread? 

Very bad start :((

But would that team have done so well with this level of catching (5-6 drops per test)? I think both teams are more or less equal on the bat/ball front, 2007-10 had better batting, this team has better bowling. Catching is a huge mismatch, we used to drop 1-2, max 3 catches those days, SRT/Dravid/VVS/Viru had the 1st slip-gully arc well covered, this team's arc is vacuum. 

On 31/03/2017 at 2:28 PM, speedheat said:

If any team has potential to win a series in Australia its our current team, teams earlier can only be coulda shoulda woulda, and not to forget earlier team had that hypocrite dhoni in it who never really cared about our test team rather was busy making money in IPL

hah.gif