Home Season Fielding Statistics

Tibarn

Least Valuable Fielder and Most Unlucky Bowler?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Least Valuable Fielder (LVF)r?

2. 2. Most Unlucky Bowler (MUB)

Have to feel sorry for Yadav.12 wickets missed out due to our bittern finger slip fielders this season.

Surprised Ashwin and Jadeja have this many drops considering Rahane at slip and Pujara at short leg are exceptionally good.Same to see Rahane dropping 6 catches .Cant remember him dropping any easy ones tbh.

Also Parthiv has dropped more catches in 3 matches than Saha has in entire season.Trully horrible keeper.Should be nowhere near the Indian team.

And Kohli should never ever stand in slips .He is an awful slip catcher,pretty sure he drops more catches than he takes.

45 minutes ago, BeautifulGame said:

Have to feel sorry for Yadav.12 wickets missed out due to our bittern finger slip fielders this season.

Surprised Ashwin and Jadeja have this many drops considering Rahane at slip and Pujara at short leg are exceptionally good.Same to see Rahane dropping 6 catches .Cant remember him dropping any easy ones tbh.

Also Parthiv has dropped more catches in 3 matches than Saha has in entire season.Trully horrible keeper.Should be nowhere near the Indian team.

And Kohli should never ever stand in slips .He is an awful slip catcher,pretty sure he drops more catches than he takes.

It has been same for long time. Once it was shown that Kohli takes 50% of his catches at home.

@Tibarn How did you get these numbers? Did you go through the commentary?

Worst were Gautam Gambhir and Karun Nair. Gambhir was trying to make a comeback, didn't score runs and dropped dollies. Not good for an experienced player. Same for Nair, if you're trying to cement your place and don't score runs then at least don't bring negative value to the team.

19 minutes ago, Tibarn said:

When I watch cricket, I have the commentary running on a separate screen on my laptop, so I note down drops. 

Amazing. Do you watch each and every ball of all matches?

I think cricket commentary can be scraped from cricinfo or cricbuzz to extract the drop ball commentary separately. 

4 minutes ago, Trichromatic said:

Amazing. Do you watch each and every ball of all matches?

I think cricket commentary can be scraped from cricinfo or cricbuzz to extract the drop ball commentary separately. 

Indian Test Matches more or less, Test Cricket is such that one can also multitask while watching, one can even have it running in the background while working. 

I do run through the commentary on cricinfo as well to double check afterwards.

12 hours ago, Trichromatic said:

It has been same for long time. Once it was shown that Kohli takes 50% of his catches at home.

@Tibarn How did you get these numbers? Did you go through the commentary?

Worst were Gautam Gambhir and Karun Nair. Gambhir was trying to make a comeback, didn't score runs and dropped dollies. Not good for an experienced player. Same for Nair, if you're trying to cement your place and don't score runs then at least don't bring negative value to the team.

Just like OP, even I went through all commentaries(espncricinfo) of home season after Karun's drop of Warner in the 1st innings at Dharamsala. I think he is more or less right. I counted some 45-50 regulation drops. If you count difficult chances it rose to above 70. 

Did you calculate "raw" drops as wicket missed? If a fielder drops a player twice or two fielders drop a player, the bowler can't get 2 wickets.

I am pretty sure Ashwin and Jadeja didn't miss out on 4 and 2 wickets in the Aus series. Ashwin missed out on 2 wickets (if you call Handscomb catch a drop) and I don't remember Jaddu missing out on any wickets (I could be wrong).

And how come Parthiv and Saha have the same amount of missed chances in the England series?

From my memory:

Saha dropped 2 catches (off the same bat Ben Stokes). Which stumping did he miss?

Parthiv on the other hand missed stumping of Root (Jaddu), dropped/missed stumping of Bairstow (Ashwin), dropped Bairstow (Jayant), dropped Bairstow twice again (Ashwin), dropped Cook (Ashwin).

That's 6 missed chances from memory.

The unluckiest bowler has got to be Umesh in the home season. Bowled his heart out only to see catches dropped. Pacers can't create as many chances as spinners so the drops must have been even more painful for him.

58 minutes ago, sensible-indian said:

Did you calculate "raw" drops as wicket missed? If a fielder drops a player twice or two fielders drop a player, the bowler can't get 2 wickets.

I am pretty sure Ashwin and Jadeja didn't miss out on 4 and 2 wickets in the Aus series. Ashwin missed out on 2 wickets (if you call Handscomb catch a drop) and I don't remember Jaddu missing out on any wickets (I could be wrong).

And how come Parthiv and Saha have the same amount of missed chances in the England series?

From my memory:

Saha dropped 2 catches (off the same bat Ben Stokes). Which stumping did he miss?

Parthiv on the other hand missed stumping of Root (Jaddu), dropped/missed stumping of Bairstow (Ashwin), dropped Bairstow (Jayant), dropped Bairstow twice again (Ashwin), dropped Cook (Ashwin).

The unluckiest bowler has got to be Umesh in the home season. Bowled his heart out only to see catches dropped. Pacers can't create as many chances as spinners so the drops must have been even more painful for him.

Regarding Parthiv, apart from missed chances, he was having trouble collecting the ball cleanly couple of times every over against spin.   It was quite disappointing to see.  

1 hour ago, sensible-indian said:

From my memory:

I have an earlier thread,  where I explain, but I think you weren't on this forum during the England series?

Here is a table from that thread

Match Innings

Bowler

Dropped /Missed Stumping By

Player

Batting On

Cost

Rajkot 2016 1st Innings

Shami

Rahane

Cook

0(3)

Umesh

Kohli

Cook

1(6)

Umesh

Vijay

Hameed

13(12)

Umesh

Saha

Stokes

28(34)

Umesh

Saha

Stokes

29(36)

Mishra

Rahane

Broad

1(11)

5*

Rajkot 2016 2nd Innings

None

Vizag 2016 1st Innings

Ashwin

Saha(stumping)

Stokes

21(60)

Vizag 2016 2nd Innings

Ashwin

Kohli

Root

9(33)

Mohali 2016 1st Innings

Shami

Jadeja

Cook

3(8)

Shami

Ashwin

Cook

23(33)

Ashwin

Parthiv(stumping)

Bairstow

54(81)

Umesh

Kohli-Nair

Butler

7(25)

Jayant

Parthiv

Bairstow

89(176)

Mohali 2016 2nd Innings

Ashwin

Parthiv!

Hameed

6(38)

Mumbai 2016 1st Innings

Umesh

Nair

Jennings

0(10)

Jadeja

Parthiv(stumping)

Root

20(38)

Umesh

Kohli!

Ali

9(48)

Ashwin

?

Rashid

4(11)

Jadeja

Kohli

Ball

0(4)

Mumbai 2016 2nd Innings

Ashwin

Kohli

Bairstow

14(36)

Chennai 2016 1st Innings

Jadeja

Rahul

Ali

0(8)

Jadeja

Parthiv(Stumping)!

Bairstow

38(58)

Chennai 2016 2nd Innings

Ashwin

Parthiv

Cook

4(22)

13 hours ago, Mosher said:

Some dropped catches might have been tough ones but we have also dropped some real sitters this season. Should have caught at least half of those catches. There needs to be a massive improvement in slip catching.

This is a really good point. A great/athletic fielder can create more chances and thus has more opportunities to drop catches that less capable fielders wouldn't be able to.

For example:

The catch that Umesh dropped this series was off of Ashwin's bowling was a very tough chance, and, if I remember correctly, he had to run a far distance to even attempt to complete the catch. If the fielder was one of our less athletic players like Shami, there likely wouldn't have been a chance at all. So, I suppose that all drops aren't necessarily bad.

I have a feeling this is why Jinks has so many drops. When I watch him, it seems like he is one of the best, if not the single best, slip fielders in the world. I would wager that Ajinkya creates many more difficult chances while fielding, and thus has an inflated drop count.

It would be interesting to see how much our bowlers performances changed before Ajinkya was a regular in the team and after.   

1 hour ago, sandeep said:

Regarding Parthiv, apart from missed chances, he was having trouble collecting the ball cleanly couple of times every over against spin.   It was quite disappointing to see.  

Yeah and I remember arguing when the team management said he improved his keeping when he was selected :cantstop:

If we need three slip fielders, then Rahane is of course the first choice but Kohli still should stand at slip. He needs to improve his slip catching is another thing. He probably doesn't work as hard on his slip catching as much as on his other game.

But when you need 3 slip fielders, you can't ask Ashwin, Umesh, Karun Nair, Pujara to stand on slip. 

So 3 fielders have to be one of the bats other than Karun.

So Kohli being one of the better fielders in the team should work on his slip catching and be the support slip catcher to Rahane and develop another fielder like KL Rahul or Vijay, as these guys are regular in the team.

On 29/03/2017 at 11:00 PM, Cricketics said:

If we need three slip fielders, then Rahane is of course the first choice but Kohli still should stand at slip. He needs to improve his slip catching is another thing. He probably doesn't work as hard on his slip catching as much as on his other game.

But when you need 3 slip fielders, you can't ask Ashwin, Umesh, Karun Nair, Pujara to stand on slip. 

So 3 fielders have to be one of the bats other than Karun.

So Kohli being one of the better fielders in the team should work on his slip catching and be the support slip catcher to Rahane and develop another fielder like KL Rahul or Vijay, as these guys are regular in the team.

He is becoming worst slip catcher in Indian cricket history now. He can hardly be considered as better fielder of the team. It's like saying that a batsman who can hit sixes is good batsman even his defense is poor in tests.

We have to have three slip fielders ready. Kohli is not a good slip fielder.

Rahane is our number one. So if we ever have 3 fielders, he will be automatic third choice for now until we have Rahul regularly stand there or someone like Vijay or even Pujara.

Among all, I don't know how good Pujara will be at slip to the seamers We need Our bats to be at slip. Can't expect Yadav or Shami, or any other bowler to stand at slip and squat and tire their body so they can't bowl later.

Has to be someone from top 7 bats. So Rahane is automatic choice and the two others have to be players who play regularly. This is where Rahul needs to step up and start playing regularly for India so he can be tried as a slip fielder. Recently our top order has been changing a lot and that has made the the middle order bats to be used for slip fielding only. One or both openers could be developed for slip catching.

20 minutes ago, Trichromatic said:

He is becoming worst slip catcher in Indian cricket history now. He can hardly be considered as better fielder of the team. It's like saying that a batsman who can hit sixes is good batsman even his defense is poor in tests.