What's killing Windies cricket

Vk1

Its not the board and it's greed. Its not the superstar players and their franchise fascjnation. Its not American TV culture and basketball or athletics.

I actually think it's the pitches there, the biggest reason for their downfall. A player like evin Lewis or Fletcher would have scored plenty on flat pitches but they keep playing on slow low useless pitches. They should have understood this by now.

9 minutes ago, Shaz1 said:

Come on mon late us enjoy our cricket mon. After all we are here to party.

Not always true. Even the 80s guys played similarly. But I guess they were not made to toil on slow low pattas

8 hours ago, Texy said:

WI is not a country....imagine if we were told to combine Ind, Pak, BD, Nepal & SL into one team. There's no pride involved. Disband WICB and let them play for their own countries...will be much more competitive. 

But WI was not a country in the 70s ans 80s either. They were doing alright then

On 7/10/2017 at 8:41 AM, kosingh said:

But WI was not a country in the 70s ans 80s either. They were doing alright then

True but those island had gotten independence from UK recently and payers of that era would unite behind goal of getting one over ex colonial powers. Colonialism is a decent memory now. Back in those days you played for west indies and county cricket. So you played 2 or 3 months of county cricket and rest of the time for west indies. Now you have IPL, PSL, BB etc all over the year so you can make living by just playing T20.

They were alright then because they had inspirational captains . For the team's where there is no inspiration as there is no pride in playing for the country .... Captain holds very key .....

I think ...now it's time for WI to break and start playing as nations...I think they will make 2 very good team's...T&T and guyana. These teams will be easily better than Bangladesh and even better than current WI team

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Stuart Law highlighted this in his recent interview with Cricinfo... Amazing that a teams downfall could be attributed to the nature of the conditions...similar to Indian hockey after astroturf.

Can you talk about some of the challenges?
As well as the cricketing challenges, one is getting our domestic tournament structure that is going to be sustainable over a long time to produce international-class players.

The major hurdle we have in the Caribbean is the standard of facilities, the standard of pitches, which can be below average. I don't want to go out to domestic cricket, where you see a fast bowler bowl five overs from one end, another one bowl five overs from the other end, and the rest of the overs are spin. That is not West Indies cricket to me. West Indies cricket is bang, smash, bumpers, 90mph hair-raising cricket for six hours a day. We need to get back to that. Not many teams like facing 90mph. I know in the Caribbean we have got about five to seven fast bowlers who can clock early 90s. We have got to nurture those guys. That is a challenge.

West Indies should be disbanded, let them compete as individual nations, T&T, Guyana and Jamaica would be more competitive without politics of selection intefering

but of course then their first class will be screwed, impacting their Test competitiveness 

it's more to do with board and politics. Imagine not letting Sachine, Virat and other star players represent team India because of silly domestic craps, how many of y'all will actually watch matches on a regular basis. Same applies for WI. Its the board and their stupid rules thats killing their cricket. 

On 7/10/2017 at 9:26 AM, Texy said:

WI is not a country....imagine if we were told to combine Ind, Pak, BD, Nepal & SL into one team. There's no pride involved. Disband WICB and let them play for their own countries...will be much more competitive. 

i totally agree....in that case, we can have 2 to 3 good intl teams...

5 hours ago, chewy said:

West Indies should be disbanded, let them compete as individual nations, T&T, Guyana and Jamaica would be more competitive without politics of selection intefering

but of course then their first class will be screwed, impacting their Test competitiveness 

let them continue with the same first class set-up.....

but they shoudl represent as different countries in the intl scenario

Bowlers win test matches. For windies to become a better test team, they should be playing 80% of their home games on old Barbados kinda pacy bouncer pitches. No other way to improve. 

Odis they can improve with some mindset change