Last day finish at Adelaide-Who will win?

SK_IH

Last day finish at Adelaide-Who will win?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Last day finish at Adelaide-Who will win?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/06/2017 at 02:39 PM

Its 55-45 Eng at this point IMO.   But England do have unmatched ability to choke, so there's that.  

Australian batting collapse made the test match very interesting.

Btw, only 2 tests and 4 innings so far, but Alistair "certain to surpass Tendulkar" Cook averaging 15 so far, and that's after escaping a LBW decision due to another DRS brainfade from Smith.    

I expected Cook and Anderson to have bad series individually - but credit to Clouderson, he used the movement under lights to good effect yesterday.   

Generally betting websites don't get their odds wrong. I will respect that and say Aussies are favorites here. In such chases the last 50-100 runs are the hardest to get as we found out in Adelaide and Pak found out in Brisbane. Even if Poms reach 300/6 it will only be a 50:50 for me. If Root pulls out a miracle here he will have cemented his position as an ATG at the age of 26 !!!! If not the wait will be longer for him. 

1 hour ago, sandeep said:

Its 55-45 Eng at this point IMO.   But England do have unmatched ability to choke, so there's that.  

Australian batting collapse made the test match very interesting.

Btw, only 2 tests and 4 innings so far, but Alistair "certain to surpass Tendulkar" Cook averaging 15 so far, and that's after escaping a LBW decision due to another DRS brainfade from Smith.    

I expected Cook and Anderson to have bad series individually - but credit to Clouderson, he used the movement under lights to good effect yesterday.   

95% Australia. Very Slim chance for England. Infact more I think more I tilt towards Australia win. And it was brilliant bowling by Woakes and Anderson, specially Anderson which has just given a ray of hope to English team.

Edited by mishra
1 hour ago, sandeep said:

You are being very harsh on Anderson. He has been tremendous in UAE against YK-Misbah-Azhar Ali and has had memorable moments in India on non cloudy days. He might be no Mcgrath or Steyn but certainly deserves more respect. Very skillful operator, his longevity and improvement since his early days have been admirable. 

Edited by Gollum
1 minute ago, Gollum said:

Generally betting websites don't get their odds wrong. I will respect that and say Aussies are favorites here. In such chases the last 50-100 runs are the hardest to get as we found out in Adelaide and Pak found out in Brisbane. Even if Poms reach 300/6 it will only be a 50:50 for me. If Root pulls out a miracle here he will have cemented his position as an ATG at the age of 26 !!!! If not the wait will be longer for him. 

Forget 50-100. I dont remember exact Ashes test match, but it was during Aussie great era. Just 17-18 runs was needed for a English win and about 4 wickets were still there and wicket a fell. Boycott started saying. Oh Dear oh dear, Just 18 runs needed. How are we going to get it now , Can someone please score them. Wides no balls extras doesnt matter,

It became a nail bitting finish. England won by 1 wicket or something.

19 minutes ago, Gollum said:

You are being very harsh on Anderson. He has been tremendous in UAE against YK-Misbah-Azhar Ali and has had memorable moments in India on non cloudy days. He might be no Mcgrath or Steyn but certainly deserves more respect. Very skillful operator, his longevity and improvement since his early days have been admirable. 

Credit or not, he's old, has dropped his pace, and can at best, keep things tight, and maybe threaten to take a wicket or 2 with the new ball with a bit of luck - unless the conditions are in his favor - like under lights at Adelaide with the pink ball a couple of days ago. 

He is on his way out, and just like Cook, the TINA factor is what's keeping him in the XI.  

5 minutes ago, maniac said:

Couple of inroads and Starc with roll over the tail...Anderson and this version of Broad are total bunnies with the bat...Overton don’t know if he can bat.

If Root and Woakes bat past the 1st hour, I think its an eminently winnable game for England.  Of course, I'd rather see them choke and self-flagellate, but that's besides the point.

2 minutes ago, sandeep said:

If Root and Woakes bat past the 1st hour, I think its an eminently winnable game for England.  Of course, I'd rather see them choke and self-flagellate, but that's besides the point.

Starc is a little underwhelming in tests compared to his LOI exploits however what sets him apart from most bowlers today is he can bowl these cluster of unplayable deliveries and get 2-3 wickets as a bunch from no where.

I saw this last year when Starc had 0 wickets and Amir had probably 1 and Padosis where saying how Amir is better than Starc and lol from no where Starc destroyed the tail from nowhere and ended up with 4 wickets :cantstop:

Not an isolated example...he did that in the Ind-Aus series as well when the game was going nowhere and suddenly he would pick a couple of wickets and just change the complexion of the game.

So Yes England are favorites but only very very marginally at this point....180 runs is a loooooong way to go.

Just now, ravishingravi said:

I think Moeen Ali or Bairstow will have to play a blinder. But they have the right batsmen. New ball too coming up. 

Starc with the old ball and reverse is their beter shot right now...new ball might provide some quick runs and ease the pressure off.

8 minutes ago, sandeep said:

Sandeep, I was watching the game today. Last 40 mins, Australia were under tremendous pressure. All they needed was one wicket as England seemed building a partnership. Smith wasted two reviews just in hope that he may get. Crowd started making fun of him. But their bowlers specially Starc and Cummin came after the batting. You could see the tension in air. And then Cummins bowls one brilliant over. Not that his other overs were bad, but he just got some reverse swing in that over. End result. England lost Malan. Could have lost Root too in that session because there were quiet a few  time/mistimed/uncontrolled shots in air.

Hence I say, Australia will get a wicket if needed. It will require some Laxmanesque effort to stop them

39 minutes ago, Gollum said:

He is going to be more successful test bowler than Mcgrath when he retires and would accumulate so many that Steyn could not reach!!!

70-30 in favour of Aus to start with.

Eng need to score at least 40 runs without losing a wicket to have an equal chance to win.

I really want Eng to win this one. Would be incredible having been behind by more than 200 runs in the 1st innings. Also would breathe some life into the series and make the remaining tests interesting for the neutrals. If Aus win this, they will most likely bulldoze Eng in the remaining 3 tests.

41 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Agreed...Anderson has definitely earned the right to be called an ATG...don’t know why some posters talk of him as if he is the 2nd coming of Stuart Binny lol.

Him and Steyn are the 2 greatest fast bowlers of this era...period.