why can't rahane open the batting in test matches?

speedheat

1 hour ago, Brainfade said:

This thought reminded me of a day, not overseas, but a day in cricketing heaven when a graceful artist who traditionally batted #5 or #6 was sent up to #3 moving the normal #3 guy who was a bit out-of-form to #6.  Next thing you know?  657/7 declared and folklore!

On one of the flatest pitches, ya,  it can't happen overseas.  Still heaven it is!!!

I feel Chepu should open and Rahane should be at no 3. Chepu is pretty much the virtual opener in most matches after the openers fail. Openers simply need to blunt the 1st session. Rahul can be more aggressive and should bat 3 or 5 .

Given the current situation of Rahane not playing at all,I will take him as opener any day.

54 minutes ago, Temujin Khaghan said:

when we have Rahul and vijay why should he?

I feel rahane can do the same job as Vijay as opener for us both home and away, we can shift Rahul or Vijay in the middle-order who both are excellent player of spin bowling and rahane isn't, proactive thing which mngmnt is missing.

Edited by speedheat
5 minutes ago, speedheat said:

But that was a experiment by mngmnt which failed hence only 5 matches, I don't follow domestics as much hardly gets a time, so you know which position he bated in domestics?? 

for mumbai he use to bat at 3 mostly 

LEts not even talk about this team mngmt, 1 match men unhone rahul ko fail maan liya. Regd, pujara runs in SL earned him his position back. Rahane batted at 3 becoz of few injuries around 

Edited by Ankit_sharma03
13 hours ago, Sgattick10 said:

Opening slot in test match is a specialized position, not everyone can fit into. Yes Rahane has the technique but does he have the temparament and attitude to grind the bowlers... I have seen him make nice 60s and 70s and get out. 

That is in Odis where he struggles to maintain his strike rate and gets out I have already mentioned it in op but in test matches he will get time to play those long innings, tbh he has the temperament 

58 minutes ago, speedheat said:

I feel rahane can do the same job as Vijay as opener for us both home and away, we can shift Rahul or Vijay in the middle-order who both are excellent player of spin bowling and rahane isn't, proactive thing which mngmnt is missing.

unnecessary complications as if we dont have enough problems already...