Rafi vs. Kishore- the best singer??

suraj

It's very hard to compare but somehow Rafi comes on top despite the popularity of Kishore 

- Discuss; and please don't post about other singers who obviously had lot of talent too ; let's  compare the best of the best in their era for now 

Interestingly less ego in those days and they were not afraid to sing together at the risk of being compared 

Also songs pictured on Kishore with Rafi as the singer - hilarious ( although all flopped:-))

29 minutes ago, suraj said:

Interestingly less ego in those days and they were not afraid to sing together at the risk of being compared 

Also songs pictured on Kishore with Rafi as the singer - hilarious ( although all flopped:-))

Theses two seemed like very chilled out guys. Lata and Asha apparently were not so good to other upcoming singers.

32 minutes ago, tweaker said:

In this song Rafi sounded better 

Apples v/s Oranges. Rafi's is a happier mood song, while KK was in a sad mood. Comparing singing ability I think Rafi is just a notch higher, but KK is very versatile and can sing all kinds of mood songs. Rafi is v good in urdu-based songs (ghazals etc.).

Why we do compare lesser singers, when Lata was daylights ahead of all of them! 

Both of them are best of the best. My favorite is Kishore. Rafi is close 2nd. In terms of talent to sing any song almost perfectly, Rafi would score a little more

There was an incident where the music composer wanted Kishore to sing a song (probably a sad song iirc from what I have heard). Kishore found the song difficult and recommend that Rafi would do more justice to the song. The music composer did not want to offend Kishore by calling Rafi as the replacement so Kishore himself called Rafi on behalf of the music composer and requested him to sing the song 

Kishore  probably did not train as much in classical singing (relatively speaking) as others but could do wonders when he set his sights on something. RD Burman asked Kishore to sing "Mera Naina Sawan Bahado" which is based on one of the famous ragas. Kishore recommended that RD have Lata sing the song first and then he would listed to it, rehearse and sing it. After Lata recorded the song, Kishore rehearsed for a few days till he felt comfortable of nailing it. The song is probably more popular than Lata's version and no one could tell that Kishore would have rehearsed so hard to sing it. It just flows .... 

Kishore and Rafi :hail: .... Indian film industry is so fortunate to have / had access to Lata, Asha, Rafi and Kishore, along with Mukesh

Edited by zen

On 3/15/2018 at 10:06 AM, suraj said:

one comment from the video

Bevakufo ko kuch nahi pata kisor ne jab bhi Gaya wo jyad hit huaa, .(Javed akhtar ka show dekh Lena ) This song was more popular in Kishore's voice Aaradhna jab release hui baad me Rafiiji ko kam Milne me dikkat ho gai this ... everyone wanted to get Kishore's voice (mukeshji ko apni tarah ke gane mil jate the , but raffiji was replaced by Kishore) .. 1970 to 1980. Ke gano ki history pata karlena (I don't want to say that Rafiiji is not great .c I am a big fan of each and every singers of that era ) But the fact is this that after aaradhna it was kishor till his death ...and this is a fact based on History .

21 hours ago, rkt.india said:

one comment from the video

Bevakufo ko kuch nahi pata kisor ne jab bhi Gaya wo jyad hit huaa, .(Javed akhtar ka show dekh Lena ) This song was more popular in Kishore's voice Aaradhna jab release hui baad me Rafiiji ko kam Milne me dikkat ho gai this ... everyone wanted to get Kishore's voice (mukeshji ko apni tarah ke gane mil jate the , but raffiji was replaced by Kishore) .. 1970 to 1980. Ke gano ki history pata karlena (I don't want to say that Rafiiji is not great .c I am a big fan of each and every singers of that era ) But the fact is this that after aaradhna it was kishor till his death ...and this is a fact based on History .

This is based on popular belief.  That is immaterial to this discussion. We don't base quality of films based on box-office receipts. Do you rate Salman Khan over a Irfan Khan based on box-office receipts? Just because Rafi was sidelined because of the popularity of Aradhana, doesn't make him inferior to Kishore,