Why is nobody talking about our super **** new ball bowlers?

G_B_

Actually I don't believe in this CSK quota hogwash
Kohli definitely backs Bhuvi as one of his prime weapons in LOIs

Let's name it- favourite quota.
Every influential player has their own favourites and they try to get their cliques In.
Bhuvi's career is on the last legs .
I don't see him in 2023 WC TBH.

Sent from my CPH1609 using Tapatalk

46 minutes ago, UrmiSinhaRay said:

Let's name it- favourite quota.
Every influential player has their own favourites and they try to get their cliques In.
Bhuvi's career is on the last legs .
I don't see him in 2023 WC TBH.

Chahar I thought deserved the spot,got quite a lots of wkts in A tour as well,but yes obviously favourites are always there.

I don't know why are writing off Bhuvi,I don't think he is on the wrong side of Virat and co

2 hours ago, UrmiSinhaRay said:

No big Dhoni fan, but that's because a lot of people don't like him.
Even Rohit Sharma and Suresh Raina played like **** , but all blame went to Mahi.
Most people are fair-weather fans - they want Pant in because he's the sexy choice.
But what they fail to understand is that Our players are not robots- they can't necessarily win all the matches.
It is true Dhoni is past his prime-but have we got better alternatives?
Sure, DK Is supposedly the better batsman right now-but he is a worse keeper than Dhoni plus Kohli trusts Dhoni for brainy stuff.

It is easy to blame batsmen for their follies- because they are the ones who are being Proactive when chasing. Dhoni more because people are more influenced by Pant's recent IPL blitzkrieg.
First it started with Pant not being included in the squad, and then people worked out that Dhoni is behind Pant's exclusion.
He is not being blamed for his bad day- even Kohli went out for ducks in matches vs Ireland.
People are using this opportunity to blame him for not including Pant.

well said .Dhoni still is very much a deserving candidate in the eleven , if used efficiently.

the main culprits in yesterday's loss  was  mainly seam bowlers, then Dhawan,Rahul,Raina & then Pandya in that order.And here some experts are blaiming Dhoni.
Agreed. Dhawan had no interest at all in trying to win the match. 120 SR what was he thinking?

Dhoni's approach was right. He made sure India had good net run rate which will be useful in the later part of the tournament despite the loss.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, SK_IH said:

You must be kidding,Sid Kaul has had his 2 min of Fame post IPL,next year we will remember him for his head band only

I would definitely prefer Chahar though,he actually has a good outswinger

@UrmiSinhaRay is probably speaking the inevitable,the recent developments suggest likewise,i think this is what her sarcasm meant..Chahar having played his part with csk ,can be rolled back in the odi setup, someone has to be the scapegoat..

Our choice of pacers in ODIs is definitely a cause for concern. Not just these 2 but also our original choices as a pace bowling group  ( not individually ).

This is happening partially due to the fact that we are choosing our ODI teams based on performances in the IPL  which is played in T20 format. There is little recognition of the specific requirements of ODIs, be it pacers or batsmen.

1)  We lack a true wicket-taker in the first 10 overs.  Bumrah is a top quality ODI bowler overall and Bhuvi adds good value in the death overs.  But where is the upfront wicket-taker  with Shami not being considered at all for ODIs these days ?

2)  Kaul is a decent T20 bowler.   T20 pace bowling is largely about variations. But ODIs need some classical good length, deck hitting pace bowling too in the first 40 overs or so. We cannot pick all our ODI pace bowlers based on T20 performances.

What does Kaul being to the table in the first 40 overs of ODIs  !  Short medium pacer without any great skills.  And we are picking them in ODIs based on the IPL.

3)  Umesh lacks accuracy and death bowling skills.  What he may bring to the table in ODIs is upfront wicket-taking ability ... that too if he bowls at his normal high pace.  Someone has instructed him to bowl slowly.  That means, the only good thing he had going for him is gone too. This seems bizarre to me.

In major tournaments, he can work only as a 3rd pacer as he can't be depended upon to bowl at the end.

4)  Shardul Thakur does not look like a top ODI bowling candidate either.

So .....  where are the effective backups if Bumrah and Bhuvi are not available in important ODI tournaments ...  and where is a true upfront wicket-taker  ?

Edited by express bowling
3 minutes ago, express bowling said:

Our choice of pacers in ODIs is definitely a cause for concern. Not just these 2 but also our original choices as a pace bowling group  ( not individually ).

This is happening partially due to the fact that we are choosing our ODI teams based on the IPL which is played in T20 format.  There is no recognition of the specific needs for the ODI format, be it pacers or batsmen.

1)  We lack a true wicket-taker in the first 10 overs.  Bumrah is a top quality ODI bowler overall and Bhuvi adds good value in the death overs.  But where is the upfront wicket-taker  with Shami not being considered at all for ODIs these days ?

2)  Kaul is a decent T20 bowler.   T20 pace bowling is largely about variations. But ODIs need some classical good length, deck hitting pace bowling too in the first 40 overs or so. We cannot pick all our ODI pace bowlers based on T20 performances.

What does Kaul being to the table in the first 40 overs of ODIs  !  Short medium pacer without any great skills.  And we are picking them in ODIs based on the IPL.

3)  Umesh lacks accuracy and death bowling skills.  What he may bring to the table in ODIs is upfront wicket-taking ability ... that too if he bowls at his normal high pace.  Someone has instructed him to bowl slowly.  That means, the only good thing he had going for him is gone too. This seems bizarre to me.

In major tournaments, he can work only as a 3rd pacer as he can't be depended upon to bowl at the end.

4)  Shardul Thakur does not look like a top ODI bowler candidate either.

So .....  where are the effective backups if Bumrah and Bhuvi are not available in important ODI tournaments ...  and where is a true upfront wicket-taker  ?

Back ups are needed for every purpose,with so much of cricket being played these days , injuries are bound to happen,so when is the time we should try others?

We once in every year travel to Zim,Wi,these tours are meant to try newbies like Mavi, Nagarkoti,Siraj,Prasidh,Rajpoot,Khaleel,Saini,Avesh,Lalit Yadav..

Similarly batsmen like Pant,Shaw,Gill,Kishan,Mayank,Krunal,Rana,Tripathi etc can be given exposure, 

While searching for new and / or backup ODI pacers,  what do we need  ?   

Ideally,  we need a couple of pacers who

--  Have potential to take wickets upfront.

--  Have the basic tools to be a good death bowler.

-- Can bowl accurate, good length, deck hitting, off-stump to channel deliveries with regularity.

-- Have sufficient pace.

-- Since most of our pacers are short to medium height ...  it would be nice to get pacers who are tall and get bounce.

-- Ability to swing the ball is really welcome.

We need to try 3 or 4 pacers who tick most of these boxes.  (  Our current backup pacers don't  )

****  All the pacers we try won't succeed.  This is natural.

Who are the potential candidates who tick most of these boxes  ?

1)  Ankit Rajpoot

2)  Khaleel Ahmed.

3)  Prasidh Krishna.

Try them in ODIs with 1 year to go before the World Cup.   Even if one of them come good,  we will have a better WC bowling attack.

Edited by express bowling

IPL does more harm than good when it comes to the selection of fast bowlers. Guys like Kaul get the limelight and end up in the team. Selectors and Kohli are both obtuse. Whats the point of choosing a bowling attack that's only consists of short trundlers??

I don't mind England posting 350+ if that would result in some improvement in the selection policy.

5 hours ago, G_B_ said:

I notice MSD being slow is (rightly) the focus of most fans ire.

Dhoni is at a stage where one good innings will get him more accolades then he deserves and every poor inning will only demand retirement . Has happened to tendulkar will happen to kohli also 

5 hours ago, G_B_ said:

But what about our pace bowlers? The first 10 England have always got a flier. Why isnt this also a topic of focus?

More then them ill blame team mngmt who never thought of giving bhuvi bumrah much of rest in between n preparing backups. Last yr only in Ind-Aus series they gave one game to shami n umesh n they went for runs and bhuvi n bumrah were called back . Atleast give others a proper chance to prove they are good or bad

2 hours ago, S_pace said:

Dhawan and Pandya??? Seriously, I know you are trying to save your Dhoni but atleast there was intent from these two...both of them were sr100 and were unlucky to dismissed the way they were dismissed. Use some logic atleast with your arguments.

First of all accept the truth that not every match can be won, especially chasing a mammoth 322. Having said that if a fight was to be made out of the situation, either one of the openers needed to play a big inns(by law of averages  it was to be Dhawan ) but didn't happen.Rahul failed miserably.Then if any chance, it was Raina to keep  moving on and then Pandya needed to explode.All this

didn't happen, then why blame Dhoni alone.???? BTW, i do not  have any speciality towards Dhoni... just telling what i feel to be sensible.That's all.

Edited by rtmohanlal