Karunandhi health status...

FischerTal

11 minutes ago, Stradlater said:

I think you took my statement in the wrong way. The 'head in the sand' comment was in context of short sightedness on the part of TN Brahmins and their ignorance and unwillingness to act when these movements were in infancy. 

The Justice party and self respect movements derived their support from the lower echelons of Tamil society and had Iyers been prudent at that time, they would have visualised the devastating consequences of these caste based revolts.

It's their lack of vision and general careless attitude which allowed these parties to consolidate their support, brainwashing their followers with the now defunct Aryan invasion theory and Brahmins as some foreign Invaders and sowed the seeds of Dravidian movement of 50s to 70s.

All I'm saying is that Brahmins missed the trick by incorrectly assessing the potential harms these movements posed and now they pay the price.

Thanks for the post. I am not well versed with that part of history, need to do some reading before I get to know exactly what happened then. But may be Brahmins were a very small % of Tamil society hence couldn't stop the Dravidian movement which had support of a brutal majority. At the end of the day demography is everything in a democracy and coupled with that perhaps Iyers/Iyengars were soft. Even with a proper vision and alertness I don't see how they could have stopped what happened under Periyar and his cronies.

5 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Thanks for the post. I am not well versed with that part of history, need to do some reading before I get to know exactly what happened then. But may be Brahmins were a very small % of Tamil society hence couldn't stop the Dravidian movement which had support of a brutal majority. At the end of the day demography is everything in a democracy and coupled with that perhaps Iyers/Iyengars were soft. Even with a proper vision and alertness I don't see how they could have stopped what happened under Periyar and his cronies.

Through cultural interaction I guess? 

I have heard casteism was practiced in extreme form in the south (the Namboothari treatment of Dalit Mallus come to mind) and they could have taken measures to combat this menace along with support of some respected Dalit leaders of INC.

But it's all speculation at my part at the end of the day.

1 hour ago, Gollum said:

I am not sure but when Amma died there was no violence, people conducted themselves rather well. May be this violence issue is overblown.

I recall when YSR died in that chopper crash, there were reports of many Telugu farmers who allegedly committed suicide out of grief. But when there was investigation it became clear that they were exaggerated and all the deaths were due to natural causes or because of debt recovery/crop failure reasons. The politicians drummed up fictional numbers to show how great their late leader was and how emotionally attached he/she was with the commoners. Pure propaganda. I will take such allegations with a pinch of salt. Even during Jallikattu protests there was no violence till the last day when urban Maoists and Islamic groups infiltrated and caused chaos. To say that Southies indulge in violence is insensitive generalization.

Even during Indo-Pak matches you have news about suicides and carefully scripted drama of people breaking old TV sets. Most of the suicides are by bettors who have lost large sums of money...same in case of South American and African football, I have read of even tennis gamblers doing the same after a low level challenger match. Don't believe whatever media tells you.

I agree.

I think it has also become a measure of a ' leader's' status.

This gives a new twist to his son's request for ' no violence'. Why the hell is he talking about violence when there is none now? It is almost like prompting that it is an option.

It is like if people don't die or kill themselves, it is reflection of the person's low status.

Abhi mara bhi nahin, melodrama already shuru...

DMK leader Stalin says 21 party workers have died of shock after Karunanidhi’s illness

https://www.hindustantimes.com/india-news/dmk-leader-stalin-says-21-party-workers-have-died-of-shock-after-karunanidhi-s-illness/story-sgtLIIK9ATlGZ8yDk9NQbN.html

The Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (DMK) on Wednesday said 21 of its party workers have died unable to bear the “shock” of the illness and hospitalisation of party chief M Karunanidhi.

The party also appealed to the cadres not to take any extreme step in view of the 94-year-old former chief minister’s health.

“I am deeply depressed to learn that 21 party workers have died unable to bear the shock of party president Kalaignar’s illness (and hospitalisation),” DMK working president MK Stalin said.

They have died out of shock, the party says don't be shocked! 

Edited by coffee_rules

13 minutes ago, Gollum said:

@velu @Detonator 2 questions: Who enjoyed/enjoys more popularity in TN, Karunanidhi or the late Jayalalitha? And have they surpassed the stature of people like Anna, MGR, Periyar?

i have no idea about anna .. i think kamarajar is more popular than anna i guess .. periyar is not even popular during his time

mgr and jaya > dmk and karunanidhi

last election ( admk ) amma contested alone and dmk contested as a 16/17 party coalition and won for the second time which is a great testament for her popularity ..

nobody is saint .. amma , mgr , karuna etc etc ..  all are corrupt

heard mgr did some good work in his second term .. same with amma , first term was riddled with corruption charges but the last term she did rule better

dmk  rule tamilnadu media more than congress rule national media 

23 minutes ago, Gollum said:

@velu @Detonator 2 questions: Who enjoyed/enjoys more popularity in TN, Karunanidhi or the late Jayalalitha? And have they surpassed the stature of people like Anna, MGR, Periyar?

1. It's not that simple. Right now after Stalin and Edapadi Palanisamy comedies both have a sharp decline in popularity. Jaya has been more popular in her time, even when in opposition. 

2. Nobody comes close to MGR. Kamaraj and Anna are a distant second. Both karuna and Jaya are seen as corrupt. 

Edited by Detonator