Desi extra overdose

Vk1

These days.. whenever I open any Youtube cricket video or any twitter update of a foreign cricketer or journo, we see 80% of comments from our desi guys... its like the rest of the world barely gives a sheet about the game and here we Indo/Pak/Bangla guys are like following every X,Y,Z.. discussing and commenting on players of other countries even more than their own correspondents do.. I know some of it has got to do with the population but frankly after knowing that cricket forget being number one, it isn't even a number two sport in any of the non-asian countries.. makes me feel very odd and a feeling that I can't describe. And then I think of all these metro kids who crazily idolize soccer stars of Europe who would never land their foot in India unless its a multi-million dollar ad campaign.. and then it feels that being cricket mad is better than that. 

Most disappointing feeling comes when we regularly see this desi faces turing up for cricket matches in Australia / England even when India isn't playing :phehe: 

and this world cup final.. seeing 1000s of Indians in the stands on tv.. it felt quite weird.. I mean why would you want to watch a world cup final between eng vs nz... and then support NZ while you live most of your life in Eng.. :hysterical::hysterical:

why not sell the tickets and give the once in a lifetime chance to English ?

2 hours ago, Vk1 said:

Most disappointing feeling comes when we regularly see this desi faces turing up for cricket matches in Australia / England even when India isn't playing :phehe: 

and this world cup final.. seeing 1000s of Indians in the stands on tv.. it felt quite weird.. I mean why would you want to watch a world cup final between eng vs nz... and then support NZ while you live most of your life in Eng.. :hysterical::hysterical:

The self-loathing is strong in here.

Why do you care what people choose to do?

It's the WC final, why wouldn't you want to be there to witness it?

Supporting a sports team is nothing to do with national pride. Why should you have to support the team which hails from where you reside?

7 hours ago, Vk1 said:

Maybe the Indian citizens sold their tickets to a bunch of UK citizens, who were also of Indian origin and supporting Eng.  

9 hours ago, Vk1 said:

.. I mean why would you want to watch a world cup final between eng vs nz... and then support NZ while you live most of your life in Eng.. :hysterical::hysterical:

Most of the desi crowd  in the stadium( I am assuming they were locals) were rightfully supported England.

I know for sure my friends first generation British citizens were supporting Eng. Though I agree lot of metro kids and even adults watch and follow the European soccer more closely now. Nothing wrong either ways Cricket will definitely evolve and here to stay same way as Baseball (which other than handful of countries and only US actually plays)

7 hours ago, Sachinism said:

The self-loathing is strong in here.

Why do you care what people choose to do?

It's the WC final, why wouldn't you want to be there to witness it?

Supporting a sports team is nothing to do with national pride. Why should you have to support the team which hails from where you reside?

Yes, it's this level of interest.. that none of the other nations have even remotely.. is what concerns me..  I would personally prefer to see a scenario where we win against the home team and home crowd in overseas.. but in LOIs atleast, you will see far too many Indians and sometimes more Desis than home team.. and this has been the case since long time.. kind of reduces the zing..

overall.. it feels like we are playing an extremely elite sport majorly followed by sub-continent.. yet we could not dominate the sport so far..  Other asian teams at least can say they don't have the infrastructure, politics etc.. in our case, we have had good infra for about 10 years now.. top IPL teams scouting and producing talent every year.. and yet forget dominating, we are not even winning ICC trophies and overseas tests... :facepalm:

11 minutes ago, Vk1 said:

Yes, it's this level of interest.. that none of the other nations have even remotely.. is what concerns me..  I would personally prefer to see a scenario where we win against the home team and home crowd in overseas.. but in LOIs atleast, you will see far too many Indians and sometimes more Desis than home team.. and this has been the case since long time.. kind of reduces the zing..

Totally agree with you. I was really put off when Indian fans outnumbered English fans like 90:10 in the 2013 CT final. I was searching for a white Brit face in the crowd that whole game and did not find any . 

And then again in the 2015 Semi against Australia in Sydney. I mean ...we can excuse England saying it was just a CT or Cricket is not followed that much , but Australia... ? Cricket is still very popular and followed well by the Aussie public and add to that it was a world cup semifinal  And still we found the SCG filled with indians. It really takes out that crunch away from the game. 

That's why I like when we play in Bangladesh or Sri Lanka. It gives a real "away" feeling with close to zero Indian presence in the crowd. Even tests in England for that matter. 

1 hour ago, Vk1 said:

I live in America and people here are crazy about American Football which no one else cares about. Australians love AFL which is only played in that country. So why should we need other people's validation?

52 minutes ago, Cricket_Fan said:

I live in America and people here are crazy about American Football which no one else cares about. Australians love AFL which is only played in that country. So why should we need other people's validation?

you are right.. but this game has been born and raised in England.. championed by Aussies and Windies.. we need the game to grow.. not become a one nation or south asian sport. 

I feel T10 using the tennis ball,can be promoted in lots of countries.The usual issues like game taking too much time,frequent injuries due to hard balls won't be there in these formats.

It needs better video games like FIFA with realistic player faces,bowling actions,side-stories,better graphics,etc to create hype.

Get into the olympics or commonwealth games faster,

The game lacks glamour.Its pretty much a men's sport right now.Women's game being too behind is not helping at all.Hot female players who are good at the game can popularise the game faster.

You're upset because English people didn't bother to buy tickets to a match? so lets blame Indians for that.

Tickets are made available on the official ticketing website. Anyone can go and buy tickets.

England started the tournament as favourites, if their fans don't buy tickets for the finals, why is that the fault of Indian fans?

While I also agree matches are better when both teams have relatively equal support, this is not the fault of Indian fans. 

You should really be blaming ICC, they price the tickets at ridiculous prices, looking to exploit certain fans (Indians and English), the Indians are willing to pay whatever it costs. Why should they then sell their tickets at a loss to English fans who wouldn't want to pay the 'value' of the ticket and end up losing money?

Edited by Sachinism