Match Thread : India vs Aus 1st ODI, Wankhade on 14th jan 2020

"“Virat Kohli is far far better than Steve Smith in white-ball cricket. There’s no comparison. I would not compare Kohli to Smith in white-ball cricket. I would actually want to see what spot Smith bats on.”" - Gautam Gambhir, Former India opener

"Are they're going to push him (Smith) at no 4 or would have him bat at 3 and send Labuschagne at no 4," he added.

On the bowling front, Gambhir feels that Jasprit Bumrah and Mohammed Shami can trouble the Australian batsmen with sheer pace in the ODI series starting on Tuesday.

“I’m really excited to see how these two guys bowl against some of the top batters like David Warner or Aaron Finch in that kind of form in white-ball cricket on flat wickets.

“But the best part is that they have got pace. They can actually get wickets with that sheer pace and the quickness in the air as well,” Gambhir opined.

Both of them bowling in tandem is going to be a greatsight because it’s a little unfortunate that Shami didn’t play in the World Cup semi-final. It was probably the worst decision that was made in the entire World Cup with the kind of form he was in.

“Had he played that, with Bumrah he would have had animpact. I know that both of them bowling with the new ball together with theform they are in, it’s going to be hard work for the Australians.” Theformer opener believes Shami is way more effective on placid tracks like theone on offer at the Wankhede.

"“I’ve always believed that when you’re playing on flaccid wickets and smaller grounds like the Wankhede or Bangalore, your bowlers need to step up. The kind of form Mohammed Shami is in, it’s a big plus for India that he has done really well in white-ball cricket.”" - Gautam Gambhir, on India pacer Mohammed Shami

"Jasprit Bumrah is coming back from injury but he's a quality bowler." The worrying aspect for India would be the middle-order that will have to face a quality Australian pace attack that has Mitchell Starc and Pat Cummins.

"Australian bowlers like Mitchell Starc, Pat Cummins and Josh Hazlewood would not let Indian batters at numbers 5, 6 and 7 get runs in front of an opposition like this," Gambhir said.

"Maybe in front of Sri Lanka or Bangaldesh they can get runs but in front of such a strong opposition it will not be an easy task so it is all about how the top 4 in the batting line up deliver.

"Last time when Australia had come to India and beaten us, the squad didn't have Josh Hazlewood and Mitchell Starc, so it is going to be a difficult task with them playing."

Link - https://cricket.yahoo.net/news/kohli-better-smith-white-ball-073843406?ncid=twitter_yahoocrick_fqod3tfleao

1 hour ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

https://www.hotstar.com/in/sports/cricket/australia-tour-of-india-2020/game-plan-india-take-on-australia/1260017700

hODZTxR.png

If only shami had played more games in Wc he wud have come close to Cummins

Laxman - Thakur ahead of Saini, Dhawan ahead of Rahul

Gambhir- Rahul ahead of Dhawan, 

lakxman is maha ch**ia......kohli is also same he will pick  what laxman said.

I'm fed up of Rat... doesn't have any idea or clarity about how to manage a team or the players. Iyer has shown great promise at #4 but this fool wants to accommodate his friend Dhawan and suddenly wants to change the batting order. Additionally he has to accommodate CSK contingent of Jadeja, Jadhav, Thakur, Chahar if fit. Indian cricket is a circus. 

Just look at Australia - they've ousted Khawaja who performed well last time Australia toured. They dropped Maxwell who blasted India last time. They select on facts and promise. Rat selects based on friendships and sponsorships.

Mark my words - India will rule world cricket the moment this clown retires/steps down.

11 minutes ago, Suhaan said:

Lets see how Dhawan does here,if he plays well , that's not pain,

If he fails ,we should bid him farewell there and then

T20s sides should never ever feature Dhawan as he will be at his usual best  scoring at run a ball,but odis are his strongest suit,lets see,

We should phase him out at earliest by this year

I think only we will be able to phase him out in ICF. Rat to dost ke liye kuch bhi karega. Guy is coming back from injury not yet in hot form ,still he cannot be benched for even  1 one game. Hail the king & his friendship. 

14 minutes ago, Suhaan said:

Lets see how Dhawan does here,if he plays well , that's not pain,

If he fails ,we should bid him farewell there and then

T20s sides should never ever feature Dhawan as he will be at his usual best  scoring at run a ball,but odis are his strongest suit,lets see,

We should phase him out at earliest by this year

If this happens, then the onus should be on Dhawan to perform at 3 instead of Rahul if at all Kohli feels he is obligated to play Dhavan. There  is no point in playing Rahul at 3 given that he has been pretty good as an opener in LOI cricket in recent times. He is also the future, and hence should get that advantage.

I am still bemused to see how the intelligent captain and coach is going to make this work. I suspect they will drop Rahul or ask him to keep by dropping Pant at the slightest opportunity. Because if Kohli is coming at 4 , that means Iyer at 5, Pant at 6 . Who comes at 7 then? Is it Jadhav or Jadeja? If it is Jadhav then it means you have a proper batsman at 7 but he won't be able to slog when required as that has not been his forte. Additionally you need to get 10 overs from him which could be a recipe for disaster or success depending on if you support India or Australia. On the other hand if it is Jadeja, then you get 10 overs from him but he can have those off days and the batting will suffer from low strike rate in the end overs. 

Or are they going to drop Shreyas to accommodate Jadhav and Jadeja at 6-7? That may mean they will play Thakur at 8 to give additional cushion to batting even if that means 20 overs from Jadhav, Jadeja and Thakur!!!

Or are they going to play Jadhav and Jadeja at 7 & 8 and drop Shami or Saini. Basically play two out of Bumrah, Shami, Thakur and Saini? And then get 20 overs from Jadhav and Jadeja !!!

Crazy how this bias to play pals is screwing up careers of individuals with potential because you are setting them for failure from word go. And the biggest loser is team India and the fans.

P.s. My 11 will be Rohit, Rahul, Kohli, Iyer, Pant, Dube, Jadeja, Kuldeep, Saini, Shami, Bumrah. As I said earlier not having Pandya at 7 is a loss as he is much more effective at 7 in LOI with high strike rate and give you 8-10 overs. You can use Dubey as a cushion for couple.of overs here and there. However given Hardik's absence team may be tempted to play Thakur as  he can bat and gives that balance, so that will be a practical decision but then the bowling will get slightly weakened. 

1 minute ago, RajBan said:

If this happens, then the onus should be on Dhawan to perform at 3 instead of Rahul if at all Kohli feels he is obligated to play Dhavan. There  is no point in playing Rahul at 3 given that he has been pretty good as an opener in LOI cricket in recent times. He is also the future, and hence should get that advantage.

I am still bemused to see how the intelligent captain and coach is going to make this work. I suspect they will drop Rahul or ask him to keep by dropping Pant at the slightest opportunity. Because if Kohli is coming at 4 , that means Iyer at 5, Pant at 6 . Who comes at 7 then? Is it Jadhav or Jadeja? If it is Jadhav then it means you have a proper batsman at 7 but he won't be able to slog when required as that has not been his forte. Additionally you need to get 10 overs from him which could be a recipe for disaster or success depending on if you support India or Australia. On the other hand if it is Jadeja, then you get 10 overs from him but he can have those off days and the batting will suffer from low strike rate in the end overs. 

Or are they going to drop Shreyas to accommodate Jadhav and Jadeja at 6-7? That may mean they will play Thakur at 8 to give additional cushion to batting even if that means 20 overs from Jadhav, Jadeja and Thakur!!!

Or are they going to play Jadhav and Jadeja at 7 & 8 and drop Shami or Saini. Basically play two out of Bumrah, Shami, Thakur and Saini? And then get 20 overs from Jadhav and Jadeja !!!

Crazy how this bias to play pals is screwing up careers of individuals with potential because you are setting them for failure from word go. And the biggest loser is team India and the fans.

P.s. My 11 will be Rohit, Rahul, Kohli, Iyer, Pant, Dube, Jadeja, Kuldeep, Saini, Shami, Bumrah. As I said earlier not having Pandya at 7 is a loss as he is much more effective at 7 in LOI with high strike rate and give you 8-10 overs. You can use Dubey as a cushion for couple.of overs here and there. However given Hardik's absence team may be tempted to play Thakur as  he can bat and gives that balance, so that will be a practical decision but then the bowling will get slightly weakened. 

They will never drop Dhawan from odis so early,they get nostalgic seeing  his odi batting tapes:phehe:

25 minutes ago, Jimmy Cliff said:

How dare you speak like that about the besht ever Indian captain? Gill and Shaw have to relaunch themselves as middle order batsmen if they want to play for India. Poor Kohli is just doing the best with what he's got. In fact India punched above their weight to make it to the Semis because of Kohli and his buddies.

Haha.. true that... Unfortunately this is what all the 'only IPL' fan warriors want to believe and oh of course to bring back Dhoni. 

Edited by Sandeep99