Anil Kumble: Head coach [Update Post 141: Kumble will teach India to deal with 'tough moments']

10 minutes ago, Austin 3:!6 said:

Errrr....because that is the correct decision. Only a fool would think of removing MS as captain from LOIs after recent success in Asia Cup and WT20.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Agree. He should be retained after his performance against Zimbabwe in T20Is. 

Agree. He should be retained after his performance against Zimbabwe in T20Is. 

It was a pretty poor team which toured Zimb and in T20s there are always chances that minnows will upset you sometimes.That is the nature of the game. Zimb just won a T20 series in BD. Didnt we lose 1 T20 last year as well in Zimbabwe? Dont remember who was our captain but no one raised question back then. Under MS, India had unbeaten 11-12 T20 winning streak...no one praised. But but but..1 t20 lost in Zimb and all hell break loose. No one remembers how we mauled the same zimb in ODIs. Its all about that 1 T20 which we lost.

Rubbish.

Not impressed with Kumble's captaincy tenure. In his defence, we faced Australia home & away during his tenure. Ind had to change captains midway through Aussie series .

He was pretty poor and overly defensive against Pakistan as well .We really should have won 3-0 but ended up winning just 1-0.

But doubt that would matter much .Kristen was a very defensive player yet was excellent as coach .

Just read in the India Today that Shastri was the favourite for the job until Kumble applied .

That alone makes me happy of Kumble decision.Would have been a serious melt down if Shastri continued as head coach .

Hopefully we can appoint a quality bowling coach for once like Zak or Streak .But rumors that Being Prasad being considered is dreading

16 minutes ago, beautifulgame said:

Just read in the India Today that Shastri was the favourite for the job until Kumble applied .

That alone makes me happy of Kumble decision.Would have been a serious melt down if Shastri continued as head coach .

Hopefully we can appoint a quality bowling coach for once like Zak or Streak .But rumors that Being Prasad being considered is dreading

Oh now prasad - one more villian into the story. This is going on like a suspense thriller.

47 minutes ago, Austin 3:!6 said:

It was a pretty poor team which toured Zimb and in T20s there are always chances that minnows will upset you sometimes.That is the nature of the game. Zimb just won a T20 series in BD. Didnt we lose 1 T20 last year as well in Zimbabwe? Dont remember who was our captain but no one raised question back then. Under MS, India had unbeaten 11-12 T20 winning streak...no one praised. But but but..1 t20 lost in Zimb and all hell break loose. No one remembers how we mauled the same zimb in ODIs. Its all about that 1 T20 which we lost.

Rubbish.

Dhoni is in the team for his batting and its unfortunate it regressed badly. He cant even finish matches against minnows. We need plan a back up match finisher. We are running out of time. 

Minutes into Anil Kumble being appointed, and baseless accusations thrown around as fact.  On what basis does anyone accuse Kumble of being biased towards Karnataka or RCB?  Kumble has a track record as a player on and off the field of doing right by Indian cricket and its players.  But someone of his stature is already being bashed on ICF pre-emptively.  

And before I get accused on any "bias" I'm from Bombay and NOT any type of 'south-indian'.   

Is there any wonder why this site is slowly withering away?  Instead of discussions on cricket, its all about venting and bashing and pushing one's own agenda.  The founding ethos of this site is just lost amongst the immature trolling.  

2 hours ago, Austin 3:!6 said:

Errrr....because that is the correct decision. Only a fool would think of removing MS as captain from LOIs after recent success in Asia Cup and WT20.

I was talking about why would these 3 not choose their own coach candidate and tow BCCI line on that. Then what is the point in having them on the interview panel. About MSD's captaincy thats a different point and I dont want to derail this thread

Conflict of interest 'can be easily resolved' - Kumble

India's new head coach Anil Kumble has said the question of conflict of interest will be fully addressed before he formally takes over the role. Kumble's involvement in Tenvic, a company "in the business of sports and consulting", has raised concerns around a possible conflict of interest in the past. Kumble has always denied Tenvic, which has cricketers as clients, is a talent management company.

Minutes after Kumble was announced as India's next coach, though, he tackled the conflict-of-interest question. "We [BCCI and I] have already discussed that," Kumble said. "Whatever needs to be done will be done before I take up this role officially. That has been discussed, and it has been clear with the BCCI as well. Something that can be easily resolved."

Later, when asked the same question in a separate Hindi interview, Kumble expressed displeasure at the repeated questioning around the conflict of interest. He compared it with a middle name erroneously given to him in the media during his playing days. "Whenever I am mentioned, the term conflict is added to my name," Kumble complained. "I played for 18 years. When I used to play, a middle name, Radhakrishnan, was given to me. Don't know where it came from. After I retired 'conflict' has become my middle name. I have spoken to BCCI. Whatever needs to be done we will do."

The BCCI expressed similar displeasure at being asked about the conflict of interest, but also suggested there was some action expected. "I think conflict of interest has become a very fashionable word to use," the board secretary Ajay Shirke said. "That has been completely addressed, and whatever decisions around that have been addressed prior to making this decision. There will be no conflict of interest as such before he assumes his role."

Kumble was happier talking about the prospects of the new job. He was excited at once again teaming up with four of his long-standing India team-mates from the 90s to the late 2000s. "I think it's a great thing for Indian cricket," Kumble said. "I certainly believe that the five players I played with throughout my career... Sourav [Ganguly], Sachin [Tendulkar], [VVS] Laxman are in advisory roles. Sourav in administrative role as well. Then Rahul [Dravid] in charge of the junior teams. The five of us have had a wonderful relationship off the field, and on it as well. The five of us will have to sit and see what is needed for the best interest of Indian cricket. The other stakeholders as far as cricket is concerned will come in. I am looking forward to all that."

Ganguly, Tendulkar and Laxman formed the cricket advisory committee that interviewed the 57 candidates and recommended their choice for the coach's job. Ganguly is also the chairman of the BCCI's technical committee and president of the Cricket Association of Bengal. Dravid coaches the India A and India Under-19 teams.

Kumble said it was not an easy decision to apply for the job given the travel that goes with it, but once his wife supported his decision he felt it was the right time to give back to Indian cricket. "It's a big responsibility," Kumble said. "I have seen the kind of pressure coaches have been under. They have the biggest accountability. I felt this was the right time to come back to the dressing-room environment, to be with the players, to help them prepare.

"I have plans. Both long-term and short-term. I have plans for the coming matches and series, but I can't plan alone. I will have to share my thoughts with the whole team. Will have to take their ideas too."

http://www.espncricinfo.com/india/content/story/1028815.html

8 minutes ago, tweaker said:

Any idea who will be choosing the support staff,. . .Advisory committee,Head coach or Thakur/ Shirke combo.

Will the support staff choosen from those who have applied for coach position or those recommend by Head coach 

They said tht would be announced soon may be even before Camp for Wi

Looks like shastri didnt agree to take batting coach

3 hours ago, beautifulgame said:

Anurag thakur said he approached Dravid for coaching staff n had he said yes there wud have been no selection procedure.

http://www.sportskeeda.com/cricket/bcci-president-anurag-thakur-says-rahul-dravid-was-first-choice-india-coach

about bowling b other coaching staff that is said to be announced soon, ganguly has been very vocal of having zaheer but depends on kumble whom he wants to be part of his staff

6 hours ago, bowl_out said:

Somehow get the feeling Kumble's appointment will go the Kapil Dev way... player of strong stature, but untested as coach... Good players always don't make good coaches...

Hope he proves me wrong.

Just to add... that was when the team's best batsman, Sachin was made captain.. uncanny similarity with Kohli pushing the doors for captaincy.. 

4 hours ago, sandeep said:

Minutes into Anil Kumble being appointed, and baseless accusations thrown around as fact.  On what basis does anyone accuse Kumble of being biased towards Karnataka or RCB?  Kumble has a track record as a player on and off the field of doing right by Indian cricket and its players.  But someone of his stature is already being bashed on ICF pre-emptively.  

And before I get accused on any "bias" I'm from Bombay and NOT any type of 'south-indian'.   

Is there any wonder why this site is slowly withering away?  Instead of discussions on cricket, its all about venting and bashing and pushing one's own agenda.  The founding ethos of this site is just lost amongst the immature trolling.  

Great adding disclaimers pretty much legitimizes opinions :nice:

Fact 1- Kumble is/Was a great player,A Legend who always proudly represented India,A Fighter

Fact 2- Kumble ran a sports management firm that represented a few Karnataka players

Fact 3- These Karnataka players despite being mediocre and not showing any ability to hang in at the international level kept getting either picked or being in the scheme of things time and time again.

Fact 4- Kumble has a clout with the players as well as BCCI-Will he exploit the clout to serve himself-I don't know -don't think so but as an ex-administrator and a businessman conflicts can arise.

So Based on these facts people are forming opinions.

No one questioned Vinay Kumar being picked the first or 2nd time as he was a proven domestic performer....but it is when he gets picked the 3rd,4th and 5th time red flag is raised.

On What basis did Aravind get picked in the T20 series against South Africa?

Mithun being selected is always on the horizon.

I really want to believe that Kumble has nothing to do with this as I respect him too much and want to be that way.

Edited by maniac