Supreme Court removes Thakur, Shirke from top BCCI posts

bowl_out

BCCI president Anurag Thakur and secretary Ajay Shirke have been removed from their posts by the Supreme Court of India at a hearing in Delhi on Monday morning.

The court said the most senior BCCI vice-president will take over as interim president while the joint secretary Amitabh Choudhary will replace Shirke as secretary. The court said the replacements will have to give an undertaking that the will adhere to the July 18 court order, which approved the majority of Lodha Committee recommendations.

"This is the logical consequence. Once the recommendations were accepted by the court, it had be implemented. There were obstructions, there were impediments ... obviously this had to happen, and it has happened," former Chief Justice of India RM Lodha, the chairman of the Lodha Committee, said after the court order on January 2. "The Supreme Court itself has ensured that its order of 18 July is now enforced.

"It's victory for the game of cricket and it will flourish, administrators come and go, ultimately it is for the game."

http://www.espncricinfo.com/india/content/story/1075059.html

Edited by bowl_out
3 minutes ago, bowl_out said:

Not much info on why the sudden decision.. Details awaited..

Anurag Thakur always seemed vulnerable and weak as BCCI president.. Enough of politicians led days for BCCI...  Hope somebody with cricketing background, yet a good administrator takes charge. 

Sudden decision. I guess everyone was waiting for this to happen.

The internal wrangling n maneuvering among the members n state boards is a complex process n now with Srini, Dalmiya n other stalwarts gone it's become e tougher.

They did not believe they could be touched, also some Lodha recommendations r not good but most are, hope Ganguly takes over n that might be the case.

19 minutes ago, Lannister said:

. He was young and had a good future ahead but shot himself in the foot with this fiasco. 

Yes, I am disappointed that it did not work out between him and the committee. I was looking forward to him helping USA cricket and bringing more cricket here like they did earlier against West Indies. He seemed to be the guy who reminded me of a better version of Lalit Modi.

The SC will appoint a group of retired judges to run BCCI.I wonder if retired judges are all knowing.They will claim hefty salaries and benefits.The ICC will treat BCCI as it treats other asian boards.There was one sport in India that was doing well,thanks SC for destroying it.

Now the only hope is that they conduct an election at BCCI ASAP.