Dharamsala pitch for the 4th Ind-Aus Test

7 hours ago, YCCC said:

How's the weather looking? It can be unfriendly up there this time of year can't it? It certainly was for the WT20 this time last year anyway. Basically I'm asking will it be worth getting up at 4am on Saturday then 5am thereafter (after our clocks go forward an hour on Saturday night)

its going to be moderately chilly to pleasant minimum 13 degrees to max 22. Partly overcast.

19 hours ago, Ultimate_Game said:

But we had spin friendly pitches at Dharamsala last year for WT20 around the same time. So how come they can't prepare a similar track this time round? If the pitch is conducive to pacers, Aus will win the match. You can't expect our bowlers to compete with Hazlewood and Cummins. Plus there batsmen will be better against pacers than ours.

I disagree.  I think our batting quality goes quite a ways in leveling things off compared to the relative bowling edge they have.  Hopefully it will be a fitting end to a hard fought series. I don't want either of the side to just keel over.  That would suck.

From cricinfo:

Pitch and conditions

Dharamsala's location and altitude have tended to offer some help to pace bowlers in the past, though during last year's World Twenty20 the pitch was slow and assisting spin. The surface has a thin film of green grass that is expected to be shaved off by match morning and some help for spin can be expected.

Kohli expected it to offer "good bounce for the spinners" and "good pace off the wicket for the quicks". Dharamsala should have pleasant weather through the Test, with maximum temperatures in the low-to-mid-20s, with forecasts of rain towards the second half of the match.

2 hours ago, sandeep said:

I disagree.  I think our batting quality goes quite a ways in leveling things off compared to the relative bowling edge they have.  Hopefully it will be a fitting end to a hard fought series. I don't want either of the side to just keel over.  That would suck.

Don't think so. In pace friendly/bouncy conditions Aussies batsmen would be favorites. Likes of Warner and their bits & pieces all-rounders will come into play whereas our lower order (Ashwin, Jaddu etc.0 along with some batsmen (Karun Nair) will struggle. The pitch better be spin friendly else we can kiss the Border-Gavaskar trophy goodbye.

3 minutes ago, Ultimate_Game said:

Don't think so. In pace friendly/bouncy conditions Aussies batsmen would be favorites. Likes of Warner and their bits & pieces all-rounders will come into play whereas our lower order (Ashwin, Jaddu etc.0 along with some batsmen (Karun Nair) will struggle. The pitch better be spin friendly else we can kiss the Border-Gavaskar trophy goodbye.

Even in "pace friendly/bouncy conditions", the likes of Ash and Sir will take care of Mr. Cardoons.  The ball is still going to turn.  Its not going to be roads like in Australia or England.  The SG ball will grip.   

More than the help for pace - toss and how/if the team winning the toss can maximize the toss advantage, is going to be key.   My point is that the gulf in pace bowling quality has narrowed between Aus and India - and that narrow gap is neutralized by a similar gap in batting quality, where we have the advantage.  Don't go weak in the knees at the very thought of a bit of pace and bounce.  Our team has the wherewithal to handle it.  

My concern is that the team has really put in a lot of hard yards this season with test cricket - they are physically and mentally overworked, to an extent that they are not used to.  And credit to this Aussie team, for having the character to really push us and require us to dig deep for another top quality effort to win the series.   Even if we end up having a bad game and draw the test or lose it, I don't think it will be because of pace - it will be more like Pune - mental and execution errors.  

I actually want the Dharamsala ground to have a bit of pace and bounce and help the bowlers.  Will make it that much of a better contest.  And help our team take 20 wickets that much quicker.  

What a test series this has been.  And what an excellent test season Team India has delivered.  Can't wait for tonight.

After considering the look on the pitch and all the talks, history of the ground, temperatures and atmosphere it seems to me as if it will be a hard track with a bit of swing early on everyday for the first 3 days and then it will start helping spinners a bit on day 4 and 5...

Seems like another draw coming in unless curator surprises everyone in the last moments...

2 hours ago, Zestian said:

After considering the look on the pitch and all the talks, history of the ground, temperatures and atmosphere it seems to me as if it will be a hard track with a bit of swing early on everyday for the first 3 days and then it will start helping spinners a bit on day 4 and 5...

Seems like another draw coming in unless curator surprises everyone in the last moments...

Swing should get wickets here. 

My guess is it will be like a better prepared Bangalore wicket. Decent bounce, perhaps a bit of swing early on because of altitude and morning start where temperature is bit down but will help spinners more right from day 1 because surface will be dry. It should also be decent for batting at least for first 3 days. Because pace is more on this wicket compared to Ranchi, there will be more chance of a result.

Edited by kubrickian
17 minutes ago, Ultimate_Game said:

Who the phuck prepared this pitch??? Where's the home advantage in the series decider?

9 minutes ago, Adi_91 said:

This is an Aussie pitch. Game over for Team India with useless Rahane leading the team.

No its not. Its a typical Indian wicket which is slow and low and will assist spinners. Swing early on is because of conditions in the air, not because of pitch. It will only be there for first hour or so especially with new ball. 

Edited by kubrickian