Bhuvneswar Kumar 20 matches 17 wickets at avg of 54

Big difference in his bowling is in earlier ODIs he used to bowl much fuller and allowed batsmen to drive and therefore having a chance to get a edge but now he is bowling more back of length and try to stifle the batsmen from scoring. Therefore, not having much of a chance to get wickets with new ball.

13 minutes ago, NareshK said:

Big difference in his bowling is in earlier ODIs he used to bowl much fuller and allowed batsmen to drive and therefore having a chance to get a edge but now he is bowling more back of length and try to stifle the batsmen from scoring. Therefore, not having much of a chance to get wickets with new ball.

When he bowled that length, Bhuvi had 44 wickets from 42 ODIs in the first 2 years of his ODI career..... average of almost 37.

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/player/326016.html?class=2;spanmax1=30+Dec+2014;spanval1=span;template=results;type=bowling;view=match

Was not taking that many wickets even then.

Edited by express bowling
10 minutes ago, express bowling said:

When he bowled that length, Bhuvi had 44 wickets from 42 ODIs in the first 2 years of his ODI career..... average of almost 37.

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/player/326016.html?class=2;spanmax1=30+Dec+2014;spanval1=span;template=results;type=bowling;view=match

Was not taking that many wickets even then.

I meant his first few series against Pakistan, Champions Trophy 2013, ODI tri series against SL and WI. He used to hit different lengths and was slower in pace but got more swing and picked more wickets.

6 minutes ago, NareshK said:

I meant his first few series against Pakistan, Champions Trophy 2013, ODI tri series against SL and WI. He used to hit different lengths and was slower in pace but got more swing and picked more wickets.

More swing was available against Pakistan '12 and CT '13.

the ball was not swinging this time in CT '17 or the other recent ODI series barring today's match.

3 minutes ago, express bowling said:

More swing was available against Pakistan '12 and CT '13.

the ball was not swinging this time in CT '17 or the other recent ODI series barring today's match.

I was talking more about his approach, not the conditions. His bowling approach has become more defensive.

2 minutes ago, NareshK said:

I was talking more about his approach, not the conditions. His bowling approach has become more defensive.

I know.... and I  was pointing out the reason for that.

As most conditions do not aid swing in ODIs  ( and even in tests these days ), bowlers want to develop that back of a length ball so that batsmen do not massacre them with those heavy bats.

But, I agree that our pacers need to bowl that off-stump, good length ball a lot more.

55 minutes ago, sandeep said:

I have no issues with people pointing out his flaws, or his lack of gaudy wicket numbers.  But to go as far as saying he's same as Ishant Sharma?  Come on now.   

He is a good option to be a 3rd pacer in the team, but not more than that. You need your 2 strike bowlers to have the ability to take wickets up-front.

I like Bhuvi, but you can't remain unlucky throughout your career. His record of 70 wickets in 70 matches is poor (avg arnd 39).

The thing is, we are playing with only 2 front line fast bowlers and you can't afford to have one of them averaging 1 wicket per match. He always does well in the IPL but doesn't translate that ot intl arena. yes he has added pace which is heartening to see but if he doesn't pull up soon we will have to look at alternatives.

He is good as a 3rd pacer who can control runs but if you are playing 2 then it has to be SHAMI (our best odi bowler) and Bumrah now.

Edited by OpeningBatsman
31 minutes ago, OpeningBatsman said:

but if you are playing 2 then it has to be SHAMI (our best odi bowler) and Bumrah now.

Bumrah and Shami are obviously our 2 best ODI pacers, especially as wicket-takers.

Only thing is .... Shami is injury-prone and it is better to rest him in low-importance bilateral ODIs when WC or CT is not around the corner.

I want Shami fit and playing all the test matches.

3 hours ago, sandeep said:

Keep flashing your impatience and dare I say, ignorance on this thread.  Did you watch his new ball spell today? If Kuptaan "Aggressive" had read the pitch right and had a gully in place, Bhuvi takes a  wicket with the first ball.  Instead it went for 4.  And IIRC another couple of boundaries were pure misfields that should have been singles. Banjo too many fans are passing judgements on bowlers based on reading scorecards.    

THE BHUVI shall have the last laugh.   On any type of track, he's yards ahead of Yadav and Ishant for ODIs or T20s.   

why do you have to bring in Yadav in every discussion about Bhuvi ? 

2 hours ago, express bowling said:

Bhuvi is a bowler who has transformed himself in the last 12 months and added a bagful of new skills.

He started off as just a medium-paced swing bowler ....good in only certain conditions.

From late 2016 he has added pace, yorkers and ability to hit the deck hard resulting in improved bounce and  bouncers,

Has improved his ability to seam the ball and his ability to bowl slower balls.

Is developing his reverse swing.

But still retains his accuracy.

Trying to be a complete and all-condition pacer.

I am all in favour of supporting pacers who are trying to improve so much.... as it showcases his positive attitude.

I think he will start picking up wickets in ODIs once he is more used to his new bag of skills and knows when to use which.

I will give him 20 more ODIs before even starting to judge him..... provided he bowls with the same effort he is doing nowadays.

Good post. Bhuvi is a thinking bowler and constantly improving cricketer.

Champions Trophy 2017 stats for the 5 matches:

Bumrah - Wkt 4, Avg 53, SR 63, Eco 5.0

Bhuvi - Wkt 7, Avg 28, SR 36, Eco 4.6

Bumrah, Shami and Bhuvi are our top three pacers when it comes to ODIs. Bumrah has done exceptionally well this series but Bhuvi comfortably outbowled him in Champions Trophy. We must remember that next World Cup is also in England so Bhuvi is a must as one of the three pacers there.

As many others have pointed out he has improved a lot in LOIs and will be an asset outside sub-continent in all formats!

In the meantime we should also develop another good ODI bowler like Shardul or any other youngster, which seems like it is going to be impossible under Kohli.

Edited by Forever Indian
1 hour ago, Vilander said:

Good post. Bhuvi is a thinking bowler and constantly improving cricketer.

International matches are not for improvement over a long period. Definitely not 70 ODIs.

Bhuvi is trying to hit the deck harder shortening his length. It is not his cup of tea since it may spoil his natural length.

6 minutes ago, Kerberos said:

International matches are not for improvement over a long period. Definitely not 70 ODIs.

Bhuvi is trying to hit the deck harder shortening his length. It is not his cup of tea since it may spoil his natural length.

Could be right. He probably is suited for swinging conditions and cant use hard pitches as well as some others. But he is a very good prospect none the less.

Bhuvi and Bumrah are the only two Indian bowlers who can bowl in the last 10 overs and contain. When you play against teams like England, Australia and South Africa, you will need to bowl well in the last 10. Bhuvi has the ability to bowl yorkers at the death.

Agreed he has not been able to take wickets in this series. Remember that in the last series he played in West Indies, he took 2 for 28 from the total of 10 overs that he bowled in the entire series. And he bowled well in CT 2017. So if anything, we are trying to judge him from the first 2 games this series. At least in the most recent past.