Where does Bollywood rank (quality wise) among Indian Film Industries (Telugu, Marathi etc)

surajmal

5 hours ago, Mariyam said:

Poor attempt of hinting at a communal bias in an industry where it doesn't really exist.

FYI, Khwaja refers to Moinuddin Chisti aka Khwaja Garib Nawaz; a sufi saint revered only by Muslims of the sub-continent. And by many non Muslims too. What are these 'other cultures' that you talk about?

they will try to insert some unnecessary character in every movie to make it relevant for other communities..

like in the past Rajni movies, Rajni will always have a muslim friend , that friend will always protect his back and stay with him thick and thin ( and most of the time that muslim freind will sacrifice his life for Rajni :phehe: )

3 minutes ago, velu said:

they will try to insert some unnecessary character in every movie to make it relevant for other communities..

like in the past Rajni movies, Rajni will always have a muslim friend , that friend will always protect his back and stay with him thick and thin ( and most of the time that muslim freind will sacrifice his life for Rajni :phehe: )

Haha

13 hours ago, Mariyam said:

That is the whole point. For many people movies are a break from reality. Where they exist in some make belief land that takes them away from their daily hassles. And its this market that Bollywood taps really well. Has been doing that since ages. An escapist outlet for all the woes of the aam aadmi.

Not disagreeing to this.But OP mentioned "quality".

What quality are we talking about ? The choice of subjects, the treatment,screen magic,art direction ?

I would say Bollywood scores in art direction (Tamil and Telugu films have bettered it) but that apart, the ethos and magic are missing.I don't "feel" anything when I watch Bollywood movies.The last Bollywood film I liked was Dangal but even then it was "filmi".

I would like to see films like Johny Gaddar or Badlapur more.

22 hours ago, maniac said:

There is absolutely no creativity....Music is copied....stories are copied....comedy is

copied...it is not a new thing though. Even the old films and some songs that we look with so much affection are mostly “inspired or copied” only thing is there wasn’t any awareness those days.

do you think that film industry bother about our opinion abt plagarism ?

sj-suryah-in-spyder.jpg

9 hours ago, velu said:

That's not a bias. That is typecasting of a character. Another over the top (and frankly weird) stereotype in Bollywood of the 90s is as a wafadar/watanparast Muslim side hero/inspector dies, he says the kalma. This is absolutely not practiced anywhere. But I've seen this in many movies and its very lolworthy.

Edited by Mariyam

On 12/20/2017 at 8:20 AM, Gollum said:

Content wise, historically the Bengali and Mallu film industries have delivered better movies, even the Tamil industry has delivered some great ones. Marathi cinema is rated highly by some of my friends who have good taste in movies but I have only watched 'Court' and am mostly ignorant about their other movies. Honestly none of these can match the Hindi industry in terms of budget cum hype/fanbase/global reach but since OP explicitly mentioned 'quality' I won't digress. Bollywood had great content once upon a time, till the end of the 70s it was high quality but then the quality dipped, only in this decade do you see some resurgence on that front. 

Very difficult to rank the best but Bollywood will be in the top 3 in anyone's list, mainly because of their old classics. Very easy to rank the worst....Kannada cinema. I don't understand why Kannadigas even attempt to make movies !!!!  Watching any Kannada movie is medieval torture. I often have to travel by KSRTC to and forth to Hyderabad/Chennai  and if it is day time, my entire day is screwed thanks to those buggers boring me with another Kannada movie during the bus journey.

you should watch telugu movies if you think kannada ones are torture. they have improved slightly in past 5 yrs, but from 70s until late 2000s they sucked.

as for quality, I'd pick marathi and malayali movies as being better than bollywood in terms of "quality" (which is a personal call in the end)

2 hours ago, Yoda-esque said:

Not disagreeing to this.But OP mentioned "quality".

What quality are we talking about ? The choice of subjects, the treatment,screen magic,art direction ?

I would say Bollywood scores in art direction (Tamil and Telugu films have bettered it) but that apart, the ethos and magic are missing.I don't "feel" anything when I watch Bollywood movies.The last Bollywood film I liked was Dangal but even then it was "filmi".

I would like to see films like Johny Gaddar or Badlapur more.

I suggest you and ( @surajmal ) the following of the recent releases

Newton

Secret Superstar

A death in the Gunj

@yoda-esque I'd further recommend ventilator

18 hours ago, velu said:

:hysterical:

On 12/21/2017 at 2:25 PM, Mariyam said:

That's not a bias. That is typecasting of a character. Another over the top (and frankly weird) stereotype in Bollywood of the 90s is as a wafadar/watanparast Muslim side hero/inspector dies, he says the kalma. This is absolutely not practiced anywhere. But I've seen this in many movies and its very lolworthy.

Do they  show amy other  typical muslim character in movies? There are these..

God fearing, religious

or

Terrorist,  Gangster 

I have not seen any other type. Sal imJaved  could add lines where AB Sr could go to temple and  yell at Shivji..Khush to bahut hoge tum. Can they show a regulur muslim char who drinks  alcohol and  cheats on namaz.?

5 hours ago, randomGuy said:

Quality stuff @velu @surajmal @Mariyam @Gollum

UP guy is so cool :hail:

they missed a chance to take a dig at tamil/golts :phehe:

yesterday  tamilnadu eductaion minster Sengottaiyan introduced stress management sessions for tamilnadu school students :hail: 

he is frm my caste and from my we belong to same gotra ( loosely )  ..

( best perfoming TN minister and applauded by eeryone across party lines :icflove: )  

:hahaha: @BeautifulGame :hehe:

_7e183224-81bc-11e7-929c-3545fa1ac73c.jp

Edited by velu

Kannada movies knock off sub standard Telugu,Hindi and Tamil movies With substandard actors and substandard technicians...that says something. Mallu Films well I think Mohanlal and Mammootty are top class actors but when someone says Malayalam films my first thought is not so kosher if you know what I mean :giggle:

Edited by maniac

Hindi movies make more money srk salman and akshay are in top 10 grossers worldwide. Quality is subjective. If we are talking of cgi budget or ost music score grossing then its down to individual movies and their directors where there is lots of cross movement for instance AR. Rahman is quality but is he tamil or hindi movie industry ?.

In terms of cgi budget and execution all time best indian movies are close to 90s hollywood or current hollywood b-grade. So it really does not matter who does better amoung them.

Indian movies are about variyingly retarded audience and pathetically predictable and gaudy formula. Suits India all too well with its mediocrity. Bollywood kollywood tollywood sandalwood hardwood flacidwood stinkingwood bhojpuritharkiwood etc.

Some Mallumovies and some mainstream in hindi like irfan khan and in tamil certain method actors make good movies which are much more quality even with lower budgets than the flag ships.

On 21/12/2017 at 5:21 AM, velu said:

Rajni will always have a muslim friend , that friend will always protect his back and stay with him thick and thin ( and most of the time that muslim freind will sacrifice his life for Rajni :phehe: )

:phehe:this was reserved for black characters in hollywood hehe.. Some examples of brown indians too now

6 hours ago, coffee_rules said:

Do they  show amy other  typical muslim character in movies? There are these..

God fearing, religious

or

Terrorist,  Gangster 

I have not seen any other type. Sal imJaved  could add lines where AB Sr could go to temple and  yell at Shivji..Khush to bahut hoge tum. Can they show a regulur muslim char who drinks  alcohol and  cheats on namaz.?

I think in the movie Gandhi, Jinnah is portrayed as a drinking non namazi Musalmaan. But that was not a Bollywood movie.

Jokes apart, there are many instances of what you mention. For example, in the movie Hindustan ki Kasam, Ding Dong Salim's (that is his name, for real) character Nawaab is a drinking non practicing Muslim, who drinks even during Ramzan. There was quite a ruckus about it in his residential locality in Yaari Road. But it died down quickly.

The example that you cite: "Khush to bahot hoge tum" is not an attempt to denigrate Hinduism or Lord Shiva. It is a very powerful scene where the protagonist questions the very existence of God and how God could be so unjust to the woman who has prayed to him everyday without fail. Just that Vijay Verma happens to be a Hindu (by birth) in that scene. I thought it was a scene well done, and no one could play that scene with as much panache as Amitabh Bachchan. Its really :confused: that you bring a Hindu/Muslim angle into this.

There is a similar scene, though by a much lesser actor in Mughal-e-Azam, where Anarkali's mother is upset with God and questions his justice, when emperor Akbar orders Anarkali to be shackled and thrown into the dungeons. Should I also be offended?

Edited by Mariyam

18 hours ago, Mariyam said:

I think in the movie Gandhi, Jinnah is portrayed as a drinking non namazi Musalmaan. But that was not a Bollywood movie.

Jokes apart, there are many instances of what you mention. For example, in the movie Hindustan ki Kasam, Ding Dong Salim's (that is his name, for real) character Nawaab is a drinking non practicing Muslim, who drinks even during Ramzan. There was quite a ruckus about it in his residential locality in Yaari Road. But it died down quickly.

The example that you cite: "Khush to bahot hoge tum" is not an attempt to denigrate Hinduism or Lord Shiva. It is a very powerful scene where the protagonist questions the very existence of God and how God could be so unjust to the woman who has prayed to him everyday without fail. Just that Vijay Verma happens to be a Hindu (by birth) in that scene. I thought it was a scene well done, and no one could play that scene with as much panache as Amitabh Bachchan. Its really :confused: that you bring a Hindu/Muslim angle into this.

There is a similar scene, though by a much lesser actor in Mughal-e-Azam, where Anarkali's mother is upset with God and questions his justice, when emperor Akbar orders Anarkali to be shackled and thrown into the dungeons. Should I also be offended?

My point was not a hindu-muslim angle into that scene. Writers of that era were free to make heroes detest God , won't enter temples, angry with god, proud to be a Nastik, all were considered cool. While, muslim chars were the opposite, god fearing pious humans who come in between the hero and the bullet to die. Very rare in mainstream movies where muslim chars could do any different. The same ABSr in coolie couldnt be portrayed as Nastik, but is a pious man with a pet eagle named Allah Rakha. Regular hindu seeming hero heroines singing lines with allah, subhanallah, etc. This muslim appeasement to win muslim audience..I am not sure it was a policy of inclusion or a socioCommie view of denying Hindu religion. Rant over.