KL Rahul at no.3-option worth exploring?

SK_IH

I don’t mind dropping Rohit to accommodate Rahul...will shock some but that is ok..,but here is the deal...Dhawan,Rahane and Pandya  and even to some extent Vijay and Pujara are all suckers who will find way to fk up and will make way for the king of Kings some time or the other and as we know by know when the king gets angry and motivated records tumble like 16 6s, highest odi score,2 t20i 100s ,IPL hat trick,fastest T20i 100,WC qf Mom,CT sf mom and the latest addition to my armory 3 200s.

37 minutes ago, SK_IH said:

will rohit play or pandya,thats another question worth debating?

You have included Rohit / Pandya at 7 in the OP

That won't happen

There will either be 5 batters + Pandya      or 6 batters ...    then Saha, 1 Spinner , 3 quicks

As Shastri has confirmed that Vijay and Dhawan are opening, the only way for Rahul to play is replacing Rohit or Hardik  ( first he has to play ...  only then the issue of his batting position arises )

Choosing 6th batsman  vs Pandya should depend on the pitch.   Flat pitch would need extra bowler and seaming track would need extra batsman.

Edited by express bowling
3 minutes ago, maniac said:

I don’t mind dropping Rohit to accommodate Rahul...will shock some but that is ok..,but here is the deal...Dhawan,Rahane and Pandya  and even to some extent Vijay and Pujara are all suckers who will find way to fk up and will make way for the king of Kings some time or the other and as we know by know when the king gets angry and motivated records tumble like 16 6s, highest odi score,2 t20i 100s ,IPL hat trick,fastest T20i 100,WC qf Mom,CT sf mom and the latest addition to my armory 3 200s.

Just as when I had started enjoying your posts...

32 minutes ago, express bowling said:

You have included Rohit / Pandya at 7 in the OP

That won't happen

There will either be 5 batters + Pandya      or 6 batters ...    then Saha, 1 Spinner , 3 quicks

As Shastri has confirmed that Vijay and Dhawan are opening, the only way for Rahul to play is replacing Rohit or Hardik  ( first he has to play ...  only then the issue of his batting position arises )

Choosing 6th batsman  vs Pandya should depend on the pitch.   Flat pitch would need extra bowler and seaming track would need extra batsman.

i guessed,having invested so much in pandya,he will be a certainty in the xi.

Pujara is the best option at 3 as he can protect middle order from new ball. runs are not much important at that point. runs will come later in the day if we don;t expose middle order to new ball. if rahul is to be played, he should replace rohit at 6. since he is a test opener, he can be used to negotiate second new ball as well.

Edited by renjith
20 minutes ago, renjith said:

Pujara is the best option at 3 as he can protect middle order from new ball. runs are not much important at that point. runs will come later in the day if we don;t expose middle order to new ball. if rahul is to be played, he should replace rohit at 6. since he is a test opener, he can be used to negotiate second new ball as well.

i dont like this theory ,runs are always important in cricket,cricket is all about scoring runs n taking wickets

there is no guarantee runs will come later in the day,there can be another scenario,you dont score anything for a session ,you go nowhere and suddenly lose two wkts and you are in trouble

1 hour ago, SK_IH said:

i dont like this theory ,runs are always important in cricket,cricket is all about scoring runs n taking wickets

there is no guarantee runs will come later in the day,there can be another scenario,you dont score anything for a session ,you go nowhere and suddenly lose two wkts and you are in trouble

Did you watch the last 2 tests in UK 2014? If our top 4 can't grind it out we will get many sub 100 scores. What will you prefer 60/2 in 30 overs or 120/6 in 30 overs? In UK and SA survival at the top is more important than quick runs, in Aus it is a different matter altogether. Remember Durban 2010 and Jo'berg 2006...how much we restrained our stroke play while batting, we need to be very gritty next month. 

1 hour ago, SK_IH said:

both strategies have advantages and disadvantages. but considering indian batting line ups history of collapses against quality bowling line ups and seam/bounce friendly picthes, its more logical to go for the defensive tactic atleast in the first 20 overs. for that particular reason pujara is better suited than rahul.

imo, if we can avoid batting collapses upfront, we have good chance of winning in south africa.

14 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Did you watch the last 2 tests in UK 2014? If our top 4 can't grind it out we will get many sub 100 scores. What will you prefer 60/2 in 30 overs or 120/6 in 30 overs? In UK and SA survival at the top is more important than quick runs, in Aus it is a different matter altogether. Remember Durban 2010 and Jo'berg 2006...how much we restrained our stroke play while batting, we need to be very gritty next month. 

13 minutes ago, renjith said:

both strategies have advantages and disadvantages. but considering indian batting line ups history of collapses against quality bowling line ups and seam/bounce friendly picthes, its more logical to go for the defensive tactic atleast in the first 20 overs. for that particular reason pujara is better suited than rahul.

imo, if we can avoid batting collapses upfront, we have good chance of winning in south africa.

see the point of playing rahul at 3 is two fold ,firstly will get him in the xi,which is essential,its a sick joke that one of our better test batsman will be on bench on the start of the tour

secondly,i think playing attacking cricket always has advantages ,by attacking doesnt mean you have to slog ,play normal cricket,respect good balls but with a mindset to score runs as well,which i somehow dont expect pujara to do

vijay

dhawan

rahul

kohli

pujara

another batsman/pandya

doing this pujara will be sandwiched between kohli and two more capable batsman ,i think this combo is worth trying